withdrawl seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

zuegenc

New
Reaction score
my son has been about 99% controlled on the diet so we started weaning his zonogran over 12 weeks and he has been fine..we ll we finished up his last dose a week ago and 5 days ago he started having daily little head bobs maybe 2-3 a day.. how long can withdrwal sZ last and can this be what it is? im so saddened to see Sz activity after 4 months with none and praying this is just transient? anyone ahve expereince with withdrawl Sz?

Hi Z! I'm sorry that you're dealing with this disappointment now - hang in there & you'll be in our prayers!! I can't speak to zonogran - but I've heard that some drugs, especially benzos - get built up in the body's system over time & threshold levels can be lowered during withdrawal periods but can trigger more seizures for a temporary period until it all gets flushed out of his system & the body chemistry readjusts. I'm really not very educated on this but I have heard some others make comments about a similar topic on other threads and maybe they can weigh in on this!!

Keep us posted!

Kristi

I think some of the meds stayed in my daughters system for a month. Don't have research to prove it, but it was what I was witnessing during her transitions. It has taken a while for her body to heal and let the system work on its own. It takes time, is what I am trying to say. That is my experience.

Thought I'd chime in and say I think you are on track with what you are doing and how you are handling this. I know that none of us here have this experience with Zonegran, (Rachel was taken off cold turkey) but I was thinking, there was a reason she was taken off like that. It's been a year and a half, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I know it can cause metabolic acidosis on it's own and combine that with Keto you have a potentially serious issue. Whether or not this might cause withdrawal seizures when weaned as slowly as you weaned, I have no idea, but I do know it really affected Rachel in a bad way.

Back
Top Bottom