xanax for seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

wf

New
Reaction score
:brain: I have a question. & months ago a doctor told me that my siezures were due to stress and prescribed me Xanax. It was ok until last Wednesday when I had a small seizure.
It was very odd, I was studying for a test on the computer then everything became blurry, I got very scared because I was alone at home. I started clicking the "a" on keyboard and on the screen I was seeing "c's", then I couldn't read anything.
The left side of my brain started to hurt a lot, it was only then I realized I was having an episode.
Is xanax prescribed to you to control seizures? I called the doctor, I got the nurse she said that since I'm taking xanax my case is not urgent!!!!
I explained to her I have had Tonic Clonic in the past and I feel they are about to come back...I just feel it........am I wrong?
I was on depakote..ugly medicine...doctor took me off from it and gave me xanax.
Has xanax worked for anyone?

First off,

your doc needs to have a discussion with his nurse.

Second, NO, I have not been on Xanax as a AED. It is typically used as an anti-anxiety drug.......

While I haven't heard of it, I have a hunch Xanax might work temporarily for seizures as it's in the same class of medicine as Ativan and clonezapam although, like those meds, it loses its effectiveness over time and needs to be increased. It work on GABA levels in the brain as do some anti-epileptic drugs. It's also easy to become dependent on benzodiazepine drugs. That's why those drugs are generally used for acute situations rather than long term. I agree with Meetz -- your Dr. needs to be informed as to what his nurse said and you need to get in to see your Dr. for another treatment soon.

While I haven't heard of it, I have a hunch Xanax might work temporarily for seizures as it's in the same class of medicine as Ativan and clonezapam although, like those meds, it loses its effectiveness over time and needs to be increased. It work on GABA levels in the brain as do some anti-epileptic drugs. It's also easy to become dependent on benzodiazepine drugs. That's why those drugs are generally used for acute situations rather than long term. I agree with Meetz -- your Dr. needs to be informed as to what his nurse said and you need to get in to see your Dr. for another treatment soon.

:agree:

I keep a bottle of Ativan (lorazapam) for my "emergency" status seizures. One pill used to be effective, now it is two, and if I'm really "stuck" in a series of complex-partials my doctor told me to take three pills and "knock myself out" (go to bed). Luckily, I only use this drug about twice a month, but even so, I have built up a tolerance to it.

If you have tonic-clonic seizures, you may need a new neurologist. I have never heard of Xanax being used as a first-line medication for the treatment of t/c seizures. Not only that, but as stated above, it is easy to get dependent on these types of drugs.

At the very least, make an appointment soon to talk to your doctor about your recent episodes. Also tell him about the rude behavior of his office assistant!

Take care. Sorry you've been feeling "seizurey" and are having a difficult time with your doctor's office.
-Julie

Sorry that your having such a hard time at present.
Xanax, mostly sold nowdays under the generic name alprazolam is as K.E. and other above stated. Its main use being for anxiety,stress, and or panic disorders.(but as with many other meds, it can be used for other reasons). I too have never heard of it used as a first line of treatment for seizures but have heard of its use for the reduction of stress thought to be the cause of seizures in some, but generally for a short term situation such as loss of loved one, divorce,etc. I too would highly recommend a return trip to your Neuro.
Take care

thank you for your comments.

:agree:Sorry, I forgot to mention that I haven’t had a full T/C for about 15 years because I was first on Phenobarbital 20 years and later depakote for about 6 years.
And Yes, you are right! he told me that my seizures were probably caused by stress. I don’t get it! And it’s obviously NOT working! Its making me angry and frustrated more than ever. I told him that I haven’t had a Tonic Clonic for a long time but I have had small ones, and this last one, in scale from 1- 10 was a 6 in pain and it doesn’t mean I want to have another T/C at 36 yrs old. I also told him that I’ve been having seizures since age 1. The last time a doctor took my meds away I was 15 and had the biggest Tonic Clonic seizure I can remember. I was able to see my dad, my mom and brother crying and my arms twitching for a few minutes and I do not want my kids to see it.
I’m sorry..I’m just very angry. I feel he treats me like someone who does not know I have seizures and I might me crazy! He is supposed to be very well respected in our city. I have kids to take care of and instead they are taking care of me…I’m just angry..sorry again!

I would inquire also to the Doctor for an EEG if
you have not had one in a long time. I find it
rather unusual that Xanax was prescribed, but
it belongs in the same family of Benzos - which
is known as Benzodiazepines.

