Epilepsy and live music

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mono

New
Reaction score
Hi friends!

I just got back from seeing some really loud bands. I was standing by the speaker pretty much for the entirety of the show and noticed I would occasionally feel like my mind would fade in and out and I'd have a very light, brief aura. I felt like my head was tilting sometimes and it dropped completely over to the side at one stage. I was super surprised I didn't hit the deck to be honest, I'm really not sure how I managed to stay upright...?

Am just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar due to loud noises and if this was possible seizure activity or whether my mind is just tripping out? I often have sensory overload but it's never been as bad as it was tonight and I've been in many live music situations like this before. I think on only one of those prior occasions I'd had a similar aura/head tilting/dropping issue. I was standing by the speaker that time too.

(FWIW my friend noticed some complex partial seizures during intermissions as well. Consisted of my eyes deviating upwards and getting stuck, tongue clicking and fast blinking)

I've been to alot of concerts with very loud music sitting all around the audience, being farther and closer to the speakers. I've never had a problem.

I tend to have a seizure with in the next few days however. I don't know if it was just because it was a big event with excitement going on because it seems anytime I go to a big event I'll seem to have a seizure. It's may be a big party or picnic but the seizure will usually come.

A little while back though my husband was listening to some hard rock music really loud in the house and I thought I was going to throw up.

Some folks are triggered by particular sounds/frequencies and/or certain kinds of music. People with startle epilepsy react to sudden sensory stimuli -- loud noises, unexpected movements or lights. Maybe something along those lines was happening to you.

Hey guys - don't know if it was a seizure after doing a little bit of reading. I remember finding out some time ago that the ears have a lot to do with balance. With that in mind, looking back on the other night, it doesn't surprise me that I was having trouble staying upright considering that I was directly beside the speaker with only the width of my left shoulder separating my head from it. I am already sensitive to noise due to my other issues so that would explain why I seem to be the only one affected by it at each show.

Doesn't explain the aura's but I suppose they can just happen for no reason at all? Although I was tired and stressed out after a hard day so that could possibly be a trigger for it.

Hi friends!

I just got back from seeing some really loud bands. I was standing by the speaker pretty much for the entirety of the show and noticed I would occasionally feel like my mind would fade in and out and I'd have a very light, brief aura. I felt like my head was tilting sometimes and it dropped completely over to the side at one stage. I was super surprised I didn't hit the deck to be honest, I'm really not sure how I managed to stay upright...?

Am just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar due to loud noises and if this was possible seizure activity or whether my mind is just tripping out? I often have sensory overload but it's never been as bad as it was tonight and I've been in many live music situations like this before. I think on only one of those prior occasions I'd had a similar aura/head tilting/dropping issue. I was standing by the speaker that time too.

(FWIW my friend noticed some complex partial seizures during intermissions as well. Consisted of my eyes deviating upwards and getting stuck, tongue clicking and fast blinking)

I've heard that the brain works in low frequency waves, 20 cycles per second etc
high quality sound can reach these levels in Hertz easily

lound sounds can cause compression waves which can alter the conductivity of materials, including brains

speakers contain large magnets which can have some neurological effects
so can high voltage currents, with electromagnetism

and loud speakers can simply crush your eardrums, causing loss of balance - balance organs are in your ears

it could be as simple as that

it could be as simple as getting your drink on at a concert, and the bar serving crap booze

it could even be minor earthquakes (again with the vibrational frequencies and low frequency soundwaves)

first of all, I would recommend not standing directly next to speakers at a show

and if you've never had seizures before I would not make much of it - and give your ears a rest

but if you must destroy your hearing with a loud show - save it up for something worthwhile like this:
http://www.deadmau5.com/shows/

really techno musicians I would trust more in terms of sound quality - it's digital from the basis of creation, and musicians work in terms of waveform creation and clarity moreso than the stack-of-marshalls-and-tubedriveranddistortionpedals types of "really loud" bands

unfortunately humans generally think "loud" means "winner" and then follow

lound sounds can cause compression waves which can alter the conductivity of materials, including brains
A compression wave is not necessarily loud. A compression wave is one that is made from vibration (all sounds). Sound vibration does not alter brain conductivity. If that were true then music itself or just talking would provoke seizures.
The back-and-forth vibration of an object creates the compression waves of sound. The motions of a loudspeaker cone, drumhead and guitar string are good examples of vibration that cause compression waves.
http://sciencevault.net/11hscphys/82worldcommunicates/822%20Sound.htm#anchor2

speakers contain large magnets which can have some neurological effects
Magnets have been scientifically proven again & again to have no association to curative medicine or harm ones health. That hasn't stopped various quacks from trying to rip off the gullible by selling them though
These static magnetic fields have no demonstrable effect on blood flow or living tissue, and their fields are so shallow they barely extend beyond the cloth in which they are encased, let alone to any significant tissue depth. And the scientific evidence for efficacy is negative.
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/magnetic-healing-through-the-ages/

it could even be minor earthquakes (again with the vibrational frequencies and low frequency soundwaves)
Again, no scientifically valid proof that earthquake vibrations have anything to do with health (unless you're right where the earthquake is & then it's more than just little vibrations)

Last edited:
Hi Petox - I'm sorry but our definitions of "worthwhile" are completely different to eachother. I listen to hardcore punk because I can relate to the lyrical content of the music. If I want to listen to music without substance, certainly I would listen to digital music (which I do occasionally ([dubstep]). In any case this discussion is not about what music is better. I can appreciate that most here would not enjoy hardcore punk and I'm absolutely OK with that. But whether the music is digital or not holds no weight in terms of the fact I may or may not have had a seizure while I was listening to loud music.

