Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

A Good Source..

Another suggestion is ask your Dr for samples because your lacking funds.

Ask the pharmacist if he knows of any free med programs your eligeable for.

GOOD LUCK
Riva
I've just become a member of Waldbaum's "Live Better - Wellness Club" where I'm able to get a medication otherwise not covered by my insurance. They have these Wellness Plans at other stores like Walmart, Wallgreens (all the Walton's!) but you have to find the right store which will cover your med. eg Walmart wouldn't cover my Clonopin but Wallbaum's was able to. Just call the pharmacy in advance to see if your med is covered on their long list, bring in you prescription. It's only $9.99 to join and your med is under $10.00. Laurie:rose:

Sorry to hear some of you people can't afford your medication. I wish you luck in finding asistance to get your medicine(s).

I can afford the medication, generic or brand. However, I have no control over whether or not a patent expires and generics become the only choice for medication. That just happened to Mysoline 250mg made by Valeant. It's a risk for us to switch from one generic to another generic, brand name to generic without knowledge of the source of the generic manufacturer. Generics may or may not have the exact therapeutic level of the drug or the exact filler. That's a major risk.

Generic/Brand Drugs

I can afford the medication, generic or brand. However, I have no control over whether or not a patent expires and generics become the only choice for medication. That just happened to Mysoline 250mg made by Valeant. It's a risk for us to switch from one generic to another generic, brand name to generic without knowledge of the source of the generic manufacturer. Generics may or may not have the exact therapeutic level of the drug or the exact filler. That's a major risk.
I think you've got something here. Generics are not as effective as brand names.That's what I've come to understand. What I didn't know was that generics and the switching back and forth could be a major risk for us. I'll be speaking to my doctor about that! Thanks - Laurie

I think you've got something here. Generics are not as effective as brand names.That's what I've come to understand. What I didn't know was that generics and the switching back and forth could be a major risk for us. I'll be speaking to my doctor about that! Thanks - Laurie
There is a House Bill 98 concerning this exact issue. The Epilepsy Foundation is heavily involved in making sure we have continuity in medication with the same therapeutic level as we had in the past. I do not know the status of that bill, but it might be worth researching to see what is happening with our representatives.

Major pharmaceutical companies, various neurologists and some people living with epilepsy were involved in discussion of this bill.

It appears as if the FDA did not require a sufficient amount of testing on a wide enough population.

As a general rule, I have always taken brand name only. There was no variation allowed in a therapeutic drug, the fillers were consistent, and any variation in my blood levels were my own responsibility.

It's encouraging to know somebody is out there fighting for our rights.

In PA, here's a link:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...d=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0098&pn=0122

This is the original Generic Equivalency Drug Law:

http://ecapps.health.state.pa.us/pdf/ddc/generic33.ps.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, here's a score for big pharma just today....

I went to get my 'Trileptal' refill an hour ago (expecting to pay my usual $30 copay since I pay through the nose for an upper-tier insurance plan)....

...the girl at the counter smiles and says "Okay sir, that'll be $179"....

I about passed out!!!!

Now I'm risking breakthrough seizures like I did with the switch from Zonegran to Zonasimide a year ago.

I fear my year of being seize free may soon come to an end due to circumstances not of MY doing!.....can this be right?....can this be ethically and morally right?

:ponder:

This 'switching' to different formulas is 'playing chicken' for us epilepsy patients......it's a potentially DEADLY game. Insurance should set the cost high enough UPFRONT so everything else in the world will adjust to 'deal with it'. Then the need to switch to a 'cheaper' drug is not necessary because your insurance is calling for it!

Side note...I would give up MOST of my other 'coverage' to apply the same amount of money to cover my meds if that kept me from having to SWITCH meds like this insanity.

Pardon me, but this is pure-d-o bull-shit.

Help...not hindrance.

Sorry for the rant, it's not my style. But after gas prices and subsequently affected areas of life.....I'm PISSED!

:paperbag:

Wow that is quite a leap Speber.
I have not even tried to keep track of our vitamins, I view them as food these days. I was told you can write this off on your taxes if you itemize.

I gather from your post that you made the choice to go generic. Are you sure you want to risk that? I went to get Rebecca's I think it was Gabapentin, and they told me it was not available. I said what? They were trying to sell me something similar, but then the pharmacist called around and found another pharmacy that had it. Then I learned of the new risks with that drug and they had to pull it. Decided at that time Rebecca would come off of it. Told her doctor that if a drug was coming in from India and had unacceptable ingredients in it, I didn't want it in my daughter.

I am starting to believe that the AED route is a bit of a scam.

speber...this medication malady is maddening and the lack of it is truly life threatening for us. At one point, I told my case manager that I was so fed up with the system that I wanted to flush what meds I had left down the toilet since it looked like I couldn't pay for them anymore. I was just exasperated and despairing. She took that as a suicide threat and had me carted off to the hospital! Totally unnessary. A bad call! As the doctor was walking me down the hall towards to the psych ward I reasoned a trick. I told him, that in fact, this might be a good place for me. He lightened his grip on my shoulder and I bolted out the exit door. Only Laurie can escape the prospect of being placed in a mental ward so speedily! What with the insurance situation is, here, it can drive you to the stuff of which such stories are made. My co-pays are still high (Lamictal's back on the scene) . speb, ranting is a good thing. Thank God we all have a place, here, to stomp around...
Always Laurie

Last edited:
RobinN...

What risks with Gabapentin??what dodgy ingredients from india?? does this affect TEVA gabapentin?? does this affect gabapentin that's in England?/ I only ask as I'm shovelling 1200mg/day of it down my throat,have been for a year now,and now I'm a little worried........

Walbaum's Wellness Card

All the Walton related stores have a similar program where you fill out a brief form, they give you a card and enter your information in their computer. Not all the stores cover all the medications. So you'll have to call and check. I only pay a few dollars for my Clonopin! Always Laurie

I feel so lucky to live in the uk, over here if you suffer from epilepsy and some other conditions you can get a form from your doctors which you fill in and then the doctor fills in the other half to confirm you have the condition and then your doctor sends it off and you get a medical exemption card which entitles you to free medication, not only your epilepsy but any which has been a great help for me so i feel so lucky to have this in place

Thank you, brain and all of you for your resources. For nearly 10 years I've been on five medications, necessary to keep my Bi-Polar Condition in check. These medications have truly been a "life line" for me.

For the "first time" I received an Application for Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs THIS DOES NOT ENROLL YOU IN A MEDICARE PRESCRIPTION DRUG PLAN I filled out the forms fearing that my "life line" will be compromised, cut off. The "system" is springing on a new surprise for me, one I thought I'd ever have to encounter.

I'm accustomed going through trials with Medicade/Medicare. Now, with Medicade I'm trying to explore why their $415.00 per mo. Overage is covered, then "often times not". This causes much confusion and doubt when it comes to making doctor appts.

I have a case manager and she does the best she can but I'm often the one who gets on the phone with Medicare or Medicade with questions. They usually assume I'm the case manager, so I roll with it figuring it will work to my advatage collecting informaton.Getting some ANSWERES!

In NY State, the case managers and those who work in the system are clueless as to why things are changing. They do their job: punching info into their computers and in my case managers case, handing over forms for me to fill out and send.

If I am denied Lamictal which works double duty for Epilepsy and Bi-Polar I will be at a "dangerous" loss because it costs nearly $400 per mo. Clopopin: I'm able to get at Wallbaums for $10.00. This help is little but I'm gratefull for it. Now, I have to look into more sophisticated advocates, just so I'm prepared.

As Lamictal is my greatest concern...Thank you, Bernard. I'll be calling "Glaxos Smyth Kline - Bridges to Access. Jotted down their number and it will go into my new "Medication" file, along with the other sound resourses provided here which I'll be jumping on because I don't want to wait for the "wrecking ball" to hit.

