What pisses me off

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

POSITIVEPERSON

Playing With Angels
Reaction score
I like reading the various boards,because I learn things about myself ,epilepsy and others.

But what pisses me off is reading how pple let their Drs overload them with meds cause of the side effects of the Aeds or ignore what their patients are telling them. I find it so insulting. I would like to tell them all check out alternaitve med Drs. But instead I just get angry and hurt for them and the Drs neglegence. where is the common sense of the Drs?
Why aren't they listening to their patients needs. Don't they realize they overloading their patients with meds hurts them in the long run?

Well I guess I vented!!!! Thanks for listening!!!!!

Riva

Riva,

I agree with you and many others have
complained likewise in similar nature or
fashion.

Some Doctors are:

* caring and listening
* influenced by the Drug Companies (kick-backs)
* regulated by their own Insurance Industry
* regulated by the HMO Industry
* have to meet the Hospital criteria
* time is money, therefore greed runs them
* too business minded
* laid back and do not allow others to manipulate them
* will give you their home phone number
* won't give you their home phone number

I could go on and on but it would make me
ramble.

As you can see there is a wide spread differences
among the Neurology Field; but it's not just that
area, but it's all over in the Medical Profession itself
and a problematic issue as well.

It's UNBALANCED.

I think there are two issues at play. One is the state of the medical industry in the USA (heavily focused on pharmaceuticals to control symptoms rather than cure root causes) and another is the personality of individuals (which can range all over the map from business/career oriented to caring/personable).

Most docs are going to stay within the parameters for helping patients that are laid out by government and insurance companies.

Does anybody know what they do in Europe. The rebel in me is tired of being told I'm too stupid to know how to take care of myself.

I like reading the various boards,because I learn things about myself ,epilepsy and others.

But what pisses me off is reading how pple let their Drs overload them with meds cause of the side effects of the Aeds or ignore what their patients are telling them. I find it so insulting. I would like to tell them all check out alternaitve med Drs. But instead I just get angry and hurt for them and the Drs neglegence. where is the common sense of the Drs?
Why aren't they listening to their patients needs. Don't they realize they overloading their patients with meds hurts them in the long run?

Well I guess I vented!!!! Thanks for listening!!!!!

Riva

I've found that when I was younger most neurologists were only concerned with stopping the seizures at any cost, even if the AED's incapacitated me more than the E. Recently I've found more neuros to be more concerned with what makes me function the best. This is in Canada so I don't know if the trend is similar amongst doctors in the US or if it's just who I've encountered recently.

I have found that we are at the point of stopping the seizure at all cost. Though with our third neuro, we are asked what we would like. I like this approach better. However, other than AED's other alternatives are not suggested.

Other alternatives don't seem to be acknowledged up here either except in extreme cases when they'll consider a VNS or surgery.

I finally convince our fourth neuro to let me try an increase in magnesium and she agreed to this.

I've found it easier to ask if something (like using magnesium) might have adverse effects instead of asking permission. Then I try it on my own if it doesn't.

Ha Ha ... good point.
What I told my neuro was that I had been looking over the calendar for the past year and there was one month that did not have any seizure activity. I was writing down everything that I had done or changed that month and I realized that month I had increase her magnesium to 1000mg. So her neuro said, "Do it again. It is known to have anti seizure properties."
So there you have it.

I like that your neurologist is familiar with the effects of supplements (& possibly other things) and not just AED's.

I'm going to have to try using magnesium myself & see if I notice a difference.

mag

What type of magnesium? Every time I try it, I get increased bowel production. Or is this normal for any form of magnesium?

What type of magnesium? Every time I try it, I get increased bowel production. Or is this normal for any form of magnesium?

I was wondering the same thing? which type is better to take if you cant find Ionic magnesium...

I am of the understand that ionic magnesium is the better form. It is sublingual so it goes directly to the cell. When the pill sits in the stomach the unused portion does tend to increase bowel production. That can be good for some people. In fact that is why I am using chelated magnesium for my daughter, since I want this to occur.

I do not sell this product, but I can tell you where I purchase mine. Perhaps you could email the doctor and find out how to order it.
Either PM me or send me an email if you are interested.

Magnesium Citrate is what I take...

...had less trouble with the bowel production than simple Mg.
:twocents:

...curious Spencer what do you mean by simple Mg?

Back
Top Bottom