When to take meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
So I take 5 meds and take them at set times. I always take them at 9:30 am/pm and within a 5 minute interval.

My question lies with my Dad, he has had two TC seizures. And idk how many others. But he takes Keppra at noon/9pm within a 3 hour interval. My point is, he doesn't take them at set times, he misses multiple doses a week. Is this more negative than good for him?

i take my meds anywhere from 730am to 11

at night anywhere from 930-1130pm

you ll be fine unless your seizures/body is very particular.

Most half lives of AED's are beyond 12hrs

Keppra has a relatively short half-life (about 6 to 8 hours), so it's extra-important to take it promptly and consistently. The dose and your father's metabolism can also play a role of course, but if he's having seizures while on Keppra, he should do his best to take it at regular intervals.

Hi finalpoet,

When I was taking Keppra I was to take it at 6 am and then again at 5 pm. I didn't stay on it long because it gave me a bad temper and it increased my seizures. I wish you and your Dad that best of luck. May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue

Hiya, I was on Keppra (but only keppra) my neuro said to take them in the "morning" (i took them BEFORE my coffee because they made me really tired) and he told me to take them and hour before i went to sleep which I usually did. He told me to go to wake up and go to sleep at the same times AND to get enough sleep (7+ hours) because lack of sleep is a trigger, which I didn't do...
Good luck x

Sent from my SM-J330F using Tapatalk

I try to take my morning dose between 9 & 10am, and my night dose between 8 & 9pm. My night dose is slightly larger than my morning one.

I also take my morning dose between 9-10 and nightly dose between 9-10pm

I take three different meds. Two of them I take twice a day - 7am and 7pm. One of them I take three times a day and I take them at 7am, 1pm and at 7pm.

I try to take my meds with a set time frame between so they will be spread out evenly during the day. I also have an alarm set on my cell phone to make sure I don't forget to take them and that I take them on time.

I take my B vitamins (my meds which I use to control my seizures) morning and night. As a child I took vitamin B6 morning, lunch, dinner and night.

Since I introduced the multi B complex tablet (with my doctor's consent) the times at which I take my meds are a bit more relaxed. I have a rare condition known as PNPO Deficiency

Also see: (((*** 40 years on vitamin b6 ***)))

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Last edited:
When starting Keppra it was 7am and 7pm. I suffered for a long time with the side effects of facial numbness and dizziness on the evening dosage. These would always get worse after eating so the doctor recommended pushing the 2nd dosage back to 9 or 10. It worked great for me.
Missing dosages can lead to seizures and the frequency of that happening should be rare. I did learn one thing about Keppra from an anesthesiologist before a surgery. The drup will speed up kidney function and required that I receive more anesthetic that normal because my body will remove medications faster. I laughed a little when he told me because I now knew why Tylenol said it lasted 6 to 8 hours and at best did 3 to 5.

Back
Top Bottom