Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

How do folks get their meds without insurance?

Theres a list of patient assistance programs that the drug companies provide that Bernard posted further up the thread. You can get your drugs for free from the source if you qualify. I got my Lamictal and Mysoline for free for a while thru these programs.

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear some of you have trouble paying for your meds.

I'm so glad that in the UK we get free healthcare, free meds for kids, people with kids earning a low wage, over 65's, students (I think!) and most people with long term illnesses, encluding epilepsy. Even if we do have to pay for our prescriptions we only pay £6.10 per time.

Having said that, I'm sure plenty of you can think of reasons you're glad not to be living here! (I can think of a few lol!)

Good luck to everone, and I hope you gets the meds you need xxxx:e:

Latest Updates on Medication(s) Assistance

Some sites to check out for help with medication cost:

http://www.needymeds.com

https://www.pparx.org/PreQual.php

Patient Assistance Programs For Seizure Medications

ATIVAN

Wyeth Pharmaceutical Assistance Foundation — 1-800-568-9938

CARBATROL

Roberts Pharmaceuticals (Shire US Patient Assistance Program) — 1-908-203-0657

DEPAKOTE

Abbott Laboratories — 1-800-222-6885

DIAMOX

Wyeth Pharmaceutical Assistance Foundation — 1-800-568-9938

DIASTAT

Xcel Patient Assistant Program — 1-908-850-9902

DILANTIN

Pfizer, Inc. — 1-800-707-8990

FELBATOL

Medpointe Pharmaceuticals — 1-800-678-4657

GABITRAL

Gabitral Assistance Program — 1-800-511-2120

KEPPRA

UCB Pharmaceuticals, Inc. — 1-800-477-7877 x 7

KLONOPIN

Roche Labs — 1-800-285-4484

LAMICTAL

GlaxoSmithKline Bridges To Access — 1-866-728-4368

MYSOLINE

Xcel Patient Assistant Program — 1-908-850-9902

NEURONTIN

Pfizer, Inc. (Connection To Care) — 1-800-707-8990

PHENYTEK

Bertek Pharmaceuticals, Inc. — 1-888-823-7835

TEGRETOL, TEGRETOL XR

Novartis Patient Assistance Program — 1-800-277-2254

TOPAMAX

Ortho McNeil Pharmaceutical — 1-800-577-3788

TRILEPTAL

Novartis Patient Assistance Program — 1-800-277-2254

ZARONTIN

Pfizer, Inc. (Connection To Care) — 1-800-707-8990

ZONEGRAN

Elan Medical Needs Program — 1-866-347-3185

Sharon, I don't know what it's like for you Americans. When I travel anywhere outside Canada, I make a list of the Rx (type out) by their chemical names (Phenytoin = Sodium Dilantin, for example) and have my dr. sign the "Rx." sheet for emergency purposes should I lose any Rx while travelling. This tells the pharmacist exactly the Rx which I'm taking. When I was in Germany, this emergency sheet was presented to a pharmacist there & I was able to get the required Rx b/c I lost some Rx in transit.

I have been on felbatol for about 17 years but a few years ago I was injured at work and was perm /partially disabled. I have lost my insurance and have been trying to pay out of what savings I had to buy my felbatol, while cutting back on it also. I am getting close to the time I will not be able to afford that med any longer . That means trying to make it without for as long as possible. I wish if anyone out there has any suggestions to drop a line , I would be forever grateful.

Have you tried to contact your dr. to see if (s)he will give you any samples of the Rx you need? Usually the pharmaceutical reps have samples of the Rx they're promoting. Also, ask your pharmacist if (s)he can give you any Rx on compassionate grounds. As a last resort, what about approaching the ER, telling them of your plight? Is everything that difficult that they's refuse someone Rx if they need it?

Unfortunately most of those suggestions are good but with felbatol and taking 6 per day the options dry up fast. The biggest problem is its cost, at about $611 per month. The pharmacy is doing everything they can. But I do thank you sincerly for doing all that you can to come up with something that may work. You are an obvously kind and decent person . thanks again
Tom

FREE! Prescription Drug Assistance…

Below are five key resources that can help you get the meds you need at little or no cost...

Free Medicine Program

Established by volunteers,the Free Medicine Program helps patients substantially reduce or completely eliminate their prescription drug costs.

