What's new with me

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Elsie

Stalwart
Reaction score
Since this is the thread for all thing not epilepsy related...here I am

With a tale about my eyes. I just had cataract surgery on both eyes and 1st had some weakness but dr. managed to get new lens implanted. 2nd eye was worse with the weakness and dr. had to put the new lens in a different spot than the usual one.

I had to have laser surgery to open up new channels because my pressure went sky high and boy was I ever sick from that. Now in that eye I can barely see the big E on the chart. 1st eye isn't real good either because it has an injury caused by the weakness which caused a part to tear.

They're working on it, seeing the dr. tomorrow to see what else they can do. Not sure what that might be.

It's a mess. Like many of you who can't drive, I'm in that boat now too, but for a different reason. Anyway... nice to come back here and read around.

Hey Elsie --

Is your vision at least a bit better than it was before the cataract surgery?

Also, not sure if this is relevant, but there's a condition called Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH) that can cause seizure-like symptoms through pressure on the cranial and optic nerves, along with resulting vision problems. You can read more about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_intracranial_hypertension

Just getting back here. I will look up that Idiopathic Int. Hyper. thing. My 2nd eye wasn't getting sight back...and a week later the surgeon told me he had unfortunately put the wrong lens in my eye. I could barely read the big E on the chart. So I went back in and had that lens taken out and another put in.

Now my long distance vision is almost 20/20 and I'm getting by with readers 2.0. Everything is so much brighter, I am surprised that the brightness almost seems too bright. I have to wear sunglasses if I even just step outside.

My thoughts have been with all of those who can no longer drive. I couldn't drive for about 4 weeks and then had to get the courage to do it even though I am legal. It's a whole different way of life to not be independent.

I read about the IIH thing and wow what an awful thing. I am glad it sounded different from what I had. I just had a weakness in the capsule which holds our natural lens and the zonules which hold the capsule in place. 1% of patients having this surgery have these sorts of things...and having to change a lens is extremely rare also. When he had to put my new lens in front of the iris instead of in the capsule in back of the iris, that covered up the channels which let fluid in and out...and why I needed that laser to open up new channels to get the pressure down. That's what they do for glaucoma now.

I know more about eyes now than I ever thought I would.

I can't believe the surgeon put the wrong lens in your eye.! Well, actually I can believe it, but I'm glad he was able to correct it and that your vision has improved.

I read about the IIH thing and wow what an awful thing. I am glad it sounded different from what I had. I just had a weakness in the capsule which holds our natural lens and the zonules which hold the capsule in place. 1% of patients having this surgery have these sorts of things...and having to change a lens is extremely rare also. When he had to put my new lens in front of the iris instead of in the capsule in back of the iris, that covered up the channels which let fluid in and out...and why I needed that laser to open up new channels to get the pressure down. That's what they do for glaucoma now.

I know more about eyes now than I ever thought I would.

likewise I got squint.I had the laser it stops potential of one of many types of glaucoma usually the simple glaucoma badly named because it far from simple

Seagull, yeah that kind of laser kinda hurts. The laser I had in the other eye to repair the torn capsule and its cloudiness was a breeze, just heard a bunch of clicks and didn't really feel anything. My left eye got all cloudy inside from the pressure being so high. I was the talk of all the techs during their breaks (I was told) because my eye was in such bad shape when that happened. I'm very grateful they were able to fix it.

I hope your eyes are fixed for good.

Back
Top Bottom