Have you ever really hurt yourself bad during a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Geez, after reading what you all did, mine are pretty simple injuries. I don't mean to laugh, but if you think about it, some of it would make pretty good slap-stick. Talk about the "Funniest Videos" If you weren't hurt when these things happened, (like in a cartoon) it would be really silly.:roflmao:

Wow. Maybe we should create t-shirts that say something like 'The Surgeon General has determined that seizures may be hazardous to your health.'

I love it!

I think you've given Mr. B an idea!

:D

It looks like, to me, that most epileptics tend to hurt themselves than to hurt others.:agree:

I can't remember any major cuts, but I have a minor crack in a rib once. I seized and fell on a tent stake. Otherwise, just the normal bruises.

My worst is when I almost drowned, twice. The first time was with my very first seizure and I was in the bath. The second was years later while canoeing with my wife. She saved my life both times. I would have definitely drowned the second time.

See http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f36/hero-stories-3237/

Last edited:
Not many big falls. Since I have no idea they coming on i can`t get to a safe place {what ever a safe place is}. I did have a seizure and fell in a road { i was told} when i got to er i told them it hurt to turn and breath, so they took x-rays. Well least the rib was only bruised bad, but the lung was bruised also. Then i had another seizure and fell in road the same way { i was told} they said both ribs bruised badly and lungs this time. Then theres is the normal falling in the tub, falling onto the floor getting out of the tub. Course waking up to blood all over your mouth {hate that} I did bite my dad thump nail in half {but i was only 4 years old then}.

Love the t-shirt idea

Last edited:
You Can Drown In 3 Inches of Water!!

My neuro advised me not to have a bath when alone in the house, so I just have showers now, but for some reason, I used to have a big problem in the bathroom, I fell out the shower a few times, and have various dents on my head, I fell off the loo once, I once had a shower, got dry, dressed, and then found myself back in the shower. I once read of a woman who's seizures were bought on when cleaning her teeth!! Wow!! I've got a huge burn on my right boob where I was drying my hair, had a wobbler, and the hairdryer fell onto my chest while still going, ouch!! I've fallen down the stairs, poured a kettle of boiling hot water over my right hand, and collapsed in various public places sustaining bruises everywhere. My teeth are a bit uneven after crunching them together too. Oh the joys of E!! I have always said that it's not me that suffers with it but the people around me!! :bigsmile:

Love To All HAPPY XMAS!!!

Elaine xxxxxxx

Bust my lip after an atonic once when i was 14. got a few stitches to sew it back together. Smacked my head against a marble porch during an atonic too , but i have a bit of a thick skull , so no stitches needed.Hit my head against a tree while riding a bike (absence) . No other injuries that were seizure related( im assuming tongue biting doesn't count). However i have done many many stupid things as a kid , like putting my finger in a bulb socket ("just to see what would happen." I got fried - that's what happened) , kept whacking my foot against steel sheeting during the renovation of my house ...... i'm just an accident waiting to happen. If someone asked me - describe your life in a word - answer - "D'Oh!" .

I have fallen and hit my head several times from seizures. I fell down the stairs once. I fell out of a tree once when I was a kid.

Somehow, I've managed to avoid serious injury but I did bite a good chunk out of my tongue once. Now I have a nice little flap of tongue flesh that just kind of flops around in my mouth. I've really wanted to get it fixed but keep putting it off. I don't know how but I've learned not to bite it while eating, talking, etc. But next seizure I have, I know I'm gonna bite the crap out of it.

I think I've just been lucky. My closet doors are two large sliding mirrors. I know that's a really bad idea and I hope I never fall into them.

My mom (brain / Sharon) had really bad one where she was stitched all over her left eye and had it been closer she would had lost sight in her left eye. She had a grand mal seizure in the bathroom years ago, and dad and I don't know why she went in there for but we heard a crash and blood was everywhere and she was seizing and then went limp over the toilet with her body over in strange angle between toilet and edge of shower corner. Landlord was called and mom was in hospital. Landlord removed the glass shower all off and put up shower curtains and a railing. Our Landlord was our personal doctor so he knew us very well and my mom mostly. I can't forget about all the blood everywhere and she still bears those scars as it ripped a lot of skin off. It's faded but she hides it with make up.

:cry:

Once I fell and hit a kitchen counter, cleanly splitting a lip into two sections. Stitches were required, and there's a nice scar now. Awful memory waiting for the ambulance.

Well, broke my nose, got third degree burns on my arm when I was a teen.Curling iron. I actually had long hair.I really don't remember a whole lot. I remember the ones I hated the most was being outside and falling flat on my face on the cement and rubbing and rubbing and rubbing. My face was torn up, bloody , scabby for weeks. I've done that a couple of times. It looked like I got the you know what kicked out of me. lol no scars.MY back and hips are hurting now from falling to.

shoulder dislocation....while sleeping...thanks to my girlfriend

I had had a T-C seizure 2 years ago and my girlfriend (at that time) didn't move off my left arm. It was dislocated due to that. Since then, I've dislocated my shoulder 3 more times (only one, however, due to a seizure while sleeping).

yes i have injured self how bad you be jude lol few sprained ankles , pinched a nerve in my back and made a crack in a bone in back among countless brusies.

holding you down while you are seizing

Travlnball, if I read you right, you said your girlfriend held your arm down while you had a tc seizure, right? My husband laid on me and held both my arms down (kind of like a wrestler hold another down) and I remember trying to tell him to get off me. I never go completely unconcious and that's a real problem for me because I can kind of tell what is going on and I know I shouldn't feel this way, but it embarasses me that I'm doing that in front of even my husband. He hurt me when he did that, but it didn't bruise me. It only took my breath away.:embarrassed:

drarvindr, you are not alone in the "D'Oh!" department....my hubby has hit himself in the head (intentionally) with the following items: a cast iron skillet, a hatchet (luckily the dull side), and a rolling pin. When asked why, he said he wanted to see it it really hurt. *sigh* men.....

Skillefer, did he say if it hurt? I fell last summer (off the commode of all things) and hit my heat against the tub and knocked myself out. I still have a lump on my head from it.
That hurt!

According to hubby, yes, they hurt....and he did give himself a bump on the head with the rolling pin and cast iron skillet... :)

When asked "What do you mean to see if it hurt?" His reply, "I wanted to see if it hurt as bad as they show on the TV and in the movies...." *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom