Whoops, wrong person

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CQ:)

Veteran
Reaction score
How many of us have sent a text message or email to someone & realised afterwards they sent it to the wrong person?
I know I have sent a text to the wrong person a couple of times & I usually realise just after I sent the message when I check the sent folder on my phone.

A couple of weeks ago I caught up with a friend for lunch, I usually only catch up with this friend maybe 2 - 3 times a year. She works & I get busy with my voluntary work plus I try not to catch up with her too much as she can be a negative person.

A few days after I had lunch with that friend I sent a text to my best friend to ask her something. In the text to my best friend I also mentioned that I had caught up with my other friend & said it was ok, but I guess I didn't have to worry about catching up again for another 6 months lol.
It wasn't until after I sent the text & checked my sent folder that I had actually sent the message to the friend I was referring to in the text :paperbag: lol.
As soon as I realised I sent a text back to the friend I'd had lunch with & apologised for the previous text as it was mean for my best friend. She never replied so I assumed she either ignored it or was p****d off with me.

Yesterday I was talking to someone who also knows the friend I had lunch with & they told me that the friend had text them to tell them that I sent her a text by mistake & she was p****d of because I said I wouldn't have to catch up with her for another 6 months.

The silly thing is the friend who I have p****ed of with the text has often bitched about her other friends to me. She is also probably the only person who has found my epilepsy amusing & admitted to laughing or joking about my seizures. She had once told me how when I was having a partial in front of her & another friend she went to walk away because she thought I was just away with the pixies & it wasn't like I needed an ambulance & only stayed because the other friend made her stay until I came out of the seizure.

I haven't lost any sleep over this but I guess in the future when I send text messages I better triple check the message 1st to make sure I send it to the right person :roflmao:.

Last edited:
This happens to me all the time. My kids get wrong messages often.
I too now make a not to check the name before hitting send.

My email program will fill in the address based on the first few letters, and it's not always the right one. A few emails meant for clients have gone to friends, and vice versa. Fortunately nothing too serious yet.

I was sexting chad one day. My boss texted as well and I replied the naughty text to him by accident. He had a huge laugh

What really annoys me is when you text something to a person and the text is meant for them but you later find out that they have shared it with other people! Perhaps because of my age or simply I'm old fashioned, I believe if you text some one it is intended for them and not the world! Now I only text someone if it's important and or if I'm not worried that it might just 'do the rounds'!
xx

I was sexting chad one day. My boss texted as well and I replied the naughty text to him by accident. He had a huge laugh

LOL Rae,
I once sent a text to my best friend telling her how I was annoyed with something my boss said or did. It wasn't until I got a message back from my boss saying wrong person that I realised I'd sent it to my boss lmao. Luckily my boss didn't get upset about the text. I was neurontin on the time so used to get upset or annoyed quite easily.

I have a thing on mobile phone where I can group my calls in different categories eg - work, family, friends so I have the numbers I use the most in the relevant groups. Think in the future I might start using the categories to find the person to text instead of going through all my contacts.

Last edited:
I'll call the wrong person alot of the time. Regulardless if I am using the speed dial or espically if I am actually typing it in on the phone.

My dad might answer the phone and I can't understand why he's at my friends, espically the ones that live a few states away!

I just checked and found out I talked on the phone for 34 hours in the past 20 days... I'm not sure how normal that is. But seeing that I talk that much and the amount of calls I place and recieve, the percentage of how often I call the wrong person is actually pretty low. So I think I'm doing pretty well.

However, the other day I got a junk text forwarded to me from one of my friends and I replied back to him "really?" as in why are you sending me this crap. It was one of those "text this to 10 people, blah blah" texts. I wasn't paying attention, and I replied to the entire group and spent the next 2 hours replying to a bunch of "who is this and why are you texting me?" I won't miss the little group message symbol ever again.

However, the other day I got a junk text forwarded to me from one of my friends and I replied back to him "really?" as in why are you sending me this crap. It was one of those "text this to 10 people, blah blah" texts. I wasn't paying attention, and I replied to the entire group and spent the next 2 hours replying to a bunch of "who is this and why are you texting me?" I won't miss the little group message symbol ever again.
I did a simular thing around this time 11 years ago (not long before Christmas) with an email. My sister had sent me an email which she had also forwarded to a heap of other people.
I was still getting used to emails at that stage & sent my sister a reply, asking how she was & would see her at Christmas. Apparently I had clicked onto reply all so the email went to all the friends she had sent the original email to.
When I saw my sister at Christmas time she told me that one of her friends who i'd accidentaly sent the message to asked who I was & why i was saying I'd see them at Christmas time lmao. My sister had to explain to them that I'd accidentaly pressed reply all instead of reply :pfft:

A couple of weeks ago I caught up with a friend for lunch, I usually only catch up with this friend maybe 2 - 3 times a year. She works & I get busy with my voluntary work plus I try not to catch up with her too much as she can be a negative person.

A few days after I had lunch with that friend I sent a text to my best friend to ask her something. In the text to my best friend I also mentioned that I had caught up with my other friend & said it was ok, but I guess I didn't have to worry about catching up again for another 6 months lol.
It wasn't until after I sent the text & checked my sent folder that I had actually sent the message to the friend I was referring to in the text :paperbag: lol.
As soon as I realised I sent a text back to the friend I'd had lunch with & apologised for the previous text as it was mean for my best friend. She never replied so I assumed she either ignored it or was p****d off with me.
It's been nearly 3 months since I accidentally sent a text to my 'friend' that I was referring to in my original post.

This 'friend' has not spoken to me since I accidentally text her so I am just assuming that we aren't friends any more. Today I was saying to someone who this 'friend' & I both know how this 'friend' hasn't spoken to me since I accidentally text her. This acquittance said that maybe I should get back in contact with the 'friend' & see if I can patch up our friendship.

I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings but I honestly am not worried if she does want to end our friendship because in the end she was more of an acquittance because we only caught up every 3 - 6 months. I think if she wants to keep our friendship then she can get in contact with me. I feel I already apologised when I sent her that text saying I was sorry about the text as it was meant for some one else but I guess she didn't see that as an apology.

I think this 'friend' who isn't talking to me has done worse things to me then my accidental text (eg - After I had some complex partial seizures in front of her telling me that she laughed when I had the seizures & admitting to telling other people about some of these seizures). She never apologised to me when she laughed at my seizures as I guess she didn't think she had done anything wrong. Yes it did p*** me of when she used to joke about my epilepsy but I would just let it go & I never stopped talking to her over it.

I'm not sure if it should to try to mend this friendship or just leave it & see if this friend ever gets over & gets back in contact with me.
Thanks for reading :)
:soap:

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it should to try to mend this friendship or just leave it & see if this friend ever gets over & gets back in contact with me.
:soap:

Thinking back on my relationships with people, the majority of the time if I wasn't sure what to do then that fact alone already should have told me which route to take.

Just a few weeks ago I texted a close friend something along the lines of my bf being an a--hole again, and the second I shut my phone I realized I sent it to him. As he is the person I text the most it's just such a habit, I selected his name without even looking down... and off it went. And an apology text went right after it.
Funny thing is however when we got home from work nothing was said, and still hasn't been. I can only guess it's because he agreed with me and just wanted it dropped. No problem!!

Funny thing happened today.

My Dad & I went to a caravan & camping expo Today & when we walked through some of the areas where they had displays I saw the 'friend' who I had pissed of with that accidental text lol.
She was there with some company asking people if they wanted to enter a competition to win some electrical steel appliances.

When I 1st saw her I didn't know if she would speak to me because she is the type of person who can hold a grudge for ages over something that upsets her even if it's only a small thing. I went over to say hello to her & we had a chat. We didn't talk to long & neither of us mentioned the accidental text Id sent her in December.

I don't know how often we will keep in contact now, I now just see her as an acquaintance & not someone I could call a real good friend but I guess at less we spoke to each other today lol.

Last edited:
LOL My parents do this all the time. I'll get texts from my dad that were meant for my mom, or texts from my mom that were meant for my brother. They have iPhones and they didn't realize that you should back out of a text convo before closing the text app because if you get a text when your phone is locked and you read the new text on your screen, if you open it to reply, you're going to end up replying to the last person you were talking to rather than the person who just sent you the text.

Back
Top Bottom