Unsteady feeling, like stepping onto a small boat?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
Does anyone ever feel this?

Kind of like the floor underneath you slightly wobbles beneath your feet? I've often tried to decribe the odd sensations I sometimes feel. I've never been very good at pen-pointing, but I thought this summed it up pretty well.

It kept happening to me while I was doing a little Christmas shopping yesterday. I was aware of it and it really disturbed me. It lasted for about 30 mins or so. I came home, had to take a nap, and felt better afterwords. Not 100%, but better.

This must be related to my E or my meds in some way. It can't be a normal thing, feeling these weird sensations.

Just wondering if anyone can relate and what your opinions might be.

Thanks~

I've felt that when transitioning up or down on Lamictal. Sort of as if I'd stepped on dry land after being on a sailboat all day.

I've been on the same dose of lamictal (150mg) since 09. This odd feeling did happen about an hour after taking my medicine.

I haven't seen my neurologist in a year. I'll call tomorrow and make an appointment.

Maybe your metabolism has changed in some way and the dose needs tweaking? I hope you don't get that sensation again...

I've had that happen on Keppra before, not an easy thing to feel in public. Perfect descprition, I could never place the loss of balance on any AED. It's different for sure. I am glad you are somewhat better.

If it happens again, you might want to ask your doctor about labrinthitis, aka inner ear infection.
http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/labyrinthitis-topic-overview

Last month I was walking down the hall, when all of a sudden I felt like I was walking across a tilt-a-whirl. :p It was so bad I fell over and couldn't lift my head for about five minutes. The whole event took a couple of hours to pass. Even though it did pass, I kinda panicked :embarrassed:and went to my doctor. He listened to me for about a minute, asked a couple of questions, and quickly diagnosed inner ear infection and prescribed meclizine which is a kind of antihistamine. Because I wasn't wobbly anymore, I thought he took me for a hypochondriac and was just trying to get rid of me asap. But he said that inner ear infection can come and go very suddenly. When I got home I looked it up on line and the symptoms matched except I didn't have nausea. I took the meclizine for a few weeks and only had a few more bouts of dizziness that were far less severe than the first. Since then I've had some balance issues, but I think it's pretty much under control.

BTW, in some of the other articles I read, they listed stress as a possible cause in addition to the respiratory and ear infections listed in this article.

My wife has a heck of a time maintaining her balance some times. Pretty sure it's the Dilantin in her case.

I have also had that sudden feeling! How fun would it be to get us all together when we are having that happen? We would look like a flash mob of drunks :)

Bernard your wife may need to get her levels checked. A spike in levels outside of the theraputic range causes loss of coordination. I have had that problem as well on dilantin and it always means my llevels are higher than they need to be

Last edited:
I've only had that problem when my dose is too high. I had it in conjunction with double vision and a general "drunk" feeling. I hope you feel better today!

I have also had that sudden feeling! How fun would it be to get us all together when we are having that happen? We would look like a flash mob of drunks :)

:roflmao: No kidding!

I need to go see my neurologist and I'll talk about it with him. I hate feeling like that. :(

Interesting about the ear. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks everyone. :D

I had this same feeling more than I care to think of. I tried everything, looking for help, the best thing that has help me is drinking a protein mix in the AM. and taking a Vit C. I've also found that walking on my treadmill for at. least 20 min. a day. I know walking on a treadmill doesn't sound like something you should do when you feel weak in the legs. I hold on and have a safety clip on me.

Sometimes I feel kind of unsteady when I walk, afraid I'll lose my balance and in the shower, when I close my eyes, I start going forward and backward, swaying

Sometimes I feel kind of unsteady when I walk, afraid I'll lose my balance and in the shower, when I close my eyes, I start going forward and backward, swaying

me might already have this, I don't know but wanted to share, I put a handle on my shower. I purchased it at Home Depot.

Hi, I just did a search on Labrinthitis and this thread came up. I've had this sensation for about days, I'd asked my neurologist if there was any possible link to my meds ( keppra and zonegran) he suggested dropping keppra down and then my balance improved.

Hope this helps a little, Steve

Hello,

Yeah, I feel like this on the regular. It's like I'm on a boat, even when I'm standing still. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with it in public without stumbling or feeling nauseous. Luckily I'm just clumsy naturally so people who know me don't notice. :)
Do you think it's related to the medication? or is it the disease?
How do you deal with it?

-Mary

Hi, I've recently noticed that id been more clumsy than normal, perhaps this was linked to my meds although I cannot be certain. One thing is certain that when I reduced my keppra dose my Labrinthitis symptoms did improve. It tends to be me that notices my balance issues more than others, apart from when I end up on the floor :)

I'm always unbalanced and don't think I can go much lower on meds it sucks might be a tab to give to drunks I'm sure they would enjoy haha

Back
Top Bottom