Why are they ordering an MRI?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My son started having seizures 6 weeks ago and had his second one on Sunday. The EEG showed abnormalities and his ped ordered an MRI. Is is this normal? I'm freaking out and need someone to calm me down!!1

Welcome to CWE.

It is normal. I would be worried if they didn't order the MRI.

They order an MRI to rule out brain tumors, lesions, damage, bleeds or tangled viens etc.

Yes, as knothing says, an MRI is a standard test to run.

Thanks for the calming :) At this point, I'll be glad if he has epilepsy and not a brain tumor!! The MRI has me so freaked out! He has every single classic symptom of benign rolandic epilepsy so I wonder why he's even ordering the mri? But i talked to my friend's sister and she said that MRIs and low level meds are the standard of care for any epilepsy anymore so I feel somewhat better. Holy cow I've never been so nervous in my life!!!

Hi and welcome. My son is 16months old we first started noticing his seziures around 7months although paed thinks they may have been there while before and Dr's etc passing them off as bad reflux attack? Anyway I am counting down the days until he has his MRI on 13th July. He has had 4 clear EEG's although Nureo said the footage he has seen clearly shows he is having them. His 5th EEG showed a slowig on the back right of his brain and his eyes rolled a couple of times when they did the light test although Nureo said his brain waves didn't alter much. I know the worry and concern you have but think it may help with an answer. As I said it has been such a long wait for us waiting for my sons MRI. His Nureo wants to to wait until he's 18months old, not quite sure if we will end up waiting though as his seziures or what ever is happening may been the Nureo wants to bring it earlier, heres hoping.
Good luck with the MRI. Take Care.
Donnajane

Welcome to CWE.

It is normal. I would be worried if they didn't order the MRI.
Thanks. I told my husband that our pediatrician really can't win on this one. If he orders one, I flip out because I automatically assume he's suspecting a brain tumor. If he doesn't order one, I would think he's a quack and always wonder if there is something else causing it. He told us that it still could be benign roland even though the EEG spikes didn't show the typical pattern for it. He has every classic symptom of it except he's had 2 when he's awake early in the morning. It's been a week now and other than some slight tingling the day of the EEG, he's had nothing. But he was so tired that day too.

Thank you all so much for the help. It's somewhat reassuring that there are other people in the same crappy boat.

Back
Top Bottom