[Info] WHO health article, good to catch up

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

qtowngirl

CWE Supporter/E Hater
Supporter
Reaction score
here's an e article from WHO (world health organization), mostly right on the money with even a few surprises, ie:

In the United States, until the 1970s, it was legal to deny people with seizures access to restaurants, theatres, recreational centres and other public buildings.

that wasn't very long ago, wow. it's fairly long to read, but good to 'familiarize' ourselves with global info, there's so damn many of us.
hugs and love :)

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs999/en/

This surprised me

In the United Kingdom, a law forbidding people with epilepsy to marry was repealed only in 1970.

A lot of laws regarding health in England used to apply in Ireland. Thankfully not the case any more.

in spite of being a liberal I gained a lot of respect for Pres. GW Bush hearing of work he has been involved with in Africa with epilepsy

People with epilepsy and their families can suffer from stigma and discrimination in many parts of the world.

For me I don't know too much about "and their families" but I have lived in both the US and Canada for many years having seizures and I personally do see in both countries "People with epilepsy... can suffer from stigma and discrimination in many parts of the world." And people - even my family and friends - want to know why I always opt to slip away from anyone when seizures hit me. (I am one of the lucky ones who has 10-20 seconds prior to most my seizures where I can slip away... cause I don't want anyone around when my seizures hit.)

Knowing what I have known via seizures and been part of here in Canada and the US for close to 20 years, I personally do not see too many changes in the midst of society, aside from the fact us seizure people have "access to restaurants, theatres, recreational centres and other public buildings." Yes I do see there are some people who are willing to help us, there are. But, aren't most people around those of us having a seizure exactly the ones who "...suffer from stigma and discrimination..."?

hi ;)
i don't know that i'd say 'most'.... but maybe a 40/60 split? 40 being those who either support, admit they don't know anything about it, or don't throw out stigma.

Ok as for stigma, I don't feel overly stigmatised, but quick head count raise your hands if ...

A) People have asked 'can you catch it'?
B) Tried to stuff something in your mouth eg belt, ruler, spoon.
Or and my personal favourite
C) Wouldn't you rather just kill yourself than you know, not be able to drive.
(like my entire worth is dependant on my ability to operate a car sheesh).

Mostly this is about dispelling myths and educating people about epilepsy but we have a thread entitled 'do you tell people about your epilepsy' so I think to a degree stigma even in western society is there. Not the same as in third world countries, but I was shocked about the 'colonies for epeleptics and feebleminded' and the forced sterilisation that went on within living memory. Lets not forget those they went before us.

Q

Last edited:
a) not asked directly but i've read about it happening, esp. on here :( hugs.
b) yes i was to carry a wooden tongue depressor in my purse when i started having grand mals a decade ago, which i did for a couple years. i didn't have another g.m. before meeting a new guy (still with) who was trained in first aid and when he heard he was pretty astounded, told me to throw it away and tell anyone who knew about my g.m.'s to NEVER try putting anything in my mouth, they could get hurt but mostly b/c us swallowing our tongue is a myth. my mom used to be a nurse (in both an asylum and hospital) and was floored to hear it (she gave me depressors to begin with), but followed new protocol as i had already thrown them all out.
c) OMG, someone asked you that? disgusting. but, their downfall as they obviously don't get there's so much more to life. lost my license 7 times and (thanks greatly to family and friends) it wasn't that bad. devastating to lose it but not worth suicide by far. geesh.

i just googled your 'colonies for...', never heard of it but WOW. thank god (that for the most part) a century later it's not the same.

Slightlt off topic, but there is a series on in UK at the mo called Bedlam following people with mental health issues at the South Lonson Maudsley Hospital (Royal Bethlehem which was back in the day contracted to Bedlam hence where we get the term today)

Also back in the day you used to be able to pay 10 shillings to see the inmates in the asylum for 'entertainment'.

Now with this reality television show which so easily could have been called 'The Maudsley' I do wonder if very much has changed (bar that you don't have to pay 10 shillings). It's not that I am against education and documentaries could play a pivotal role in that process but certain aspects had made me feel really uncomfortable.

Did the name reclaim a word and make viewers think about the historical treatment of people with mental health issues or did it perpetrate a stereotype of mental illness?

Q

Back
Top Bottom