And FWIW I wasn't drinking because I can't. And I understand that I wasn't standing in the best place in terms of ear hurtiness - but in my experience it's one of the better places to stand if I want to be up the front and not get punched, kicked, pushed or stage dived on. There is method in my madness.

I am a musician and composer an perform live and we use big amps and speakers. One problem that can happen is a vertigo type episodes related to the pressure in the fluid in the ears. The equilibrium is effector highly. Sound is pressure and revels through water well, or fluid well because water is very dense. You describe very detailed vertigo episodes. Someone's the effect of this can feel like an aura and what I mean is nausea, light-headiness, fatigue, and overwhelming sensation. Those vibrations can do a lot. Lol
I was performing at South by South West here in Austin and of course we had to crank it up a lot for a bug audience to hear. I was actually getting sick quick and had to tell the sound person to reduce the bass a lot. Hitting one key down produced a strong sensation bec it was so loud! Lol
Anyway.. I hope this helps. I would also mention to dr too if u think it might be more seizure related. There r musicogenic sz too but it's rare.

Please take care and wear ear plugs if your standing next to an amp. The hair in your ears can deteriorate from so much movement. I'm being protective here lol. I am hard of hearing and use power hearing aids- but some musicians actually loss eating from loud gigs..
Okoff for now for real :) lol

-Crystal

Hi Petox - I'm sorry but our definitions of "worthwhile" are completely different to eachother. I listen to hardcore punk because I can relate to the lyrical content of the music. If I want to listen to music without substance, certainly I would listen to digital music (which I do occasionally ([dubstep]). In any case this discussion is not about what music is better. I can appreciate that most here would not enjoy hardcore punk and I'm absolutely OK with that. But whether the music is digital or not holds no weight in terms of the fact I may or may not have had a seizure while I was listening to loud music.

And FWIW I wasn't drinking because I can't. And I understand that I wasn't standing in the best place in terms of ear hurtiness - but in my experience it's one of the better places to stand if I want to be up the front and not get punched, kicked, pushed or stage dived on. There is method in my madness.

acknowledged
I have been having some moods lately
hardcore punk is cool with me

Im a live sound engineer, I know of at least one person who went into convulsions from loud bass waves, from subwoofers, its understandable, since the harmonics can resonate in your organs including your brain, causing them to vibrate, and for some people, that could be a trigger.

Im talking about sustained low frequencies, where you can feel your chest resonating and your head rattling.

Im talking about sustained low frequencies, where you can feel your chest resonating and your head rattling.

OMG I hate that. I love professional fireworks shows on holidays, but when they shoot off those huge white ones that flash and boom really loud and vibrates my chest, it stresses me out, and almost makes me feel like I'm going to have a seizure.

Also, my dad has an awesome sound system in the house for movies and music, and he's got this big subwoofer and sometime the movies have this low hum- a sound effect you can barely hear without having a big subwoofer, and I feel it vibrating in my body and makes me feel all weird.
Funny side note- our neighbors (whose house is not super close to mine) feel their house vibrating when we watch movies at my house because we share a large piece of bedrock. hahaha.

Last edited:
Um...I really find the term subwoofers amusing. I know they are speakers but it still always makes me laugh. I may be easily amused though.

Concerts and loud noises are a tricky combination. THen throw in light shows and feedback and it spells trouble.

Forget fireworks. Sparklers even. We even throw a Victoria Day fireworks party each year (this Sunday actually) and I always have to go inside for them. At least I can use the baby excuse this year and say that the baby is afraid and slip away.

Im a live sound engineer, I know of at least one person who went into convulsions from loud bass waves, from subwoofers, its understandable, since the harmonics can resonate in your organs including your brain, causing them to vibrate, and for some people, that could be a trigger.

indeed - if anyone questions the power of vibrational frequencies to alter perceptions and levels of consciousness they need to get a clue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Acoustic_Device

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weapon

I've posted this before but I suppose it seems relevant to post again

if the military believes it it must be true
:roflmao:

ever been in a room with a buzzing light? and notice the sense of relief when the noise finally stops? Sound influences us in many many ways.
`i was working in the concert industry for a long time before my first known seizure, Im amazed I can still do it, lack of sleep, time changes, flying, stress, loud noise, flashing lights, missing home, its not an ideal career, its all I know, as Im getting older I know my time is running out, not sure what profession to do next, that alone is a huge stresser. At least I get to see some of the world. just finished up Birmingham, next stop Manchester, can anyone guess which artist i work for?

pray tell Aby - if you're talking about the music industry it sounds like a pretty sweet job!

ever been in a room with a buzzing light? and notice the sense of relief when the noise finally stops? Sound influences us in many many ways.
`i was working in the concert industry for a long time before my first known seizure, Im amazed I can still do it, lack of sleep, time changes, flying, stress, loud noise, flashing lights, missing home, its not an ideal career, its all I know, as Im getting older I know my time is running out, not sure what profession to do next, that alone is a huge stresser. At least I get to see some of the world. just finished up Birmingham, next stop Manchester, can anyone guess which artist i work for?

its a great job at times, it has its pros, and cons, Id say who I work for but I dont want this showing up on a web search, Ill give one hint though, hes the guy who writes the songs who makes the whole world sing, don't say his name though, Im not sure if I want my employers to know I have epilepsy, because of the liability and ignorance. Most of my seizures have been work stress related, my first t/c was from the stress of quiting a tour over money.

i go to concerts all the time and i get this every time, every now and then i found sort of feel like im not there like a out of body thing its strange i dunno if its anything ep or just abit of panic attack

or maybe its the lights, they panic me when strobe comes on even tho i dont have sezures with them i would feel stange with them

Back
Top Bottom