Pfizer for Living Share Card

Card for low-income Medicare seniors (individual income less than $18,000; couple less than $24,000). Covers Dilantin, the most commonly prescribed seizure medicine for seniors, as well as Neurontin, Celontin, and Zarontin.

The Partnership for Prescription Assistance

Brings together America’s pharmaceutical companies, doctors, other health care providers, patient advocacy organizations and community groups to help qualifying patients -- who lack prescription coverage -- to get the medicines they need through the public or private program that’s right for them. To access the Partnership for Prescription Assistance by phone, you can call toll-free, 1-888-4PPA-NOW (1-888-477-2669).

Rxhope.com

A patient assistance company partially funded by the pharmaceutical manufacturers. It promises to speed requests for no-cost medications. The website includes information on which medicines are covered by assistance programs.

CostCo members...

...I just figured out how inexpensive my AED's are there. Thought I would pass it on. On 2 AED's alone I save around $200/month when compared to Target. I honestly don't know how this isn't widely public knowledge, but I hope some of you can benefit from the information.

Good Luck,
speber
:rock:

Speber, are the drugs dispensed @ Costco a generic brand? Some drs. will prescribe only brand-name drugs b/c of the slight variation in the Rx for patent copyright purposes or for ease of bulk purchases.

Just wondering ...

Speber, are the drugs dispensed @ Costco a generic brand? Some drs. will prescribe only brand-name drugs b/c of the slight variation in the Rx for patent copyright purposes or for ease of bulk purchases.

Just wondering ...

You are correct about that, but they carry both I if I read their pricing schedule correctly. The price differential I specified was between two generic alternatives. In other words, I was getting generic drugs at both Target and CostCo. I had to jump ship with the brand name long ago due to price...but I had no idea generic could have been THIS much cheaper! It is worth checking out if you are a member. If not, membership cost is not bad compared to lost savings.

Just remember, not all drugs are created equal...whether they're brand-name or generic. (I used to write about this stuff.) If you find something that works for you...try to stick with it. (Easy for me to say. As independent freelancers, my husband and I have to pay $2,000+ a month for health insurance. OUCH!)

Medications and Insurance

I am soo glad I have found this site! I am fighting ssdi right now, and have no insurance and no medication, and have a more than one type of seizure and I am scared and frustrated.... The ones that scare me the most are happening when I am asleep or about ready to fall asleep., I wake up my heart racing and sweating very bad,... I have petit mal, and grand mals also and myo clonic clusters... I saw the numbers to call for the companies that have my meds... I am staying positive and have an attorney for ssdi.. and hopin to move closer to my family...

Those "sleeping seizures" are the worst. I used to wake up with the inside of my head spinning around 500 mph...clutching my head...tearing at my hair. It was so painful, scary, confusing. Everything was A-OK externally, but inside my head it was like a tornado hit. That pain I'm familiar with. If you don't get help from the prescription sites I mentioned, try suffing the web, I'm sure you'll find more.

In fact, somewhere among the posts, Bernard has a whole list, drug by drug and how you can get it at reduced cost or free. Maybe you shoukd send him a message...

Ruth Ann, keep applying for the SSDI! It will be worth it for you in the long run, as dragged out as the process may be at the moment! You NEED some form of insurance to pay for expensive Rx to control your seizures.

Please get an attorney involved once you have done everything the legal requirements ask of you to follow through with. also keep a diary of EVERYTHING which has transpired between you and everyone with whom you're involved in trying to get your SSDI. It will substantiate your claim!

With the racing heart, it's possible there's apnea involved. It's well worth it to locate somebody who can provide you with a CPAP or sleeping test.

Patient Assistance Program?

Dear Fellow Epileptic -

The Patient Assistance Program is where the medicine manufacturing
companies provide free medication to epileptics who are suffering from seizures.

How long does the Patient Assistance Program last? (In other words, how long do they provide the free meds?)

Thanks,
- Nick

For American Seniors

This was in the Canadian News
As of Jan. 1, more than 1 million low-income seniors are newly eligible for more generous prescription drug benefits under the "extra help" program. Benefiting from a new law are those with life insurance policies and those who regularly get money from relatives to help pay household expenses but were previously disqualified because of too many assets or too much income.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100108/drug_benefits_100108/20100108?hub=Health

Back
Top Bottom