Ahh My hair is falling out!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Epilim made my hair fall out, clumps of it every time I brushed my hair and washing it was even worse. Quite a shock. My hairdresser commented on it, it was coming out in her hands while she was cutting it. I also put on stacks of weight really quickly.

I was sure my doc thought I was being vain when I brought it up with him, he switched me to the generic Lamictal (Lamogine) but it didn't work as well for me, the chemist said it was made by the same company as the original but I don't know if that makes any differance. I recently went back on the Epilim and am taking a supliment which seems to be helping, I take the Blackmores nail, skin and hair if that's any help to anyone, seems to have stopped the hair loss.

My sons hair fell out on it at first too, it's stopped now and his has grown back thick as ever, it's curly now though... his weight has plateued too, I haven't been on it as long as him, maybe about 6mths to his 18 so I too early to tell if mine will grow back too.

I get my hair done regularly and whilst I have fine hair, I seem to have lots of it. However, I have noticed that my hair has been getting thinner lately (Keppra was increased in December and it was from this point) and now even my hairdresser has noticed it :S

Hair seems to be disappearing from the sides of my forehead (leaving a fluffy baby down) and more worryingly... my eyebrows seem to be affected (one grows back hair, the other hasn't). I do have a lot of stress at the moment which isn't probably helping (either the epilepsy or the hair loss). It's getting me quite down though. I could cope with no one noticing... but now that a few people have, I am starting to get a little paranoid - lol.

I was losing a LOT of hair but I had it to spare so I didn't really worry about it, lol. I never thought about my meds causing it (lamictal, trileptal). Now they've added topamax to the mix and my hair has actually stopped coming out. On the other hand, my sister-in-law was on topamax for migraines and her hair was coming out in clumps so she refused to take it any longer. It is odd how people are affected differently.

hair loss

I am soooo grateful learning I'm not the only one who is losing an unusually amount of hair. Like several of you, I must take Lamictol. Over about 8 years, the dosage has increased. Hair loss has become more visable now that I take 1000 mg. p/d. I'm talking to my neurologist (again) and try B vitamin supplements.

Do any of your friends and family downplay the problem: "No you're not! Everyone looses their hair ..." they tell me. I know they're trying to reassure me, but downplaying it makes me sound like it's my imagination. Okay, losing hair probably can take the stand for ye another AED side effect.

Of course my mother has always downplayed it and the sister in law I mentioned whined that she didn't knoooowwww what I was complaining about. It annoyed the hell out of hubby though, he said I shed worse than all of the animals combined and that my shedding was year roundm LOL.

Like E doesn't suck enough as it is. Now reading this thread! I've only been on meds a couple of months. No hair loss yet.

How long before hair loss sets in? Does Rogaine help? How about those new laser/light treatments? If/when I start losing mine is there any hope, or should I start shopping around for one of those wig stores?

Hmmmmm.... let's see...... (searching around in my mind for the positive spin)

I guess I always wanted to try out being a gutsy redhead for a switch. Getting a wig would let me do that! :woot:

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens, lol. Like everything with these drugs, you may or may not get the side-effects that others have. I got hair loss with a looowww dose of lamictal (25mg) yet, within a week or so of starting Topamax, which is know for hair loss too, my hair stopped falling out. My dosage of lamictal has been increase to 100mg but my hair hasn't started falling out again :)

I had hair loss with dilantin....and not only the hair loss but my teeth were ready to fall out as well. Of course I went off it and my teeth tightened back up and my hair returned to normal...the depressing part about it all was that the drug didn't control my seizures same as with all the drugs.

The hair loss side effect may or may not happen, or it might happen at first, but then stop happening (which was my experience), so as with a lot about epilepsy, a lot of unknowns.

Tempus Fugit and others, I am new here and have been on Keppra and Topamax for 4 years. I started my Epilepsy medications with about 6 different combinations. These two combinations were the best kepping it in control. Slowly I have been experiencing hair loss. At first it was tolerable and I was afraid to change my medications. Besides the Epilepsy I suffer with horrenndous Migraines. Finally the hair loss is beginning to show to the point where everyone is noticing it. My Neruologist has finally acknowledged the Keppra may be part of the problem. He is slowly changing the Keppra to Neurontin and keeping me on the Topamax hoping the Epilepsy will not drive me on to another anti-convulsant medication because they all cause hair loss so I have been told, as does the Topamax. I suffer with Petite and Grand Mals, so I am very anxious, but being bald is intimidating so I will do anything to prevent it. My advice is as follows, be prepared that most of your medications will cause hair loss and other side effects, your tolerance and the severity of your epilepsy must determine the importance of your decisions. I am very vain and have made the decision to try the change. Iif I begin having seizures be assured I will start the Keppra again. As for the hair loss and the other side effects, it will be devasting, but better then the type of seizures I experience.
I wish good luck to everyone there.

You need to take selenium for nails and hair it will help alot . As we will acupuntucture.

Riva
Iwas taking Hydrolyzed Collagen that I purchase from Puritan Pride to try to ward off skin cancers. The jury is stillout on its effectiveness in that area , but it did give me the strongest and healthiest finger and toenails that I could ever believe possible.

Julius

Jennifer had alot of hair loss with Keppra. We put her on a pre natal vitamin and that helped alot!

I wish you all well,
joan*

Back
Top Bottom