working on a classic car

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seizuregirl

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've been working on restoring a classic car with my Father for the past week, and have been having fun!

It's a '79 corvette of a family friend, he's been diagnosed with cancer and he had asked my Father to finish it for him so if he passes away, his wife can sell it and get some good money from it to pay the hospital bills.

Mostly the fun is listening to my Father talk about how much he hates corvettes, from the mid '70s and later, and if it wasn't that the owner is such a good friend, he wouldn't touch it at all!

I had asked him if he was still thinking about buying a classic car of some type to work on when he's retired and he not sure he want's one anymore, he's "Fine with my SAAB."

That sounds great restoring a car. From what you say about your dad, he's a real spit fire. lol I think he would get a real kick out of restoring a 1969 Dodge Charger. Not just any old one. A complete recreation of " The General Lee " from " The Dukes of Hazard "! If that doesn't fit, he could always make it a rolling support for you and the rest of us.

262s61d.jpg

How does that sound? :)

Seizuregirl, Sometimes when I read your posts I can practically SEE you and your family, maybe especially your dad. Take good care of you.

Bigman131307- My Dad, 10,15 years ago, had talked about fixing something up from the 60's, but he never could find something that caught his eye. He likes chargers, but sees too many in town for car shows, or just driving around during the summer and doesn't want to add another one. He had also said if he decided on a charger, he would put a flag on it lol, but it would be the MN state flag!

He's always looked around to see something that he thought would be fun to fix up but couldn't make up his mind if he really wanted it that was for sale in our state.

I've pointed out many different cars that were nice while driving around and he's either never really cared for them, or he liked them but didn't want to have that much work to put into fixing. Now if I had my choice, it would be a 60 corvette! (I know he doesn't like them lol) But my maternal Grandfather had one in disrepair in the back of his autobody shop for years that all of us grandkids played in when we were younger. He finally fixed it up and it was beautiful when he was done! Painted white, silver coves, red leather interior and red carpets! I have a couple of pictures of it in my photo album and look at them from time to time and wish he hadn't sold it.

Last edited:
Bidwell, thank you! My Father is a great guy! I may have posted some things that may have set a different idea as to what my Father is like, but he is truly amazing with how much he loves and takes care of his family, and not just us kids and grandkids, but his with his sister and her kids, and his brother's and their kids too when they need help figuring out car problems, or fixing something in their houses.

And there is no way to describe it unless you were to meet him and just watch and listen to him when we're all together!

And I take care of myself, by taking care of my Family, my sister's, Father, niece's and nephew's to the best of my abilities!

Seizuregirl -- The loving part REALLY does come through in your posts. I thinkI get it about your dad -- and you!

Bigman131307- My Dad, 10,15 years ago, had talked about fixing something up from the 60's, but he never could find something that caught his eye. He likes chargers, but sees too many in town for car shows, or just driving around during the summer and doesn't want to add another one. He had also said if he decided on a charger, he would put a flag on it lol, but it would be the MN state flag!

He's always looked around to see something that he thought would be fun to fix up but couldn't make up his mind if he really wanted it that was for sale in our state.

Well he could always go with Daisy's car.

A yellow "1974 Plymouth Road Runner" with a black stripe. Complete with the "Meep, Meep" horn. :)
wskco3.jpg

I got kicked out of the garage earlier today, my Dad's painting, and he's claiming the paint is toxic, it could be, but I've been around it so many times in my life that I'm sure I've developed a resistance to it!

This morning my Father went to pick up the owner so he could take a look at it, and is impressed by how it's looking and is excited to show it to his family when it's done! And it should be done within 2, 3 days.

After painting, it's just clear coating next, he told won't let me in the garage when he does that lol, and then when it's dry, removing all of the tape every where to protect the door handles, windows, etc. that'll be a pain, since I had put all of the tape on and it was a pain then too! And putting all of the spare parts back on, the emblems, side mirrors, lights etc. and then he just has to hand the keys back!

I think your dad has good sense to keep you out of those fumes. Even when you are completely sick of dealing with all those little bits that have to be put back on the car, it is going to be sad to see it go!

I have been working on a 1986 Honda Accord. I have cut out rust on the body, and the frame, and replaced it. Someone broadsided me four plus years ago, so I put a used quarter panel on, a used driver's door, new steering rack gaskets (the rack leaked considerably). I took the engine apart somewhat to examine the pistons. The timing belt broke shortly after that accident. I regapped the valves, put in new plugs, and wires (one had infinite resistance), a new ignition coil, new front brakes, and radiator. I also put in a new relay for the turn signals. I found an open circuit in one of the transistors on the integrated circuit board. I took the distributor apart, and also found a leak in the EGR hose. I have done a lot of body work on it. I also had two leaks in the fuel system, so I wasn't getting pressure to the infectors. I replaced the main relay as well.

I don't know if I will ever finish it, though. It does not run, and is not worth anything. It has been somewhat rewarding to work on. It's been a learning experience. I could have used someone to bounce some ideas off of.

I see your from Minnesota, seizuregirl, so you should know how much salt they use in the Twin Cities in the winter.

I like the Corvette Stingray myself, from the early 60s. I don't mind the muscle cars from the 70s. I have had my Honda since 1988. I like The Fast and Furious movies for the cars--simpler and less things to break or repair.

Last edited:
I know they use a ton of salt, not just in the Twin Cities, but everywhere in MN!

I also don't mind the muscle cars of the 70's or really of any year, all but the custom painted trans-ams that is, my ex-boyfriend had a 74 trans-am that he loved, he loved it enough to spend a lot of money on custom paint, to look like fire coming off of all the wheels, and a half naked female comic book character on the hood. He enjoyed the attention it got (and he got!) in the summertime.

I still remember the first time my Grandfather saw his car, without the paint job, just with the original paint and he gave many suggestions as to what paint to use, how it should be sprayed on to not leave obvious streaks, and what clear coat brand to use to make it look great. But then my Grandfather saw it when it was finished, and the only positive thing he had to say about it was the detail of the flames. And then he walked away shaking his head and asking me why he chose to have a comic book character on the hood when just having the flames on the hood too would have made it great enough to put it in a car show!

Last edited:
There is an art to painting a car in and of itself. It is not something I know just yet. I have a neighbor who "restored" a 1979 Ford dumptruck, and he did an admirable job. He uses his dumptruck for his concrete business. It is nice to be exposed to these things.

My car was hit by a hailstorm years ago. Almost all the dings were on the roof, with only two on the hood. I think I have taken care of those. You can't really know until the final coat is on, and you are in the right light. About 75% of the car is primed. I still have some welding to do. The frame is stronger than the original. I can jack the car anywhere on its sides, not just where the factory slots were.

I personally prefer a subdued look.

Michael, It is true that I never thought of you as the type with flames on the hood of your car. But darn, I don't even SEE cars with flames on them and I really would like to! Sometimes I see flames on a skateboard! I grew up in New York City and nobody in their right mind had a car. Not only that, it was wartime and there was no gas anyway. We did not have a car until 1950 when we got a Plymouth that did not stick to the road. On wet days it would do loop dee loops. They were SLOW loop dee loops and we would put another sand bag in the back whenever it happened, but I don't remember anyone being too very upset by the situation. On the other hand we did not have the car for long and Plymouth stopped making that model very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom