Who do you tell?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I tell whoever needs to know --- teachers, school nurse, swim instructor, karate teachers, family, babysitter, etc. My close friends know, neighbors too. I feel like not speaking about it makes it taboo and doesn't help to educate anyone. I think you need to do what is comfortable for you and what is safe for your daughter.

My husband doesn't like telling people and I don't think anyone at work knows much about what we are going through with our 14month old. I am the opposite as when people ask about my kids I tell them a bit just the basics, ie our 14month has a medical condition. If I know them really well and they I ask I tell them more and it has been amazing the world of information that has been opened up to me by being pretty open about whats going on with my son. His child care knows and they even asked me to come along to a whole centre meeting before he started and talk to them and show video's of his events so that if someone happened to see him in the play yard having and event they would know what it was, if it was "normal" for him and how to handle the situation. I am sure when he's older it may be a bit different but fingers crossed he grows out of whatever is going on by then.

Back
Top Bottom