You know you have epilepsy if...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

When you haven't driven in months and while sitting at your vanity turn to your husband and say "Take the wheel I really shouldn't be driving right now."

Then while having a conversation with your son about the Robert Downey Jr. movie Chaplin say (In a very British accent and I left England when I was 3) "Bring the car around Charlie"

I guess I was obsessed with driving when first diagnosed.

Last edited:
Been there!

You wake up in bathroom at school (covered in urine) and wonder why you couldn't have made it a couple more feet

Hey Danjor,

Been there, done that....at school, at Target, at Home. I'm drawn to bathrooms during my seizures; if I've entered a public place, you can just about guarantee that at some point I've "marked" it by missing the toilet.

I'm a much better aim at darts. :D

-Julie

Last edited:
When someone accuses you of not listening to them and asks you what they were talking about. Oh, guess I wasn't listening. I really thought I was...

I used to get that at school all the time :pfft: It was horrible when the teacher said "repeat back exactly what i just said to you".​

My husband and I did that to our children to make sure they were listening to us... Didn't work so well when we found out she had epilepsy.

You know your epileptic when you go to the hospital and Everyone knows you by your first name and says "Not Again":roflmao:

You arrange the furniture in your home to cover up head-size holes in the drywall near the floor so you don't have to explain to everyone why they're there.

You had to have "the talk" with every new college roommate. (Just not the one their parents should have given them.)

When your aftersun lotion and your beer (non-alcohol of course) are sitting on the computer table in front of you, and you drink out of the wrong bottle.

The beer tastes much better...

I just did this about 2 minutes ago. I was applying the lotion and set it on the table in front of me. Kind of an oily sort of taste.

ya know ya have epilepsy when you write a grocery list and forget to bring it with you to the store

you know you have epilepsy if:

the cutest guy you have ever kissed is the EMT giving you CPR.:lol::lol::lol:

HMMMM...CPR for seizures...I gotta' let my First Responder instructors know of this new technique! :)

Me too -since 2000. i just figure I'd mention that to them to be funny!

Those EMTs are pretty studly guys!

i.e. I was one for 20 years (1981-2001)

Ohhhhhh.....so true!

• You've ever spent 30 minutes trying to change the channel on the remote after a seizure and don't know why it won't work, only to realize you've been trying to change the TV with your cell phone
  • You stare at your loved one's faces as they are grilling you asking who they are and you confidently blurt out, "I know it begins with an 'S' and you're my sister" to your daughter
  • You practice saying your name over and over in your head so that you're ready when someone asks you after a seizure
  • You have lots of nicknames for people and places so that others can't tell when you've actually forgotten something
  • You go into your Neuro's office and give him a run down like you're pre-med and he looks at you and says, "Well, obviously you know what's best!"
  • Your family can't tell if it's just THAT cold outside or "there you go again"
  • You start to ask your friends if just once maybe one of them could have the emergency so you can try and meet a cute fireman since it's a little hard from your back and out cold
  • You've come to in the hospital on your 18th birthday listening to 2 doctors argue about who's going to remove the lightbulb from the man next door.....and you pray for another seizure!

You go to get a £1 worth of pick n mix, and when you next look, the bag is overflowing with stuff you don't even like. Then people give you funny looks when you have to put them all back.

Obviously my subconscious didn't want to agree with my diet!

Ya know ya have epilepsy when ya pack a sunglass nd a rag to go to 4th of july cook out ya know ya have epilepsy if ya ditch box spring so ya have a safer fall

You know you have epilepsy when nearly everyone at university recognizes you from one of the many attacks you've had in class/the hall-way/etc. "The Girl with the Epilepsy"

whoot.

You know you have epilepsy when nearly everyone at university recognizes you from one of the many attacks you've had in class/the hall-way/etc. "The Girl with the Epilepsy"

whoot.

I can relate to that. I had my first epileptic fit in a psychology class, my professor always read people's names off for an attendence roster, and you had to acknowledge that you were there. After my seizure, she never had to ask, she knew who I was. XD

it's bothersome. I've had about 4 attacks in big classes, and many more in small tutorial groups or during exams.

:(

. . . you cringe when you hear the neighbors talking about the guy who had a seizure while driving and crashed into their house -- less because you feel bad for the neighbors and much more because you're scared of what they might think if they found out that it could have been you behind the wheel.

You have epilepsy when everybody at the pharmacy knows you without asking your name!

Back
Top Bottom