Coping With Epilepsy Dr. Karen Shue - Brain and Health
10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Toronto, Ontario
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Joined the Party

Can OVR turn you down?

My neurologist showed me my MRI results. Basically, what happened (and what causes my seizures, peripheral vision deficit and a few mental limitations) is that on my right occipital lobe - my brain synapses never progressed after I was born (read: There is a curve and what looks like a giant hole in my brain)

She told me that I will never be able to do things quickly and correctly, at the same time. That my multitasking efficiency just isn't there for me and never will be unless I take multiple classes to train my brain that way. But, since I'm older, it may not even work.

Since my current work (retail) refuses to let me advance because of my situation, my neurologist suggested that I look into OVR to find a company that will help me grow and advance.

I graduated from college (it took me 6 years, but I did it), I drive (I got my license only 2 years ago), and I currently work retail. Can all of these things hinder my acceptance in to OVR? I had a friend who had a lobectomy for epilepsy and she said that because she had a college degree, they told her that they couldn't help her.

Anyone have experience this?

Last edited by PSUgirl2009; 12-05-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Typed wrong word
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,341 Times in 5,421 Posts
This link may be helpful: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=608692&mode=2

It discusses eligibility issues for OVR, including the "Order of Selection" -- how they rank an individual's level of disability when prioritizing who gets help. So it's possible that if you aren't considered "needy" enough that you might not qualify for OVR assistance. The interviewer/counselor makes the call:

Quote :
The counselor must determine that the individual's disability substantially interferes with his or her ability to prepare for, obtain or maintain a job. There must be a demonstrated need for OVR services. The individual has to be able to benefit from services to achieve a competitive employment outcome.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Joined the Party

What if it holds you back from advancing in a current job?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Joined the Party

Literally, all I want is to be out of retail and to obtain a job that understands what I'm going through. My current job doesn't seem to care and won't push me forward because of it.