Yes!!!! (Change in employment law, UK)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loopy Lou

Veteran
Reaction score
Watching the news this morning, i found out that the government have now changed the rules on Equality laws, meaning that employers can no longer request medical/disability information in application forms :woot:

I'm getting so sick of being turned down and having that nasty suspicion that it's because i've listed epilepsy on the form. Previously, if you left out information which was found out later, then it's grounds for dismissal.

It also covers items such as race, religion etc. I'm hoping that this sort of information is out of application forms completely. Perhaps we'll get fairness after all :D

The new law restricts the circumstances in which employers can ask job applicants questions about disability or health prior to offering them a position, making it more difficult for disabled people to be unfairly screened out.

Source - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11446650

One little step forward. Yay!

The news made me a happy Lou this morning :) at least now if i don't get a job i'll know its because they found someone else who is better.

Now.... Just need to see if people can stop putting "own car and full driving license essential" on job adverts when the job doesn't even need a driver!

This is GREAT!!!!!!

I find it baffling why they asked in the first place when it has nothing to do with the job.

well, with regards to the driving thing, i usually ring up to see if it really is essential, and 9 times out of 10 the answer is "no, thats just a standard thing we put on the vacancy ads". These people then invite me to apply, only to never contact me again. It's a good thing i already have a part time job or i'd have had no chance. Looking forward to applying for jobs i might actually get :). Or at least an interview would be nice :)

Back
Top Bottom