Epilepsy and hair loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Crazychick,

I've been on Keppra now for 10 years and have never experienced the hair loss as a side effect, but then that is just me. A well known side effect of Keppra is "rage" and depression, but depression can go along with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy for many of us, so maybe your dr. will address it when he talks with you again. Or it could be the med.

Here is another website explaining TLE:
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/newsletter/apr11_onmymind

thank you robin i just dont know what to do. i think my body is in shock, i am a natural worrier anyways which ano causes your hair hair to fall out, but i used to worry really bad and never lost any hair so i def know its the keppra, i just dont know what to do or try? i was taking 1-2 tablets of biotin a day wi my meds as well as vitamin b as well. my neuroligists dont really seem to be that bothered or my doctor to be honest. i feel like just giving up on it all if am being totally honest.

hi cint, aw i feel very down with keppra i wouldnt say im angry but my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes are def falling out because of the meds. i want to stop taking the meds at least il have my hair n eyebrows and eyelashes. i have weird dreams with the keppra 2. what is temperol lobe epilepsy? no one sat down with me and explained anything with me, i had to work everything out myself. it is so depressing watchin strands of my hair fall out everytym i touch it brush it or wash it. my doctor is useless it was over a week ago he said he was going to write 2 my neurologist and i havent heard anything back yet, it took me 3 attempts to make my doctor realise that keppra is the wrong meds for me. its ridiculous.

If it is at all stress-related, it can happen long after the inital stress has passed. But I think your hair loss seems so extreme, I feel like your doc should definitely take it more seriously and rule out other causes as well (like hormonal or thyroid issues).

my thyroid has been checked it was normal apparantly, the doc did say summit about hormone replacement therapy, but hes neva mentioned it since, but my hair loss is so bad, if it was just stress my eyebrows and eyelshes wudnt be affected by stress would they?

Stress can affect eyelashes and eyebrows too. But I would go back to what your doc said about HRT. Had he done any hormone-related tests to see if that was an issue for you?

no he hadnt done any hormone related tests he just mentioned because my seizures were happening round bout the same time each month if you get where im going with this? lol hey u learn something new everyday i didnt know stress could affect eyelashes and eyebrows ?

Hair loss can also be contributed to blood sugar levels, and nutritional deficiencies. I do think my daughters hair loss was improved about the same time we got control over her blood sugar levels. Hormone levels are also caught off balance by blood sugar too. You might do a Google search on this subject and find ways to be proactive while you wait to see your doctor.

My hair fell out like crazy each time I was pregnant so I do know that hormones can do it. I also gave some info that blood sugar levels can cause this. Have you considered looking at your nutritional needs?

thats is very funny you should mention that because i was just saying this to my dad bout blood sugar levels, because if i dont eat at regular times i feel like am going to collapse,i have also been told to mention hormone in balance to the doctor, this site has been a god send honestly, im so appreciative of your advice and every1 elses

im going to mention all this to my neuroligist before i do or take anything because i dont want to make anything worse but thanx for all your advice n help i really appreciate it, its been such a god send this site. i was told by my neurologist about hormone replacement therapy so im gonna mention all this to him again thanx robin youve been great. nutritional needs? what do i need to do for them?

When I talk about nutritional needs, it is the cleanest choice in food, to feed the energy needs of your body.
Most doctors will agree that eliminating white refined products, sugar, processed foods, and eating a plant based diet is the best to meet our bodies needs.

You are very welcome.
Blood sugar can even be a CAUSE of seizures.

yes i was thinking that 2 but all my bloods were tested and they all came back ok according to the doctor

when i see my neuroligist av got a list am going to go through him with, at the end of the day thats what hes there for aint it? so....

Yes... but he won't go over it with you, because he has received very little training in that area. A conventional doctor only receives approximately about 15 hrs of nutritional training. You will have to look elsewhere if you truly want to educate yourself on the subject.

My daughters were tested each time she went in for her lab work. A fasting blood test. It came back normal.

It wasn't until an ER doctor demanded a glucose tolerance test (I had been denied this lab work for Rebecca by her pediatrician) that we discovered how severe her symptoms were. There is something called reactive hypoglycemia, which comes upon your system following digesting a certain food (different for each individual). There are also disorders connected with insulin or sluggish liver, etc that don't necessarily show up on the mainstream lab work.

A conventional doctor only receives approximately about 15 hrs of nutritional training.

I would be curious where you got that number. I know the course I took which was not as in depth as what doctors go through we spent 20 hours just learning how ATP is converted into ADP to produce energy from food alone. That doesn't include everything else. Even just learning the kreb cycle can take longer than 15 hours.

I'd be very suspicious of whoever told you that.

Hair loss can also be contributed to blood sugar levels, and nutritional deficiencies. I do think my daughters hair loss was improved about the same time we got control over her blood sugar levels. Hormone levels are also caught off balance by blood sugar too. You might do a Google search on this subject and find ways to be proactive while you wait to see your doctor.

I have diabetes, therefore I have issues with low blood sugar levels, too, as well as highs sometimes. I've never had hair loss. On the other hand, my daughter has Hashimoto's disease, losing 1/2 of her thyroid. It is another hormonal problem that causes mood swings, menstrual problems and maybe infertility, not sure yet. They checked her for diabetes, also. During the time of diagnosis, she was also losing a lot of her hair. So like Nakamova mentioned previously, I think the problem is the thyroid......:ponder:

And yes, blood sugar levels can even cause seizures.

I have had my thyroid and bloods checked. Tjey both came back normal. Im now very confused.

Back
Top Bottom