Neurofeedback as a maintenance Prescription

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mr. Pibb

New
Reaction score
For those that have gone down the way of NFB have you asked that your Dr. write a Rx in the hopes that this can be used for insurance purposes. If so how is it being handled seeing that there is no set amount of visits per month or year? Just trying to figure out what is the best approach should I go down this road Trying to find some continuity so that a better case of why NFB should be a maintenance Rx
Jerry

Ours was set, starting at 20 sessions. I paid for the bulk upfront. I got a 10% discount because I am a member of CWE and another price break because we paid in full upfront.

I haven't used our Rx yet with the insurance company because I want to write a report with different costs of a year of meds, ER, EMTs etc, and compare it to the cost of neurofeedback. Plus, if it is reducing the seizures, you are in a win win situation. That to me is PRICELESS

Hey Bernard lets approach VISA for a new version of their priceless ads.

Jerry, we paid everything out of pocket. We didn't follow up with maintenance sessions in large part because we were tapped out by the time we stopped going and Stacy wasn't having seizures.

Our neurofeedback practitioner had recommended maintenance sessions once a month at the time we stopped.

Rx

So far from what I am seeing is that this is an out of pocket situation that one faces if they should considered going the route of NFB. If Neurofeedback were viewed he same way as VNS, Deep Brain Stimulation and some of the other therapy's out there, or do you think you think one of the if not the reason that it is not covered is the fact that it is a long term once a week visit to a technician. I am not trying to sound crass here just looking for some answers or bits and pcs. Of the solution so that I can approach my Insurance with a here are some of the facts about NFB making it a benefit to both parties involved. I am rambling here but lets face it for the most part without a good insurance provider picking up part of the bill going to the Dr. and having Him / Her acknowledges new and cutting edge technologies is near pointless even if it works.

Jerry

The AAPB and ISNR are working to get more awareness and coverage of neurofeedback in the insurance industry. You might try contacting either organization for ideas/assistance/references in approaching your specific insurance company. It's worth an email/phone call anyway. :twocents:

Back
Top Bottom