Epilepsy and hair loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

i dont want to wear a wig i want my hair, have you heard of alpecin shampoo? for hair loss? ive jus bought some im going to try it and see, but thanx for your your advice il give it a try.

Shampooing can be damaging to the hair especially if it has sulfates. it can weaken your hair and it takes away the natural oils that you have which help to condition your hair.

I shampoo about once a week and i only use conditioner, because shampoo strips my hair so much, even the sulfate free ones.

Wigs can be very inconspicuous, especially the 'lace front' wigs which are applied with glue or tape. they stay on and look very natural. the trouble is that it costs so much for a wig that has real hair, not synthetic hair. while your hair is under a wig it is protected from the elements

ive googled it and it is highly reccomended, i cant use conditioner because my hair is naturally oily. aw god i jus wanna stop taking my meds altogether.

Hang in there!! all you have to do is find the right kind of therapeutic treatment so that you can restore your life or at least feel comfortable. without your medication, your life could be a lot harder to deal with.

well i have been to the docs who wrote a letter to my neurologist its been 3 weeks and still noting so i rang them and the nearest time they can give me is december and im already feeling very low which isnt good.

Biotin is a B vitamin (B7). Its also calleds "vitamin H," and aids in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins as well. Biotin intake can help with the following conditions:
•healthy hair
•acne
•brittle nails
•diabetes
•eczema
•hair loss
•mild depression
•skin rash

Symptoms of biotin deficiency include thinning of the hair, a red scaly rash (especially around the eyes, nose, and mouth), depression, exhaustion, hallucinations, and tingling of the arms and legs. Biotin deficiency may also lead to high cholesterol and heart problems.

To get your fill of biotin, make sure to include biotin-rich foods like brewer's yeast, nutritional yeast, liver, cauliflower, salmon, bananas, carrots, egg yolks, sardines, legumes, and mushrooms in your diet. If you're considering the use of biotin supplements talk to your doctor before starting your supplement regimen.

Does it actually stop the hair loss?

I don't take the supplements, but I eat everything on the above list apart from the legumes and yeasts. Don't know if it's anything to do with that or something else, but my hair grows fast, which was lucky because I once allowed a friend to cut it and his hand slipped and he made a mess!!! lol
But I do have a very small bald patch where I had a heterotopia removed from my scalp almost 19 years ago, that has never grown back. And I've always eaten those foods.

well biotin dont seem to be working, if anythin i think more hair is coming out can this be possible?

Oh my god! Such a great debate on biotin! CC u tell me what are the medicines u take? Why do u want biotin to work if it might not be the culprit??????? I think u need to change the drug( if at all that is possible) so as to stop this hair loss. When did u start with the medication? What does ur doctor suggest?

Hi survivor am on 500mg of keppra. Its making me feel so down its makin my hair fall out eyelashes and eyebrows too. I got reccomended biotin bt i feel t more i take th more falls out. After 3 attempts of tellin my doc i was in wrong meds he actually agreed with me. Its took 3 weeks for the neuroligist to finaly get bk to me sayin th nearest appointment is not till.december. So i gotta live wi these stupid side affects until december. I cant reallyb

Is there any way possible that you could get on a different medication? I was given a different medication after i complained that i was ALLERGIC to dilantin, which i was. it caused hives all over my body, and it was miserable. They gave me tegretol because i have complex partial seizures that generalize into tonic clonic..

there are alternatives for the medication that you take....search it out and see which ones would be more tolerable. you do have options, dont give up!!:comp:

Am going to ask my neuroligist wen i eventually gwt an appointment which iant till december. I cant cooe.wi these side affects that long. N av told em this.

olive oil and cod liver oil

has anyone heard if cod liver oil works for hair loss? or rubbin olive oil onto your scalp?any comments would be great.

has anyone heard if cod liver oil works for hair loss? or rubbin olive oil onto your scalp?any comments would be great.

No, haven't heard that - but i have heard of monistat -

http://www.heralopecia.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11610
Monistat for Hair Growth - a discussion

http://www.womanhairgrowth.com/miconazole-nitrate-hair-growth.htm
Miconazole - hair growth

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21915
Long hair discussion - long post, full of suggestions

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t4749-monistat-for-hair-growth
Testimonials and suggestions -

http://www.hairlossfight.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2062
Discussion on hair loss - promising results!

http://hairgrowth.tv/connection-between-monistat-and-hair-growth/386/
Discussion on why miconazole works [for some people!]

http://suicidesevemonistat.blogspot.com/2011/03/growing-your-hair-using-monistat.html
Discussion on why miconazole works - with a video
ALSO included with this is the side effects that some have experienced, which is why i would suggest if you use something like this, to test it in a small, inconspicuous place, wher you might be sensitive, like behind your ear, or at the base of your hair, by your neck. Test it first because you dont want to apply it overall just to find that it causes issues for you. i think that those who have issues with it are sensitive anyway.

My hair has gotten thinner since I changed to Keppra a few years ago. I have spent a fortune on all kinds of hair products. I tried Biotin and it didn't work. The only thing that makes my hair look a little thicker for 2 weeks is dyeing my hair to Auburn..............the color red makes my hair look thicker for 2 weeks.:e:

i just want my hair back, i have bought sum shampoo supposed to help with hair loss i hope it works but i know how you feel. its crap isnt it?

It really is crap. And the Dr doesn't care. He wont admit that the Keppra is ruining my hair but he does say"would you rather have seizures?" I only have simple partial nocturnal seizures and I also suffer from migraines.

Crazy Chick: let me know if you find a shampoo that works.:e:

I tried Aveda, Paul Mitchell, Aussie and none helped my hair but I don't think the Dr wants me to go off the keppra. Maybe I could get him to lower the dosage I wonder if that would help.:rolleyes:

I have had my dosage lowered and i feel no different. I git a shampoo yesterday called alpercin i think its specifically for hair loss it better work for the price i paid lol. Yes ill defo let ya kbw. Have u trued biotin? it dont work for me bt it might for u. Im tryin to eat lots of fruit and veg see if that helps. My doctir admited today that keppra duz make ya hair fall out after 3 attempts he agreed wi me. But il def ket ya knw bout th shampoo. Hooe ya get yaself sorted. I cant cope wi these stupid side affects.

Back
Top Bottom