why are all of the depakote I can get is stinky?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janus

Veteran
Reaction score
The only depakote I can j get is a very strong smell -cotton candy. And very bright pink. Bubble gum pink. I asked for less chemical coatings. They said No can't do that. Our company can't. Next time it was a nice plane white that an Assistant found. But now the pharms say can't do it. S c

Maybe the "plain white" depakote was the extended release form (which comes in white at the 250mg size). The delayed release form of depakote is is pink and coated, but the extended release form is white and uncoated.

They are not interchangeable -- the extended release form metabolizes about 10% less over the course of a daily dose than the delayed release -- but if you did okay when you were on the "white" pills, perhaps you could ask your doc about making a switch, assuming the insurance costs aren't problematic.

There are also Depakote Spinkles which come in a capsule. That could be another option for you, if the dosage works out -- they only come in 125mg sizes.

Nakomova. Thank you so much! It's all good info.

My son can only take the Depakote Sprinkles. He has Sensory Processing Disorder and it makes it difficult for him to manage swallowing any type of pills.
I have to open the capsules and mix the sprinkles in chocolate pudding (each capsule in a separate teaspoon of pudding-4 capsules/2x/day). Luckily, the Sprinkles work for him and he hasn't had another seizure since the initial one a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom