would like to have another child?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
i have temporal lobe epilepsy with simple partial seizures, (no loss of awareness) i am currently taking 175 mg of lamictal (lamotrogine) twice daily. my question is to any other mothers who have been pregnant while on the lamotrogine or weather they came off it and what there advice might be..

also i am not seizure free although it has been a few months since my last attack.

claire.

Hi claire,

I don't have any specific advice for you, but I wanted to welcome you to CWE. We have quite a few members with epilepsy who are also parents, so hopefully they will chime in with advice.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi, Claire. I'm six weeks pregnant right now and I'm taking 450mg Lamotrigine twice daily. My neuro prescribed me lamotrigine two years ago when I told her I wanted to have a baby, she describes lamotrigine as fetal-friendly. This is my first pregnancy and I can't say a whole lot since I'm only six weeks but I don't have any prescription concerns because I have both my neuro and ob's okays. I'm not all seizure free either, my simple partials seem to come two or three times a month, as they have for four years now.

hi LMReggcellent,
seen my neurologist a couple days ago and she said that there are risks with lamotrogine but none as great as with other meds so decided to stay on the lamotrogine and come off my pill to start trying, thanks for your measage its made me feel lotts better about it :)
hope your pregnancy goes well for you x

Welcome! I have three children. I can't remember if I was on medication when I had the last two. I didn't have my first known seizure until after my first...so I know I wasn't on medication yet.

I have one son and plan to get pregnant again in the next month. I have complex partial seizures. Without meds they can become grand mal. When I was pregnant I never passed out and I was not on meds. I don't plan to take meds again either. I am on Topamax but a very low dose. I have had this for three years. I know for sure I will not have meds for at least the first trimester and hopefully can go from there. I wish you luck!

Back
Top Bottom