Worried/Anxious Newbie

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

popsicle

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone

My 14 year old son has now had 7 tonic/clonic seizures, the first one happened 2 days after his 13th birthday in July 2011 and then
August 2011
November 2011
August 2012
2 in October 2011 (1 during sleep deprived EEG)
November 2012

He has had a "normal" EEG
Sleep deprived EEG - which we have not yet received the results of
MRI which I have been told shows no signs of "nasties"

They all happening at exactly the same time just as he is dropping off to sleep!! within 30 mintues of going to bed.

However, as anxious as I have been with regard to the seizures I failed to notice that he has had an "on" & "off" cough for months. I took him to the Dr last week who did a blood test and rang me with the results saying he has "mycoplasma", I have googled and googled and googled (as you can probably imagine) and my consultation with his pedeatrician is not until December 2012 so I was wondering if anyone is aware whether the two may be related??

I know it may seem like I am clutching at straws, but any advice/experience or similar stories would be gratefully appreciated.

I should have asked the Dr when he rang with the results but to be honest I was shocked and my mind went blank.

Thank you in advance

Hello Popsicle,
First off, I love your screen name, and I am glad you have found this forum,welcome, welcome, welcome.
I am not a doctor, but much like you, I have been to all peripheral edges of google!!

When I first read about your son, I thought off the bat that he is having nocturnal epilepsy and that it does not have a relationship to his having mycoplasma, however mycoplasma definitely explains the prolonged cough.

The relationship between seizures and mycoplasma, is not so much a symptom.
-It is more likely it is an outcome from maybe him taking cough medicines, or allergy pills for his cough and his body not being able to metabolize the medicine correctly in his cell walls in the nature that most medicines would synthesize in the body. Thus causing a build up of antihistamines in his blood system and resulting in a seizure.

I still kinda of feel that it is more likely nocturnal epilepsy though given it's timeline, thus your neurologist will need to be super picky with meds -given the mycoplasma.

I would definitely encourage you to look into the vitamin olive leaf extract, as that would really help him with building up a good immune defense barrier.

I wish you best Popsicle, your gonna get through this and come out with a ton of answers, given your ability to seek out info, don't become surprised if you start to know more about this than your son's doctor.

All the best,
reid

Hi popsicle, welcome to CWE!

There can definitely be a connection between mycoplasma infections and seizures. You can read about it here: http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/infectious_mycoplas.html It's definitely worth discussing with your son's neurologist -- if the mycoplasma is the primary cause, then treating it (usually with corticosteroids) should help.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi and welcome,

I don't want to scare you, any more than what I'm sure you are already, but I do want to tell you that my seizures started out like your sons.

When I was in the 1st stage of going to sleep, as I got older my seizures got to be more intense, come more often, last longer. This was my situations for many years. It could have been my hormones of which I don't know play such a role with seizures until I joined this forum.

I haven't had a seizure for about 8 months now.

Nakamova,
That was good read on the connections between epilepsy and mycoplasma infections,
I didn't know there was such a strong relationship. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom