Extreme heat & epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hosea

New
Reaction score
Are there any connection between Summer's extreme heat and epilepsy? If so, what precaution should we take?

Hi Hosea!

Yes, heat can have a LOT to do with E. So, do as much as you can to stay cool and hydrated while you are out in the heat. I'm NOT saying to avoid the heat, unless it is a trigger for you.

But yes, E can be affected by heat......

Extreme heat effects seizures

Very hot weather and perspiration can trigger your seizures, here's how;

This post is from 2 years ago but I thought I should mention it again.

Hi everyone. You may or maynot have read in some of my previous posts, I have noticed that my gait and coordination are off (more than usual). During this time, worse than usual. I've been tripping alot and falling and having alot of petit-mal seizures and outer body experiences (de ja vu). Recently, I had my semi-annual appt with my neorologist and I mentioned this to him. I found this very interesting. He said that because of all the very hot weather, we tend to perspire more and it can have a negative effect on your meds and cause you to act like you're drunk because you lose so much of your medication though your perspiration (I sweat ALOT) bringing your blood syrum level down. If my medication level were to be increased, the meds could go toxic in my system causing a whole new set of problems. Before he changes any of my meds he ordered a special type of blood test that most labs won't do because it's so expensive, "Blood Syrum Unbound Fraction" to see how much of my medication is being lost through perspiration. I'm not totally sure but I think he explained that it shows how much of the medication is actually in the blood and how much is being stored, that's the "unbound fraction". It's a very rare type of test. In my 28 yrs. with epilepsy, I've never heard of this before and find it quite interesting. I always knew that you lost some of your medication though perspiration, but not that much.

Randy

Extreme heat can affect your metabolism, your sensitivity to alcohol and other chemicals, and your ability to stay hydrated and keep a proper electrolyte balance. Your brain can be affected, and the meds that you take for your brain can be affected too. If you think you might be vulnerable, avoid stressing your system, and make sure to have plenty of water (as Meetz says above) along with good sources of calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, sodium, etc. in your diet (and/or from vitamins, or vitamin-fortified water).

Heat and humidity together are a trigger for my seizures. When I was in PA 4 years ago for my grandson's graduation, it was hot and humid. My seizures got so bad that my daughter sent me home by airplane to CA. I asked her to send me home. I was a lot better in the airplane and when I got home.

At the small town that I live in, we have dry heat and low humidity. Our temperature is in the 100's now. I go out in the morning and stay in during the afternoon. Dry heat is a trigger for me, as well.

Thx 4 the FYI CWE folks. RanMan, running since 1979, I can see you ahead wearing that Maple Leaf shirt, "ay".

Hi everyone. You may or may not have read in some of my previous posts, I have noticed that my gait and coordination are off (more than usual). During this time, worse than usual. I've been tripping alot and falling and having alot of petit-mal seizures and outer body experiences (de ja vu).
He said that because of all the very hot weather, we tend to perspire more and it can have a negative effect on your meds and cause you to act like you're drunk because you lose so much of your medication though your perspiration (I sweat ALOT) bringing your blood syrum level down.

That sounds a lot like me. It's lovely and sunny here today, and i've been on a couple of long walks and went swimming too. I've had the most awful stench of garlic in my nose quite a few times today, and according to my brother i've been acting quite "odd" all day. I could trip over a strand of hay. More absences than usual too.

Who needs alcohol, eh?

I live in Dallas and it looks like it will be a hotter summer than last year. I got diagnosed in early 2008 and didn't notice any problem last year. But I have noticed this year having the drunk feeling when I get overwhelmed with the 100 heat. I really didn't know that the heat could have any effect on me. Thanks to all for educating me...I will try to do a better job of stay cool!

Yup, me and my brother went to a waterpark but it's right at the other side of town. Hence the walking hehe.

I think it's different for everyone.

I've never noticed heat being a trigger for me. Living in Oklahoma all my life, I'm probably used to the heat though.

