Please Answer

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
To what extent can you injure a shoulder during a seizure? I guess I hit the wall while having seizures today and it is really painful. It goes from right around my collar bone to my elbow. I can't lift it very high and I can't put it all the way back (like if you were gonna throw a football or something). I know you guys aren't doctors, I just was trying to get some ideas to figure out if I should go get it checked out. I just hate doctors. Thanks in advance.

SoonToBeMommy

Go get it cheeked out, the amount of damage you can do to your body is not funny I have done enough. I hate doctors but go.

agree with fedup.

time to let the doc provide you some TLC = help

Yea, but what if it isn't even injured that bad and what can they do for a shoulder injury anyway. Besides put it in a sling and tell me to take ibuprofen.

SoonToBeMommy

truth is, you know if you need a doc or rest,,,,your body will tell you ;)

Last edited:
If you dislike doctors that much go see a physiotherapist. At best they will do an evaluation and give you some therapeutic exercises to do. At worst they will send you for X-Rays and refer you on if there is a broken or chipped bone, and then see you again after some healing has taken place to strengthen the shoulder.

Get it checked out. I've dislocated my shoulder several times during seizures. The first time, I didn't even realize that I had dislocated it, just that it was painful to lift beyond a certain point. A relative suggested that maybe it was dislocated, so I went to the ER where they were able to put it back in place. A tear occurred which got worse the next time there was a dislocation. Eventually I had to have surgery (twice) to repair the damage.

You should got to the ER or your regular doc. Have them do a CAT scan to check for damage, and consider seeing an orthopedist to see if there's a torn labrum. If there is, and you catch it early, you might be able to prevent further damage by doing PT exercises, but if you let it go, it will continue to get worse.

Its painful even when I don't move it and it hurts 5x worse if I try to lift it and there is no way I can lift it or move it back past a certain point. But, it doesn't really look swollen too bad. If at all. But it is severely painful.

Ok not a doctor but, when I was 14 got mugged every tendon in my shoulder ripped it hurts least once a week there's q physio excersise and its basically like your rocking a baby do that ten times each way, but to be honest I would sleep it out aee how it is tommorow

Trying to just deal with it although it hurts even more now then it did. Trying to wait out until tomorrow.

Hi SoonToBeMommy. I fell in September from a seizure, broke my thumb and jarred my shoulder. I ignored the shoulder as it was just stiff and focused on the thumb. I ignored it as it got worse and worse so that I now have something called frozen shoulder and it is really a problem. I can't raise my arm above my ear, I can't reach behind my back, there is pain, weakness, and stiffness, and they ortho is talking about surgery to release the scar tissue. I'm not saying that's what's going on, I'm just saying that ignoring isn't always the best thing. I say this as a total hypocrite, as I am often one to ignore things, deny them, and stick my head in the sand for as long as I can. I just wanted to share a down side to nudge you along. Take care and I hope your shoulder feel better soon.

Thanks I'm probably gonna get it checked out because I have less movement in it today, just hope I'm not gonna be wasting time.

SoonToBeMommy

Good you need to look after yourself.

SoonToBeMommy

No it would not keep getting worse for no reason, you have got to look after yourself it is way to easy to damage yourself.

Went to the ER. The doctor was on something I swear....said they didn't see anything on X-Ray, but put me in a sling then said to be sure I try to move it....so wtf? And I have to follow up this week as soon as possible.

Glad you got it checked out. Can't mess with stuff like that. It could be a broken collar bone or even a tear in the muscle. You have what's called a rotator cup too and can injure that, if that was injured bad enough, it would require surgery. Go see a bone doctor, he'd know more than anyone, can't think of what they're called.

Back
Top Bottom