What's In That Pill?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
Link to article

WHAT'S IN THAT PILL? | Many Chicago docs say they give out placebos

January 4, 2008
BY JIM RITTER Health Reporter /jritter@suntimes.com
Nearly half of Chicago doctors who responded to a survey say they have given dummy pills or other placebo treatments to patients -- a practice some ethicists find troubling.

In the survey, 48 percent said they have given at least one treatment when there was no evidence it would work. Only 12 percent said placebos never should be used.

University of Chicago researchers surveyed 466 internists at the U. of C., Northwestern University and University of Illinois at Chicago. Fifty percent responded to the survey, published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine.

Placebo treatments included vitamins, herbal supplements, saline infusions, dummy pills and doses of medicine too low to be effective.

One of the most common placebo treatments was giving antibiotics for viral infections that don't respond to antibiotics.

Some ethicists oppose deception
A placebo is a harmless pill or procedure that has no known physical benefit. Patients often get better because they believe in the treatment. For example, one study found that placebo pills work 80 percent as well as antidepressants.

Another study found that patients respond to placebo pain pills by producing natural substances that act like opiate drugs, said lead researcher Rachel Sherman.

In her survey, doctors said placebos can calm a patient; supplement other treatments; satisfy a patient's unjustified demand for medication; control pain, etc. A few doctors said they give placebos just to get the patient to stop complaining.

Some ethicists say the practice deceives patients and violates their right to be fully informed. The American Medical Association says a doctor should use a placebo only if the patient is told and agrees to it. A placebo must not be given "merely to mollify a difficult patient."

Researchers also asked doctors about other therapies. Eighty-three percent said meditation and yoga can be beneficial, followed by biofeedback, 76 percent; good emotional health, 74 percent; complementary and alternative medicine, 69 percent; social support system, 65 percent, and prayer or spirituality, 53 percent.

My faith just dropped another notch. When will honesty be a priority?

Imho.....

...When will honesty be a priority
...for me, I teach my kids it is PRIORITY ONE.
If I can't be helped by someone's available technology...they can help me by being HONEST about that fact!
I have way better things to spend my $$$ on than false hope.

...My faith just dropped another notch...
...I still have faith there are honest people out there...I am just saddened dishonesty has to run so rampant in what SHOULD be a 'respected' profession.

:twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents:

Oh I still have faith... that is why I still carry my insurance card. Problem is... the more knowledgeable I become, on subjects that I did not choose to be an expert in, I realize that those that did choose this as their profession, should not have been put on a pedestal just because they have a few more letters after their name. Perhaps I just put too high of an expectation on the group as a whole. Also, too high of an expectation that this great country could actually figure out the insurance / pharma / medical mess that is currently in place. I have not heard of an intelligent plan yet.

Also, too high of an expectation that this great country could actually figure out the insurance / pharma / medical mess that is currently in place. I have not heard of an intelligent plan yet.

What is the insurance/pharma/medical mess in the US? Maybe a public system like Canadas would be a good model to look at. I know that as long as I do my taxes my AED's are subsidized to varying degrees depending on my income so that they're never unaffordable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(Canada)

Link to article

WHAT'S IN THAT PILL? | Many Chicago docs say they give out placebos

Not to be a SMARTY PANTS, but what are
THEY trying to accomplish ... the proof that
"IT'S ALL IN THEIR HEADS?"
(pardon the pun folks)

I wonder about THEM sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom