Xcopri

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I was talking about Xcopri with some people with epilepsy, not on CWE, who had started the med recently. I know it was brought up in another thread but I want to start one about it. I wanted to find a little more about it if I can because I see my neuro next week and I might bring it up to him. I'm on three meds right now and the people said that they were able to get off of their meds or have them reduced.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like it takes a while to get on the full dose. It's pretty expensive too, and there is no generic.

Please let me know more about it if you can.

Yes, Xcopri does take a while to get used to. It's the first AED I've ever been given 28-day titration packs for to start on. The first began at 12.5MG for 14 days, then was 25MG for 14 days. The second contained 50MG then 100MG, each for 14 days, & the one I started this past Sunday has 150MG for 14 days, then 200MG for 24 days. Xcopri is also the first AED that I've taken which is only eaten at night due to its possible side effects. Hopefully, 200MG will be my final dose.
It's being used to replace my Topiramate dose since I was still averaging 1-3 complex partials/month despite taking 400MG/day of it along with 400MG/day of Zonisamide (which I will still take).

Have you stopped taking Topiramate or will that be done after you are on the full dose of Xcopri?

I don't know how many meds you're on total right now but did your neuro decide which med/meds you should stop taking or did you? I'm on three meds and I'd love to get off of at least Keppra.

Thanks Sabbo I hope things go good.

The neurologist I've been seeing for a few years asked me to meet with the one from Northwestern since my seizures won't stop. I've switched and/or added AEDs countless times. I seem to get better for a few months after starting a new AED/higher dose, but I usually begin having breakthrough seizures--especially complex partials within a year. It's like my brain becomes "immune" to the new drug/dose. I have taken almost EVERY AED out there for simple & complex partials. I'm allergic to many & adding those that couldn't control my simple partials (when those were the only seizures I had) would do no good. That neurologist suggested adding Xcopri & dropping Topiramate due to how long I've taken it (ineffectiveness), and the high dose that I take. (I had been switched to Zonisamide at the same dose a few years ago as a substitute for Vimpat due to cost.)

I ended Topiramate with the last titration pack (this past Saturday). Until then, I was taking 3 AEDs. Now I am taking 2 drugs--Zonisamide (400MG/day) & Xcopri--currently 150MG/day. I started my final titration pack on Sunday. It contains 14 150MG tablets & 14 200MG tablets. After that, I will (hopefully) continue taking 200MG/day.

Back
Top Bottom