worst place on earth to have a seizure?

worst possible place on earth to have a seizure?

• a hospital

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • a hospital

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • a hospital

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • a hospital

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm with GWD and marty: driving. You not only can die, but kill others as well.

Had a CP while on the interstate. Apparently I just sort of moved the wheel back and forth slowly for thirty seconds or so, taking up two lanes when there was no traffic in the middle of nowhere. I came to with that weird sense of dissociation.

My wife kept telling me to pull over, while I mumbled some unintelligible thing about knowing what I was doing. So, I kept trying to hit the warning lights, turning the radio on and off instead. Then I drove along the shoulder at 65 mph while missing the brake and repeatedly hitting the floor instead.

Finally my wife pulled the emergency brake and steered us off the road - saving our lives.

Haven't driven since, and probably never will. :-/

WOW. I am scared to drive. For me, the scariest place was in Seattle. Last march, 4 months ago, I was in Pioneer square (kinda sketchy part of town). I was on the sidewalk, alone. Thankfully a kind stranger called for help after 10 minutes and seizure not stopping. I awoke in the hospital next day. And they kept me for another night. Another time, alone, on the road in a desolate place in northern California. I never found out who but someone found me and took action. Woke in hospital. Wow. I love having this site where people understand this stuff.

Embarrassing (discounting getting wedged under the bus sit and seizures during 'happy adult time') I would have to say the one where I had a seizure in a department store trying on a skirt and pee'd myself and had to take the dripping garment back to the customer service desk and explain. They were tres cool about it.

Most dangerous was when I was younger and I was having a bath and had guy friends over and insisted locking the door, for privacy, the all ended up breaking the door so bang went privacy. But silver lining no drowning.

I had it while bathing, the first one when I was 7 years and the second one, when I was 19, in the living room. Only a few seconds change your life

I had a seizure during my tenth high school reunion in a restroom, only one or two people from school know I have epilepsy, luckily I lived near the bar they were at so i could go home and change jeans since it was one of the rare occasions I peed my self.

I had a seizure on the toilet once mid poo and my gf held me on it I didnt find out till later. she is about 120, I am am 150-170 and denser then her. I just dont lock the door on restrooms when i use them.

I don't know... The shower I guess. Job interviews are pretty annoying too.

Driving is the first one that comes to mind. Heavy situation there. I would say anytime alone away from home would be bad because sometimes people don't know how to react. I was on the bus when another lady with epilepsy had a seizure. 3 people started shouting to put things in her mouth. Really? Luckily those folks were out matched by the others who googled epilepsy first aid and in big bold letters is said, "Put nothing in their mouths." I stayed with her until paramedics showed up.

For the funny side, my vote for worst place - really worst time - would be the big dramatic reveal of a show. Like, "...and the murderer was..." seizure. Don't get to find out until you recover.

Driving is the first one that comes to mind. Heavy situation there. I would say anytime alone away from home would be bad because sometimes people don't know how to react. I was on the bus when another lady with epilepsy had a seizure. 3 people started shouting to put things in her mouth. Really? Luckily those folks were out matched by the others who googled epilepsy first aid and in big bold letters is said, "Put nothing in their mouths." I stayed with her until paramedics showed up.

For the funny side, my vote for worst place - really worst time - would be the big dramatic reveal of a show. Like, "...and the murderer was..." seizure. Don't get to find out until you recover.

Paramedics? Who called the paramedics?

The bus driver did. He said it was Trimet policy that any medical situation requires paramedics. =) I thought that too, but I think this time it was a good thing. Her seizure lasted longer than 3mins and her post-itcal phase was pretty severe. This seemed to be a pretty big generalized seizure. So the paramedics probably took her to the ER and made sure she had a ride home. Also 3 people on the bus dialed 911, but they were all told to hang up since the bus driver was on the line with his dispatch crew.

I'm adding this from an embarrassment only stand point - certainly nothing in comparison to death and serious injury possible in the above situations... And it's kind of a time and place but I'm adding it because man, was this embarrassing. During sex.

I've never had one during sex, but my ex from a few years ago did, and it was a tonic clonic, it was pretty ugly lol. He wasn't bothered by it and said if it happens again to just hold on and enjoy the ride. I probably would have been mortified if it had happened to me.

The shower is the worse place to be when I have a seizure. I have bars to hold onto in both bathrooms. My husband took out the shower doors and put in lining. I have gone through a few shower doors.

I wish the poll would have been for more places than the hospital. All of the doctors and nurses know me at the hospital and know what is going on with me.

I do not drive. I am scared that one day I will be hit by a car with someone who has epilepsy kills me. My husband does the driving.

I've already had seizures in some of the worst places like the shower broke my nose and also fell head first out of the shower.
I'VE had them in the pool my dh was with me kept me from drowning.
The kitchen I must have fallen back and I reached for something to pull me up which was a skillet full of chix grease that went all over me.My husband found me got me to the E/R and I got 2 scars on my upper arm.
A hospital also worse place to have a seizure now at my neuro's it's a code blue if someone has a seizure.

Last edited:
The kitchen I must have fallen back and I reached for something to pull me up which was a skillet full of chix grease that went all over me.

Belinda, that must have been horrible. Was the grease hot?

:hugs:

The most embarrassing place for me was at the Buddhist temple, meditating with all the others and fell over (from sitting) and went into a sustained seizure until i woke up in the hospital.
But the scariest place for me was on the street in Seattle. I was alone and in a new to me part of town. Evidently i was on the sidewalk when the ambulance got me. woke up two days later in the hospital.

Belinda, that must have been horrible. Was the grease hot?

:hugs:
Ruth,by the time my dh Dennis got home grease had cooled down and I don't remember the seizure but I have the scars on my upper right arm from the grease.I ended up with 2nd degree burns.

had one in the docs waiting room yesterday,
ended up being kept over night for "observations" with a full battery of test being run on me.

Well, from the poll results, it's clear that nobody wants to have a seizure in a hospital but that most people would prefer to have one in a hospital. Personally, I don't side with either of those. I would much prefer not to have a seizure in a hospital.

Last edited:
I would have to venture that having a grand mal in an unstable outhouse would not be fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom