Meds and libido.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
This is a bit embarrassing for me to ask but I can't talk to my doctor about it as he is not a people person. His bed side manner is non-existant.

Anyway,in the past 2 years I've found that my libido and ability to orgasm has slowly dwindled :(
I'm just wondering could my medication have a part to play in this.
My weight has also ballooned due to a bad hip and even though I've been dieting and working my butt off for the past 3 months I've seen no results.

Anyway,my lack of sex drive is starting to stress me and my fiancee out.
Anyone going through the same thing?

Hey there. Some meds can interfere with libido. Are you taking a serotonin re-uptake inhibitor by any chance? Serotonin tends to lower sexual desire. I took a re-uptake inhibitor about 12 years ago for about a year, and it definitely affected my libido. It was almost impossible to feel any sensation of arousal. Orgasms were non-existent for that period. There are other meds that have been listed as having possible side-effects.

>Here's a list of meds that may affect sexual function. (Scroll down)

How can medicines affect sexual function?

The mechanism of sexual function is not fully understood.

It involves a complex coordination of hormones, chemical messengers in the brain (neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin) and the sexual organs. In general:

dopamine increases sexual function
serotonin inhibits sexual function
the hormone testosterone is important, as are the blood vessels involved in producing an erection.

A medicine can therefore affect sexual function in several ways.

Libido or sex drive

Sex drive is influenced by reproductive hormones, particularly testosterone, which is required for sexual arousal.

Medicines that reduce the testosterone level or block its effects are likely to reduce sex drive.

Libido is also affected by your general emotional and physical health. Medicines that affect any of these aspects, even indirectly by causing drowsiness, lethargy, weight gain or confusion, have the potential to reduce your sex drive.

Medicines that can affect sexual function

Antidepressants are the medicines most frequently implicated in causing sexual dysfunction. This is because they work by altering levels of chemicals in the brain. In particular, SSRIs increase serotonin levels, which inhibits sexual function.

Blood pressure lowering (antihypertensive) medicines are also implicated, although the mechanism by which they cause sexual problems will vary from medicine to medicine.

The table of medicines below lists the sexual side effects that some people have reported during their use. This list is not exhaustive.

Remember, not everyone experiences side effects with medicines and your sexual difficulties may be completely unrelated to your medication, even if it does appear in this list.

I think the Lamictal is having a similar effect on me, though since I went on it when I was 43 (three years ago), it's hard to know if aging is playing a role too.

Which med(s) are you on?

I am currently taking epilim 500mg tds
Zonegran 25mg tds
Zebinix 400mg nocte
Frisium 10mg bd

That's all of them lol. Currently chopping and changing meds while I'm in hospital.

I think all the brain meds can potentially mess with libido -- causing both too much and too little -- and the higher the dose, the more likely that side effects will occur.

Topomax seems to me having this effect on me. I hope it will get better over time.

Lamictal since 42 (10 years). Still active and enjoying things despite the hormone changes kicking in, so no affect from meds here.

I have been on topomax not quite 3 months, and that is when this started. Does this problem get better as you adapt to the medicine? Sex drive is dead, and it's like trying to enjoy your favorite dessert while having your mouth shot full of novicain! You just gotta laugh! I have lost my business, best friend, my mind from side effects of meds, and now sex!

Tegretol took away so much of my Testosterone that I have to take Testosterone replacement shots. I had no sex drive and couldn't get an erection until I got the replacement shots.

Use Google and type in each of your drugs individually with "sex drive, orgasm, sexual function etc". It was the only way I found out it was the Tegretol causing my problems. If you find out your Med/Meds affect your hormones, ask your Dr. to get a hormone panel done. If you have to change meds, then change the meds!

It's not worth giving up your sex life over.

Last edited:
When I was going to the doctor trying to get somebody to figure out what was going on, I had a doctor that had went to a class on female hormones. I was having horrible night sweats along with all the other stuff that was going on, so she ran a full hormone panel. Turns out I had only 40 percent of the testosterone that I should have had. I know females have testosterone, but I just did not realize that they did not start to lose that hormone along with estrogen. When they started replacement testosterone, I almost died! I still had seizures and all, but I had a sex drive! I hate to start over on a new medicine again, as I have already taken 6 others, but this is starting to bother me, and my husband. My point is-if their is any other females that are having this issue, they might want to ask their doctor to have them check their testosterone levels. I would never have thought to do it. By the way-the night sweats were not from hormones-they were something to do with the seizures, as they went away after I started medication. Did anybody else have these?

I'm the oddball here...my libido actually went up on Lamictal, though I still have more trouble climaxing than I once did. But at least now I can get that occasional 'yow!' with my fiance, which is more than I could say before my seizures were being treated.

And when is my libido the highest? Lately, during geomagnetic 'K-storms'. None today, only electron fluxes, which are notorious for killing my libido:-(

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive.html#2006

I would never have thought to do it. By the way-the night sweats were not from hormones-they were something to do with the seizures, as they went away after I started medication. Did anybody else have these?

I have nightsweats a lot. Usually between 2am and 3am my pores will start gushing sweat, mostly my upper body (chest, back, armpits, hands), but occasionally behind my knees and elsewhere. Doctors kept wanting to blame this on my hormones, but I tend to think that they are seizure-related, because that's when this all started. Only problem is they continue in spite of the Lamictal. I truly was hoping they'd go away because I'm tired of feeling dirty all the time.

I have 'day sweats', too...there are days I'm out in the yard and the humidity is low, and out of nowhere my pores will just start pouring rain, so much so that I have to run in and wipe my glasses off because my head had been dripping all over them and I couldn't see. Even my neighbor noticed and said something about its intensity. It's not always temperature-related either...I often find myself sweating right when I get out of the shower (until I blow-dry my hair, which is odd), when I should be shivering, and in the middle of winter on a cold, windy day.

Just be careful with that testosterone though. Back in my 30's my testosterone (and sex drive) was also low. I forget what it was...?...14?...I don't know...it was low though, even for a woman. They put me on testosterone (in a petroleum jelly base 'to be applied'), and using it exactly as prescribed, I began to notice my muscles growing like never before...I mean, I had biceps. Then I noticed my facial hair was 'thickening' and noticeable. I was concerned (obviously) so I had them recheck my levels. I forget the exact number, but my testosterone was at 700-something by then. So just be careful, unless biceps and facial hair are your 'thing'...

As far as how 'effective' testosterone treatment was for me? I could out-sex any guy on it at those levels...(must be nice being a guy)...though I have to admit that before these seizures, I could almost keep up.

My night sweats went away within a few days on being on medicine, along with waking up every hour, and or finding myself outside or somewhere that I did not remember going to. I am so glad they are gone. They were like I just stepped out of the shower, and it was a sick kind of sweating, not the kind when you are working out. I have my hormones checked, and have not been growing any muscles, facial or body hair. OMG-that is all I need!!! Crazy woman with mustache wandering around!!!! Anyhow the sex drive died when I started the topomax, and I cannot have an orgasm. That is the only thing that has changed with medicine. I am still having some small seizures, but nothing like before when I was so drained that I could barley get up. I am feeling really depressed, but I don't know if it's the medicine or that I am just down because I have lost my business, and feel so bad about it. It's been a really long time since I have not worked, and I cannot seem to get myself motivated to do anything.

Hi Dirt-in-the-ground!

First of all I'd like to say that your question is not an imbarassing question. Because there're many of us that're going through the same ordeal. I would just like to say that if you feel like you can't talk to your doctor about this problem. Because of his bed side manners. Then you need to switch doctors, because you should be able to tell your doc about any problems that you're having. In any situation that's what they're there for. I had a doctor that was the exact same way. I just couldn't talk to him without him giving me some snid remark. I finally got tired of him and told him what I thought of him. From then on I changed doctors. The one I have now is a great doctor. I feel like I can ask him anything refering to my meds and my illness, and feel really comfortable around him. Now onto the question at hand. I also have been having the same problem, I was always taking name brand meds. Except my insurance started giving me problems with helping me get my meds. So I had to start taking generic brand on my lamictal, and vimpat. Since then my sex drive has really gone down. I'm seeing my doc on the 27 of this month so I'm hoping she can help me fix this situation.

When I stopped taking Topomax, the problem went away. It's amazing what a few little pills can do, and how they effect us.

Yes, epilepsy drugs can affect hormones, thus sexual function. Below are three links about it. Any men (or those concerned about them) taking anticonvulsants may want to read these. If taking any of the anticonvulsants which affect hormones it may be worthwhile to see an endocriniologist to deal with any issues that come up. Sometimes the med dose can be changed, or other medications used to deal with lower testosterone, etc.
Zoe

http://epilepsy-ms.org/living-with-epilepsy/men-with-epilepsy/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2685882/

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/wi/print_section.php?section=specpop_men

yeah... the toppamax killed it for me too. It was low for me also before the toppamx but the topamax really killed it. Talked to my GP about it. They wanted me on Birth control anyway (I'm 36) So I went on NuvaRing wich was safe for me to go on brightend me right up! I don't know if its because the hormones are more localised or what but its helped. I don't care it's worked for me. And as a side benefit its made my Grand mal's less severe as a result.

hi- I just found info on raising testosterone levels by eating dates, strawberries, cinnamon... there are some plant/herbal remedies that have shown efficacy.
I'm getting some dates tonight.
some from the grocery store, and maybe one from the starbucks barista who I'm pretty sure has been eyeing me
each may hopefully show some effectiveness regarding the other
:banana:

This is a bit embarrassing for me to ask but I can't talk to my doctor about it as he is not a people person. His bed side manner is non-existant.

Anyway,in the past 2 years I've found that my libido and ability to orgasm has slowly dwindled :(
I'm just wondering could my medication have a part to play in this.
My weight has also ballooned due to a bad hip and even though I've been dieting and working my butt off for the past 3 months I've seen no results.

Anyway,my lack of sex drive is starting to stress me and my fiancee out.
Anyone going through the same thing?

I think that all of the AEDs can affect sexual function.. depending on the person taking the particular drug.

I took Dilantin for a long time and never had any problems in that area (even though it is supposedly known for causing libido probs). Once I switched to Neurontin exclusively.. and now Keppra exclusively.. my drive and function have markedly decreased to the point of nearly being non-existent.

It is for this reason that I am considering going back to Dilantin. I agree with the idea of getting hormones checked to make sure nothing is going on there, but keep in mind that different people don't always adhere to the normal reference ranges on the hormone scale.

Also, even if the hormones come back normal, that doesn't mean that the AED isn't acting as direct inhibitor of your sexual function. It really seems to be trial and error as my experience is that neurologists know very little about how AEDs affect sex and endocrinologists and urologists know very little about AEDs in general.

Back
Top Bottom