What silver lining surrounds your cloud?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wobblez

New
Reaction score
:banana:I'm sure most of us would prefer not to have to deal with our health issues but when you think about it, there is always someone worse off, and epilepsy can bring good things into our lives too.

For instance, through epilepsy I have learnt just how supportive my friends and family can be. Especially my mum!

I've lost my driver's license but it's prompted me to buy a bike as an alternative form of transport. It's also helping me get fit. I'm sure the supermodel body will materialise within a week!

I've saved on fuel!

I've learnt a lot about my body and how my brain works/doesn't work!:pfft:

Having epilepsy will make me a better counsellor when I finish my psychology/counselling degree. I will be able to relate to people with other medical issues.

I have some very funny stories! :roflmao:

I've come to meet all of you!

I appreciate every day I have =)

Ok, your turn!!

:banana:I'm sure most of us would prefer not to have to deal with our health issues but when you think about it, there is always someone worse off
I try not to get too upset about my epilepsy & my seizures because I think there is always people worse of then me. At less I am still able live a pretty independent life & can still do a lot of things other people without serious health conditions can also do.

I am unemployed at the moment but I refuse to sit at home feeling sorry for myself so do voluntary work to keep myself busy. At the moment I volunteer at a charity shop (St Vinnies Op Shop) mainly doing office work but also help with other things & also go to a nursing home once a week to do exercises with some of the residents & do 1 on 1 with residents.
I have been volunteering at both the charity shop & the nursing home for 7 1/2 years (give or take a couple of years or few months when I had some work or was recovering from my surgery last year) but I love going to both places.
I have made some very good friends at the charity shop & was very close to one of the residents at the nursing home who I visited for 7 years but she passed away in September :(. I think if I didn't have epilepsy then I would have had a permanent Full Time job & probably wouldn't have met the great people that I have met through my voluntary work.

I used to be a shy person & as a kid I didn't have many friends but having my seizures come back made me a stronger & more confident person. I am no longer as shy as I used to be & some people who have only known me in the last few years don't believe me when I say I used to be very shy & had no confidence lol. I have some really good friends, some of my friends also have epilepsy who I have met via the epilepsy foundation or epilepsy forums.

Last edited:
CQ, you sound like a very positive person. Are you available for cloning? =)

I love your avatar and your signature too!

CQ, you sound like a very positive person. Are you available for cloning? =)

I love your avatar and your signature too!

Thanks Wobblez,

I do try to stay positive about life & am usually a pretty happy person.
But I haven't always been positive, when I was in my teens I was really shy, hated being around people & was pretty low in confidence. When I got to my early 20s I realised that avoiding people & putting myself down wasn't very good so tried to be more positive.
One of the reasons I love my voluntary work is not only does doing voluntary work at an office give me some extra skills but it also helped me become more outgoing & not so shy around people :).

As for being available for cloning, I don't think Australia or the world could handle having 2 of me lmao :p

Last edited:
thank u....you all bring a ray of hope....a bright ray of sunshine that was badly needed on this tough day....thank u.

The main thing for me is I've found out who my real friends are.

I don't think it's mainly because I've got epilepsy but it's because I don't drive so it's hard to get together with people. The friends that I have will come over and get me so we can go out plus they call just to talk.

Even my boyfriend that I had when I found epilepsy broke up with me because I had to move back home with my parents and it was too hard to get together and he didn't want to have to deal with that, really didn't even try.

I guess the only positive thing with all that is because my memory is so bad that I don't remember him too well or the friends that I don't see. No loss there in my opionion!

Plus I met my husband who can deal with me and all the problems I have with out thinking twice. How often do you find that?

I also have some pretty funny stories to tell. Also since I've got a bad memory I get to hear some funny stories about myself too. Can't believe I've done half the things that I did (the other have I can believe :roflmao: ) but it's great!

Really, this is nothing compared to what so many people have to deal with. I still have a home, job, family, support and overall good health. You should listen to the song "Not To Far From Here" by Michael Crawford. That gives you perspective!

Its taught me tolerance and acceptance of others no matter what. Sounds corny and cliche but its true. I've learned that where there is a barrier, there is a way around it and nobody should ever be considered "limited".
It seems nowadays that people are quick to pass over others because of a disability, and Im glad to be able to say Im NOT one of them.

It certainly teaches you to appreciate what you have. It also inspired me to get private health insurance lol!

It reflects how insecure others are when they mock epilepsy. That is their flaw...just as blatent and open as a seizure.

My silver lining <3

1) Having fun with my husband
2) Playing with my little girl
3) Moving soon! And going to get a puppy! YAY!
4) Reading books and watching favorite shows
5) Family pictures coming soon
6) Using Retin-A for acne and for possibility of reducing future wrinkles (fingers crossed that it works. Hate adult acne! Been struggling with it for 2 years now)
7) Going on my Facebook for support after I have a seizure and being able to see what my family is doing <3
8 )Taking pictures of my little girl and husband when we go out to the park or the zoo
9) A future trip to Disneyland in September
10) Going to the JC to take some classes! I love school :)
11) 4 year anniversary since my first date with my husband! In two days <3 Still head over heels in love each other

There is a lot to be thankful for and I try to plan things to look forward to to keep my mind off of health problems

Last edited:
TO: valeriedl <3

Same here but my previous boyfriend tried his best to help me but I really was holding him back from going after his dream to be a doctor. I was just diagnosed, going through my parents divorce, and deeply depressed and needy. I was also only 18 years old and he was 21. I was too young to be living with a boyfriend. My first boyfriend. I also had to move back in with my dad and I had to help raise my five younger siblings. Love them to death.

My husband helps me through thick and thin. We stick together even though we are opposites. We kind of can relate to the main characters in, "The Notebook." Haha cheesy but we argue like crazy but we are so in love. Together until the end. I'm so happy that you found someone to help you with your epilepsy. Yay us!

I think of us as princesses. We get to be driven around where we need to go.

I sometimes just think by welcoming someone into the forum,helping someone,giving someone that little bit off support or advice,doesnt give me a silver lining.But its good to know you can use your experiences to help others just begining theirs,its great to see on this forum how everyone helps each other,no questions asked and never ask for anything i return.

Here are mine;

I feel I have a greater understanding of synthesized happiness. It doesn't seem to matter what happens or how dark the nights get, there are still stars in the night sky. I think dealing with epilepsy has really helped adjust perspective for me. The most major side effect of my latest batch of seizures is that some of my memories disappeared. I know they were there. Some are partial, but having parts of your life simply vanish makes the rest seem that much more precious. Time is precious, and memories are priceless. This is something I would never have understood had they not been ripped from my mind.

Seizures have made me much more humble. I have limits, and I am who I am. Having my brain revolt from mistreatment because I push just a little too hard trying to obtain things that don't matter has been a good thing for me.

I've also seen some things as a direct result of my seizures that have shown me clearer than words ever could how the people that truly care about me feel.

One of my hobbies is wargaming. Once I entered and won a tournament after a tonic-clonic and three hours of sleep. Stupid and irresponsible to even make the attempt, but that victory still feels like the greatest of my life.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom