Moving to a higher altitude

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ln1

New
Reaction score
Hello all,

My family and I are considering Moving to Colorado from Texas. We lived in Colorado several years ago (before my first tonic-clonic and before I even knew I have E), but I wonder if anyone has had any changes in seizures (positive or negative) when visiting or moving to a higher altitude?

Thank you.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I will also check out the threads.

I climbed Mt Kilimangaro (19, 400 ft) with no ill effects and I've never had a problem with airplanes.

One thing about moving to Colorado that could be very good for your E is their enlightened attitude about marijuana :)

I felt that Colorado was very healthy for me. The dry cool air and bright sunshine are great. I do worst in warm humid climates. I feel like I can breathe above 5 or 7,000ft.

I climbed Mt Kilimangaro (19, 400 ft) with no ill effects and I've never had a problem with airplanes.

One thing about moving to Colorado that could be very good for your E is their enlightened attitude about marijuana :)

WOW! That definitely makes me feel a lot better.

So true about marijuana. LOL

I felt that Colorado was very healthy for me. The dry cool air and bright sunshine are great. I do worst in warm humid climates. I feel like I can breathe above 5 or 7,000ft.

Great to know, thanks!

I live in Denver. I moved back here 13 years ago from Memphis, TN and didn't have a change in seizure activity. But I have refractory E, so nothing helps control my seizures completely anyway. I've flown overseas and throughout the US and it hasn't effected my seizures. As far as Colorado being a good place because of the marijuana, depends on what type you get and who you get it from. The sunshine is definitely a plus for one's mood.

I live in Denver. I moved back here 13 years ago from Memphis, TN and didn't have a change in seizure activity. But I have refractory E, so nothing helps control my seizures completely anyway. I've flown overseas and throughout the US and it hasn't effected my seizures. As far as Colorado being a good place because of the marijuana, depends on what type you get and who you get it from. The sunshine is definitely a plus for one's mood.

Hello Cint! Thanks for the info. on Colorado and also on your travels. That really encourages me. My family and I love to travel and have visited several countries. The family wants to do more, but since being diagnosed, I have been hesitant about leaving the country. Your experience makes me give it a second thought. :hugs:

I love to travel also. Before my seizures, I was in the travel industry and was married to a FedEx pilot while living in Memphis. Therefore, we traveled far and wide with kids. I was in Memphis and my family was here in Denver. So I was going to take chances and fly, regardless of seizures. Fortunately, only 1 time did I have CP seizure at an airport. Usually I would have the seizure the day after I returned home.

Here is more info on E and travel:
http://www.epilepsy.com/get-help/managing-your-epilepsy/adapting-plans-travel

True, travel definitely needs to be recognized as a stressor and those of us with E have to be aware of and try to minimize this.

Things I have found help are trying to work in enough sleep before during or after the flight and taking a healthy snack with you like a bag of nuts so you won't be at the mercy of airport junk food. I think the iPod is the best invention ever for "tuning out" all the noise and being able to catch a nap. A sleep mask and earplugs are another way that works.

Sometimes journeys can be broken up into segments to give your body time to adjust like when I went to Africa, I flew via Amsterdam and stopped there for a couple of days. Otherwise it's about 24 hours straight (from west coast US).

The only time I had a problem was a long flight to China that crossed the dateline and I ended up missing a dose of my meds. I got to the hotel in Beijing and was so tired that I conked out without taking them and had a seizure then. Should have brought meds with me on the plane. Learned my lesson there.

Last edited:
I love to travel also. Before my seizures, I was in the travel industry and was married to a FedEx pilot while living in Memphis. Therefore, we traveled far and wide with kids. I was in Memphis and my family was here in Denver. So I was going to take chances and fly, regardless of seizures. Fortunately, only 1 time did I have CP seizure at an airport. Usually I would have the seizure the day after I returned home.

Here is more info on E and travel:

Thanks again!

True, travel definitely needs to be recognized as a stressor and those of us with E have to be aware of and try to minimize this.

Things I have found help are trying to work in enough sleep before during or after the flight and taking a healthy snack with you like a bag of nuts so you won't be at the mercy of airport junk food. I think the iPod is the best invention ever for "tuning out" all the noise and being able to catch a nap. A sleep mask and earplugs are another way that works.

Sometimes journeys can be broken up into segments to give your body time to adjust like when I went to Africa, I flew via Amsterdam and stopped there for a couple of days. Otherwise it's about 24 hours straight (from west coast US).

The only time I had a problem was a long flight to China that crossed the dateline and I ended up missing a dose of my meds. I got to the hotel in Beijing and was so tired that I conked out without taking them and had a seizure then. Should have brought meds with me on the plane. Learned my lesson there.

That is always my fear...traveling so far that I'm thrown off time-wise and missing a dose of my medicine. My other issue is my restricted diet. E, celiac disease (among other food sensitivities), and reactive hypoglycemia all came to light for me last March. I feel like I'm learning myself all over again. :)

Well with your dietary restrictions you are already an olds pro at keeping your blood sugar stable and avoiding junk foods. Now all you have to do is be careful about the meds and find a way that works of you to work your sleep time in around the journey.

I am gluten free also and eat a paleo diet so I am very careful about that. You know how you sometimes get puffy ankles after sitting in a plane for a long time? I find that doesn't happen if I stick to my diet. (Also, turn down the flight attendant's offer of cocktails. :( )

Well with your dietary restrictions you are already an olds pro at keeping your blood sugar stable and avoiding junk foods. Now all you have to do is be careful about the meds and find a way that works of you to work your sleep time in around the journey.

I am gluten free also and eat a paleo diet so I am very careful about that. You know how you sometimes get puffy ankles after sitting in a plane for a long time? I find that doesn't happen if I stick to my diet. (Also, turn down the flight attendant's offer of cocktails. :( )

True! :)

That is always my fear...traveling so far that I'm thrown off time-wise and missing a dose of my medicine. My other issue is my restricted diet. E, celiac disease (among other food sensitivities), and reactive hypoglycemia all came to light for me last March. I feel like I'm learning myself all over again. :)

I also have Type 1 Diabetes, so I need to watch what I eat ( my carbs). I also take insulin. I have to check by glucose every couple of hours and haven't had a problem doing that while traveling. I got a letter from my endocrinologist stating that I do have diabetes and NEED the needles, insulin, etc. I also have to bring on board my own snack, just in case.

Always bring your meds on board with you and take them the same time as usual. Never pack them with clothing!

Here is more info from the epilepsy foundation on the subject:

http://www.epilepsy.com/get-help/ma...pting-plans-travel/types-travel-and-vacations
-Travel with a companion – this is especially important for people with frequent seizures or seizures with a change in your awareness or behavior, or for those who are traveling long distances

-Bring a letter from your doctor describing your ability to travel by airplane and carry a completed Seizure Plan outlining what to do should a seizure occur.

-Carry a supply of medicines with you (in properly labeled bottles) so it is available if you need it during the flight.

I also have Type 1 Diabetes, so I need to watch what I eat ( my carbs). I also take insulin. I have to check by glucose every couple of hours and haven't had a problem doing that while traveling. I got a letter from my endocrinologist stating that I do have diabetes and NEED the needles, insulin, etc. I also have to bring on board my own snack, just in case.

Always bring your meds on board with you and take them the same time as usual. Never pack them with clothing!

Here is more info from the epilepsy foundation on the subject:

Thanks again, Cint!

I've never had issues travelling on planes. In the six years I didn't have any seizures, I travelled on a plane at least once or twice a year, as far as from the UK to the USA. I must admit, travelling does make me nervous now, but what're you gonna do? Can't live my life without enjoying and experiencing other parts of the world, that would be boring. I will think twice before booking a night or early flight though, although lack of sleep has never seemed to trigger a seizure, not that it couldn't.

I've never had issues travelling on planes. In the six years I didn't have any seizures, I travelled on a plane at least once or twice a year, as far as from the UK to the USA. I must admit, travelling does make me nervous now, but what're you gonna do? Can't live my life without enjoying and experiencing other parts of the world, that would be boring. I will think twice before booking a night or early flight though, although lack of sleep has never seemed to trigger a seizure, not that it couldn't.

Very good point about booking an early or late flight.
I definitely don't want to completely give up travel, so thank you so much for sharing what worked for you!

Possibility of Effects

:clap:In1,
If you were to only be at the higher altitude for short time, like an airplane trip, there should be no problems.
Now, if you are going to live at the higher altitude all of the time, I would have to say, that you should keep yourself from doing anything that is going to be strenuous. There will be less oxygen at that altitude and your body will have to make adjustments, which can take time(variable for each person). With less oxygen your brain will be affected, so this is why you would have to take it very easy until your body is acclimated to the new altitude. People are able to live at high altitude, just look at the people in the Andes(over 8000 feet above sea level), but they have to get acclimated to that level of oxygen in the air. These people are able to live from birth there because they have never had any different air to get used to!

ACsHuman:twocents:

Back
Top Bottom