upcoming sleep deprived eeg

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have a sleep deprived eeg on July 17. I have a busy day that day too so I know the exhaustion is going to be intense and exhaustion is a big trigger for me.

My questions. Are you allowed caffeine to help get you through? (I'm going to ring the neurology department to clarify their guidelines). Also, energy drinks are another trigger for me. Is it a stupid idea to drink one not long before the eeg?

July 17.... You're having your EEG on my birthday though I'm guessing you're more excited than I am. I've already had numerous birthdays.

I think you should ask what you should do. Some doctors want to see if they can record neural misfiring without you using your triggers and maybe try some triggers on their own like strobe lights & hyperventilating. Others might appreciate the help.

I think they usually recommend avoiding caffeine but they usually give you a list of instructions...don't hesitate to call! Usually the EEG department can even tell you what they prefer.

I just called the neurology department. They prefer no caffeine... Though they didn't say no chocolate. :p

This is going to be tough. Hubby lost his licence last year and we get to get the car back on the road that day.

How have other people gotten through their sleepless night?

My hubby and I went for a late walk but he had to go to bed so he could drive me the next day without falling asleep.
I watched movies, did word finds, crocheted, watched bad tv, caught up on e-mails, but I made sure that I never laid down.
I found that if I kept my hands busy when it got really bad it helped. I did snack throughout the night. I did do a few long blinks so I was mostly sleepless but I'm sure I accidently snuck in 1/2hr by mistake.
The hardest was in the morning on the way there because I get sleepy in cars!
Try to make it fun and an adventure rather than a chore and get plenty of rest the night before!
Good luck!

Music, trashy beach reads, walking around...

Girly movies, popcorn, get into a series on netflix if you have it (I recommend 'The Big C' if you haven't watched it already), go through emails, play cards... whatever is fun and helps you feel good and that you're doing this for a good reason.
If the hubby can't do the night with you do you have a friend that's easy to hang out with who would be willing to come for a pyjama night? Or a sibling? It's easier to get through when someone's with you, yet let it be said you can have lots of fun by yourself too...

Back
Top Bottom