Such are those belonging in there are: Klonopin,
Ativan, Diastat, Frisium, Valium (aka Diazepam
to many), Lorazepam (via IV in Hospital), Xanax

(Both are American & International Listings used
for Epilepsy above)

For extreme severe Epileptic Status, there is a
trio of Benzos (only in Hospital Settings only):
Nitrazepam
Temazepam
Nimetazepam
And the usage of these trio are excessively rare
because they are so powerful and used in extreme
emergencies only.

Hope these information above is of assistance.

===================

If your Neurologist has NOT performed an EEG in
a long time and declines to perform a new updated
one ~ I would strongly advise you to consult with
your Primary Care Physician and look for another
Neurologist or Epileptologist for a 2nd opinion or
possibility may very well become your "new"
Neurologist / Epileptologist.

thank you

I think is time to change doctor. I called my neurologist's office and finally his nurse assistance "CNP" will see me, not the neurologist. Can she prescribe medication? She said that IF she needs she will talk to the doctor. This is the second time that I am without proper medication and I am very scared of having TC's coming back with a vengeance.
I feel like I don’t deserve to see the neurologist. My mother wants to bring 20 yrs or so of medical records I have from my native Mexico, so they can the problem is real not just a joke.
Am I wrong at being upset?

ahh its good to know all this. The last thing I need is a medicine that will make me addicted to it.
The last EGG was almost a year ago, I will ask to have another one again.
Thank you for all your support.
Thank you for listening to my concerns.
Wendy

I think is time to change doctor. I called my neurologist's office and finally his nurse assistance "CNP" will see me, not the neurologist. Can she prescribe medication? She said that IF she needs she will talk to the doctor. This is the second time that I am without proper medication and I am very scared of having TC's coming back with a vengeance.
I feel like I don’t deserve to see the neurologist. My mother wants to bring 20 yrs or so of medical records I have from my native Mexico, so they can the problem is real not just a joke.
Am I wrong at being upset?
If a neurologist refuses to see you when you need his/her help and refuses to take your problems seriously then s/he really doesn't deserve to see you. Don't let them make you feel like you don't deserve to see them.

Keppra XR!

Thank you for all your help.
well....I went to see nurse and the while she was the one doing the questions she went to talk to him and he instructed her to give me KEPPRA XR. So I will begin my treatment today as well as xanax both at night. So.. it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. The doctor was really busy with a child patient, so I didn’t complaint. He came and said hello and told me he was going to try this medicine on me. I explained my frustration to the nurse, she was very pacient with me and answered all my questions, took her time with me (about 20 minutes!:rock:)and gave me an appointment WITH the neurologist next month.
So, is anyone taking keppra xr?

Last edited:
Hi Wendy,
Glad you got in with someone to get some answers!! I have been taking keppra xr for about 6 weeks. I really noticed a drunk type feeling for the first day after starting and fell asleep pretty much anytime i was still for very long the first week or so (so stay busy LOL) and then to a lesser extent with any increase in doseage but it only last for a very short time for me and not a big problem and with the increase it is helping to control the seizures.
good luck let me know how it works for you
elizabeth

thanks elizabeth

yes, I felt the sleepiness this morning but after a while it wore off and I feel pretty good. I was laking a good night of sleep and also I guess I feel now my doctor and his nurses are treating me more as patient than a crazy woman. And so far.. no side effects which is good! thank you lord and all of you for your support!
kisses to all (we deserve them, don't we?)
Wendy

New

We have just begun....4 year old with 2 gelastic-like seizures and may have other types of undocumented seizures. Having difficulty getting a neuro until we have an EEG and a sleep EEG which means getting on a long waiting list, and next, then another list to be allowed to see the neuro IF he thinks she needs to be seen. I am frustrated with all the people we have contacted, each one with a different procedure or plan to follow. No one has any idea if she should be on any meds now because you have to see the neuro! What a mess, trying to get help. Has anyone had difficulty getting into this system? Or am I a crybaby?
The thing that really bothers me today is that I asked a neuro office if we could go around the insurance and pay for one visit to see if she should be on meds....and the office said if I do that, in the future, if we need the insurance to help with future visits, they will not be covered because the insurance company checks social security numbers to see if you have seen anybody else outside their network and they will disallow future care! I was completely taken by surprise by that one. All I want is to get her seen by a neuro..............I am so happy to find this website, and read your stories, it gives me hope that maybe she will be OK despite the process.

Xanax caused my simple partial seizures, generalized seizures, and three full tonic clonic all lasting over four minutes. Finding a doctor you trust is the hardest part. It is All trial and error from here...good luck, you are not alone.

Back
Top Bottom