Can OVR turn you down?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My neurologist showed me my MRI results. Basically, what happened (and what causes my seizures, peripheral vision deficit and a few mental limitations) is that on my right occipital lobe - my brain synapses never progressed after I was born (read: There is a curve and what looks like a giant hole in my brain)

She told me that I will never be able to do things quickly and correctly, at the same time. That my multitasking efficiency just isn't there for me and never will be unless I take multiple classes to train my brain that way. But, since I'm older, it may not even work.

Since my current work (retail) refuses to let me advance because of my situation, my neurologist suggested that I look into OVR to find a company that will help me grow and advance.

I graduated from college (it took me 6 years, but I did it), I drive (I got my license only 2 years ago), and I currently work retail. Can all of these things hinder my acceptance in to OVR? I had a friend who had a lobectomy for epilepsy and she said that because she had a college degree, they told her that they couldn't help her.

Anyone have experience this?

Last edited:
This link may be helpful: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=608692&mode=2

It discusses eligibility issues for OVR, including the "Order of Selection" -- how they rank an individual's level of disability when prioritizing who gets help. So it's possible that if you aren't considered "needy" enough that you might not qualify for OVR assistance. The interviewer/counselor makes the call:

The counselor must determine that the individual's disability substantially interferes with his or her ability to prepare for, obtain or maintain a job. There must be a demonstrated need for OVR services. The individual has to be able to benefit from services to achieve a competitive employment outcome.

Literally, all I want is to be out of retail and to obtain a job that understands what I'm going through. My current job doesn't seem to care and won't push me forward because of it.

Back
Top Bottom