When dating did you/do you tell that person you have epilepsy before hand?

informed your dates before or after

• before

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • after

Votes: 27 49.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

In my case, since my E is pretty-well-controlled, I wait until I get sense of how thing are going. I'm not hiding anything, it's just not first-date material...

I agree with this logic.
I was married 2 years before I was diagnosed ~ but ~ if I was single, I would wait a few months to see where the relationship is going. I've been pretty lucky ~ my seizures are 95% controlled so it really isn't an issue.

Randy

Well... the topic came up last night during a telephone conversation. He wanted to know why I was on a leave of absence from work. So I told him I had a seizure disorder. At first he was stunned. I thought he was going to hang up and never even speak to me again. But then he started asking questions, I told him more about what kind of seizures I have, and to what extent they are under control. I didn't go into all the problems I'm having with the meds, which is my major problem right now. With conversation and information he eventually came around. Though I think we are on kinda shaky ground right now. I'm relieved he knows. I think he felt me holding back on something, and it was beginning to bother him.

He used to be a counselor, and really, the only seizures he was familiar was TC and absence. He is very compassionate about differences and issues in people. As he put it, "everyone has one, and this is just yours" We'll see what happens....

I've been the kind of person who gets to know a person as a friend first before anything goes any further.
And I always tell them off the bat.
Because in my opinion it's a bit rude not to be honest about it and it shows me how they're going to be about it.
Cool or not cool.

Update: the guy dumped me for having a seizure disorder. Nuff said?

I began dating someone as of recent and explained everything before we became an item. Actually had a few seizures and after being told what happened in the morning I was elated that some research was done on their part, as they want to be there for me. I found the one!!!

if he's going to be that much of a dick he's not the kind of guy you want to be with anyway. hey don't feel bad, my last boyfriend dumped me because my brother projectile vomited on him :roflmao:

Yeah, and he used to be a school counselor (degree in social work), so you'd think he'd be all understanding and sympathetic. But nope.

Wow Endless, that guy was a real jerk to have dumped you. On the other hand, if he was too inadequate to deal with your health issues then he wasn't the right guy for you (or for a lot of people!).

This is kind of on topic but off topic. Has anyone ever had a desire to find a partner who has the same illness? Someone who can truly understand and relate to you. That is almost the only way I can see myself finding a girlfriend/wife. Otherwise Im way too shy and quiet in person and I always have been because of my epilepsy. Although it hasnt been active for almost 5 years now, it still affects me in those small ways.

For the record I would want to get to know her first, then bring up the epilepsy. I spent too many years as a kid being judged day in and day out because of my epilepsy. So Im very hesitant about who I tell about my epilepsy.

I meant to type, "sorry to READ you got dumped"
sorry I can't type.

I told my DF before we started dating well I kinda didn't tell him i showed him... We were at a sleep over theme part together this was before I got put back on meds. I was really good friends with the people and so i got the pull out couch he had a bad back so i offered to share the pull out couch with him. He accepted and about two hours later bam right on top of him and he still asked me out after that and we are coming up on a year of trials neurologists eegs mri's and med combos together and he still wants to marry me.

Me neither of 117 members of my graduating class, I was the only one how did not go to either Sadie Hawkins, Sweetheart, or Prom. That is a total of 10 chances, I never would of thought my life would ever come down to this I just turned 23 years old and I have not been kissed by a girl!!!

I told my girlfriend immediately - she's been my wife for 15 of the 20 years we've been together - + Every mtg I go into 4 work I tell folk
I am E & if I have a Sz they shud call ambos & point 'em @ my medicalert bracelet - it's never a prob & it shouldn't B 4 NE1 else! - BW; Col

I don't care who knows. My son told me a few days ago it embarrassed him. And he has it. But he's only 12. Any man I date I tell before hand. I just don't see any reason to hide it.

Hiya "SD" - You have no call to be embarrassed about anything - take it from a past master who may tell all one day!
(Only arguable thing you have to be embarrassed about is having me as a friend!!).

I love my girlfriend, I have vomited on her, bleed on her, and peed on her while sleep. She still snuggles with me and helps me with my laundry.

Back
Top Bottom