Would this be considered a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bertg

New
Reaction score
Yesterday I had an episode where I was seeing things as quick click photographs. It's hard to explain, but that is what it felt like. I did not lose conciseness or awareness and I did not have any muscle tension or jerking. I just had maybe 30 seconds were I could not really see anything but flashes of "pictures" of where I was. They were not hallucinations, but the actual area that I was in. I was in my golf cart headed out to play. I puled off to the side of the cart path and waited to see if I would actually seize. I knew when it started and knew when it ended and there were no lingering effects. I continued on to the course and played just fine.

Should I count this as a second seizure in 3 weeks? Today is 21 days since my first seizure.

Also, I see the Neurologist in a couple of weeks. Is there a preferred medication that I should ask for? I have a friend who had 1 seizure many years ago and he said that he took Keppla?? I think that is the name.

... Should I count this as a second seizure in 3 weeks? ...

It sounds like a simple partial seizure. I would mention it to your neurologist.

Also, I see the Neurologist in a couple of weeks. Is there a preferred medication that I should ask for? ...

Your neuro will prescribe the AED that s/he thinks is best for your situation. Different AEDs are recommended for different types of seizures. AFAIK, there isn't any AED that is generally effective for all types of seizures.

What medicines are you on? It may just be a side-effect of a medication or a combination of medications.

Hi Bertg,

It sounds like you had a simple partial seizure also known as a aura seizure and what happens is the optical lobe in the
back of the head where the eyesight is gets to much electrical activity and this in turn will cause a person to sometimes see
things that aren't there. I have the same thing going on with me.
I tried Keppra but it increased my seizures and gave me a hot temper so I went off the drug in 1 month. To find the best
seizure med ask your Dr. to do a DNA test on you. They will draw some blood and get some salvia from the inside of your
mouth, all of this is sent to the lab where they will be able to see the amount of enzymes in your liver and your body chemistry
and then the can match that up to the best seizure med for you with the least side effects. I wish you the best of luck
and May God Bless You!

Sue

What medicines are you on? It may just be a side-effect of a medication or a combination of medications.
I just started Keppra day before yesterday. I will be scheduling an ECG soon, so perhaps we will determine a cause.

That is the best course of action. By the way, did you mean to say EEG by any chance instead of ECG?

Back
Top Bottom