As this is the first time I'm getting no guarantee that my medications will be covered, I'm frightened and frustrated with the system. I'm frightened for myself knowing who I'd become, once again, without my meds. I know many of you have probably gone through this particular trial but I'm new at the prospect of being "medication homeless"

Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
Tate, you were looking for a price check on drugs from around the world. I may be able to give you some idea of how good you've got down under. Here in Massachusetts US I am currently unemployed and uninsured. MA does have a state healthcare plan but my coverage is pending as they determine just what I am eligible for. I'll know with in 90 days. To get a months supply of the 400mgs of Lamotrigine I take the local cost is $552 the brand name, Lamictal is over $700. From the mail order in Canada that I use, wher it takes them two days to get the fax and then five days to get the shipment started on its ten day journey from the UK, 112 tabs of 100mg lamotrigine cost $160 112 of 200mg cost $119. Dont ask me to explain how the 200mg pill is less expensive that the 100 but form the research I've done from everywhere I've gotten price that appears to be the rule.

Warning!

WARNING!

Buying Medications from Across the Border - FDA

Looks Can Be Deceiving: The Risks Of Buying Medicines From Across The Border Or Around The World

(NAPS)—When it comes to buying medicines, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) believes that nothing is more important than safety.

With this in mind, FDA is warning consumers not to purchase medications from foreign countries, including Canadian Internet pharmacies. Non-FDA approved products sold from these outlets can be risky and dangerous. The FDA’s warning follows a recent announcement by the government of Canada that it cannot assure the safety or effectiveness of medicines being purchased by U.S. consumers from Canada.

In the U.S., FDA sets high standards to ensure that medicines are high quality, safe, and effective products. Around the world, FDA is considered the world’s gold standard. Because of FDA’s efforts and science-based decisions, millions of Americans can get the medicines they need and be assured of their safety and effectiveness when they buy from pharmacies and pharmacists licensed and located in the United States.

Outside the U.S., all bets are off. When buying medicines online or from so-called “store-front” pharmacies, consumers enter the world of what could be unsafe and risky products. Prescription medicines bought outside of the U.S. may be old, poorly manufactured, improperly stored or even counterfeit (fake or tampered with). Crooked people from around the world are shipping counterfeit, dangerous and illegal medicines every day. This safety gap is real: the World Health Organization has determined that more than 80 percent of medicines are counterfeit in some countries.

Bottom line: Buying medicines from outside the U.S. is risky business. Don’t take the risk.

To make sure that an Internet site or pharmacy is a state-licensed pharmacy, is in good standing, and is located in the United States, check with your state board of pharmacy or with the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) at www.nabp.net.

Consumer Education: Buying Medicine From Outside the United States

Last edited:
Excellent point Brain! I do still have a lot of faith in the FDA in spite of the past several food scares. I wish they would really reinforce creating an exact replica of a drug when it goes generic.

The logic behind a tiny pill costing so much just seems undaunting to me. Why?!

Excellent point Brain! I do still have a lot of faith in the FDA in spite of the past several food scares. I wish they would really reinforce creating an exact replica of a drug when it goes generic.

The logic behind a tiny pill costing so much just seems undaunting to me. Why?!

I don't understand the Government either, ask them,
after all, they're the ones who can afford to shell out
$150+ for a $60 sledgehammer at a Hardware Store,
or I could get one for $5 or cheaper at a Yard/Garage
Sale that would be new or nearly new!

:?

I think they call that...

:ponder:

RED TAPE

but "I" (and many others) call it "waste of
taxpayers' money!"

Lamictal

We have insurance. My kids are on Lamictal and when I went to pick it up this month I was handed this odd package. I told the pharmacist that this wasn't my meds and I wanted what my Dr prescribed. She told me the generic was fine and I told her she should have went to med school but that until my Dr saw fit to change the prescription, I wanted it as written. They gave me the lamictal. I'm not sure how long that will last but I will fit it to the end.

I spoke to someone in Indiana who told me they went to an ER, was dx with E, and sent home. That since she did not have insurance, they would be no meds. Can that be true? How do folks get their meds without insurance? or any other therapy needed?

Thanks and great site*
joan*

Back
Top Bottom