Oklahoma is always EXTREMELY hot and humid in the summertime. Right now it's about 100 degrees outside, has been for about a week or so and is gonna get hotter. We have an "extreme heat warning" until at least Thursday. I haven't noticed an increase in my seizures. When I was a kid I played soccer in the heat and was outside all the time, in the hottest part of the summer (mid July through mid Sept). I didn't have a problem. I always made sure I was hydrated though. Drink lots of water and gatorade.

No, I was told that when water is concern: showers and no swimming. That's my question,
just like driving a car, swimming is a no-no. I would love to take a dip right now. Current temp. is 95 degrees. Just ran out of grape juice. The store is 1 mile away, 10 minutes by car. I've let all that go, "another love TKO". Now Loopy Lou, tell me why you still swim, my
CWE friend.
Amigo

No swimming or bathing unattended.
Swimming is allowed with a trusted companion with great water and First Aid skills. Bathing in a tub is also allowed but someone must be close by to check often.

I think it's different for everyone.

I've never noticed heat being a trigger for me. Living in Oklahoma all my life, I'm probably used to the heat though.

Oklahoma is always EXTREMELY hot and humid in the summertime. Right now it's about 100 degrees outside, has been for about a week or so and is gonna get hotter. We have an "extreme heat warning" until at least Thursday. I haven't noticed an increase in my seizures. When I was a kid I played soccer in the heat and was outside all the time, in the hottest part of the summer (mid July through mid Sept). I didn't have a problem. I always made sure I was hydrated though. Drink lots of water and gatorade.

Heather,
Being used to the heat like you are, you probably don't perspire as much as some other ppl might ~ perspiration, from the heat, that's where the prob. is.

Randy

No, I was told that when water is concern: showers and no swimming. That's my question,
just like driving a car, swimming is a no-no. I would love to take a dip right now. Current temp. is 95 degrees. Just ran out of grape juice. The store is 1 mile away, 10 minutes by car. I've let all that go, "another love TKO". Now Loopy Lou, tell me why you still swim, my
CWE friend.
Amigo

Oh, i see - sorry i misread that:ponder: The waterpark we went to has loads (and i mean loads) of life guards stationed around the place. They saved me from nearly drowning years ago which was the last time i went. Was in the wave pool and couldn't get my head above the water. They all have to be trained in first aid and stuff before they work there.

My brother or my mum come with me if i'm swimming in the health club i normally go to for fitness. I wasn't told that i couldn't go swimming, just that i needed to have someone with me. My mum is well trained in First Aid as she does the same job i do, where it is mandatory training. I think i'm probably safer in the bath than in the shower in my house :roflmao: The bath is only just long enough for me to sit up in it, but even so i always leave the door unlocked and make sure that someone is in the house.

I'd hate it if i was told to give up swimming completely. I'm a real water-baby.

It's still really hot here. Getting a headache a lot lately, so hopefully a thunderstorm is on it's way to cool things down a bit.

Loopy Lou, I know now who to follow:adore: the man with the golden out look:e::cheers:

Hi Everyone, I use to go swimming all of the time in the summer. We do not have a pool here. It never affected my seizures. It cooled me off.

Heather, the heat affects me badly. It is in the 100's now. I have to go out in the morning and stay in the house with my A/C in the afternoon. Extreme heat is a trigger for me.

I have lived in Texas since 1976 and don't think I will ever get use to the heat. We have been over 100 all week. I do sweat from the heat. I guess I am lucky in that neuro upped my Keppra due to a nocturnal seizure 2 months ago.

I have to be very careful when it comes to being overheated. One of my seizure meds and my blood pressure med caused me to be very sensitive ( if this is the right word) to heat, I can end up having seizures and/or I get very shaky, lightheaded, dizzy and my vision becomes blurry.

we live in HUD apartment which we are only allowed air conditioners in one window downstairs, and the upstairs in this apts in the summer time are like walking into an oven. I can't get much accomplished upstairs in the summer because of such sensitivty to the heat. I know when I start sweating really bad and start to get shaky that OK, can't be up here any longer.

It can not be so good at inspection times in the late spring or early summer because it so hard to keep the upstairs in good enough shape for inspection.

Back
Top Bottom