"Where Are Your Stitches Madame?"

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

burning the candle

Hi All

I am due a Colonoscopy soon, and I did ask the brain surgeon if maybe they could deal with the Hippocampus and then turn the trolley round while I was under the anaesthetic!! Ha Ha!! He did laugh!
No Elaine, That's called burning the candle at both ends. Very painful.

Good to see your back Elaine
Still praying that everything goes well for you.
God bless
Cheryl

Hi Bernard

Thanks for your good wishes, and thanks for explaining how to clear out my private messages, much appreciated! I just want to get on with my life now, no seizures, just some very powerful auras, but I've had them for so long now that it would be strange to be without them! I know some people have described them as almost a "spiritual experience" I've had a few where I've seen people, experienced, smelt, tasted being elsewhere, being with other people, it is so difficult to explain, but nothing has gone Secondary Generalised, I had two small problems since the operation, but on the whole, things look pretty good!

Thanks again for your help and support (wow! I just had an aura while I was typing this!All gone now thank God!)

Best Wishes

Elaine

Hi Jazz's Mum

Thanks for your good wishes, I seem to be doing ok, I have only had two very small problems since the op, it's mainly just auras, but I find them so terrifying sometimes that I have to stand with my back against a wall for a few minutes, how the human brain fascinates me!

I hope all is well with you? Do let me know, and keep in touch, even if I never had another seizure again, I would continue to do my bit to raise awareness.

Best Wishes

Elaine x

Hi Shelley

At both ends!!! Ouch!!! Lovely to have a sense of humour though eh? God if I ever lost mine I would demand to be shot!

At least the doctor managed to find out where my stitches were when they took them out, I had 25 clips in my head this time, I'm sure it wasn't that many last time I had brain surgery, I'm asking for a zip next time, Oh God, there won't be a next time, I just hope that I'll be out and about in my car in 47 weeks time!! It used to be 3 years seizure free here in the UK, can you believe that? My car has rusted away on the drive, and if I ever win the lotto, I want a Mazda MX5, yeah right Elaine...Dream on!!

Hope all is well with you?

Best Wishes

Elaine x

I'm so far past due on my colonoscopy .....................
and I've been thinking of posting a photo of my brain surgery................
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Are you really Nancy? For some reason I still dont like the way I look after the surgery. I am still getting used to the way I look.

Barnes Hospital in St Louis was pretty conservative about "haircuts" for temporal lobe surgery. They shaved just the left, front side of my head from maybe the lower, middle part down.
I bought hats, scarves and things like that but quickly learned that people never looked at an old woman like me if I just combed left-over hair down and forward. I did not wear a hat one time and did not feel "looked at" one.

Well, I am very happy to hear that. I did see a picture you sent me and you looked nice anyways. And I am sure Elaine does too. Today is the first day I have actually gone out in public. Which felt nice to get out but very nervous. I am sure we all look great everyone of us on this site. ;)

Be Loud Be Proud!!!

Hi Ashmstng

I'm sorry to hear you are still struggling with how you feel about your appearance, I guess I'm getting on really well with how I look and feel, because it's my second surgery, and I knew what to expect, looking back at photos of after my first op, my swelling and bruising this time, is in exactly the same place, which I guess makes sense, as the surgeon went in through the original scar, if God forbid there is a next time, it's a zipper for me!!

Try doing what I do when I walk into a crowded bar, I hold my head up high, and I just feel so proud and privileged to have been able to have this brain surgery when so many people can't see any light at the end of their tunnels, I can now and I have been 100 times better seizure wise since my op, just over three weeks ago. I can fully understand what you mean though, a woman's hair is her crowning glory right? I know that if my hair isn't right, then it doesn't matter what else does, or what I'm wearing, or what my perfume is like, I must tell you what I've done differently this time too. You can't see my scar, because I have brought three lovely elasticated sort of hairbands, I can't bear my ears to be on show, so the bands hold my right ear down, and cover the scar, plus they look really nice, I got a grey one, a brown one, and one that is like animal print, I don't feel quite so conscious when I'm wearing one.

I know you said that you had surgery on your left side, but just remind me when it was, and how successful it has been, have you been ok since? I'm still having the odd aura, I've had two very small Complex Partial Seizures since getting home, and that is it! That for me, is a result! I see the surgeon on August 20th for a follow up consultation, and I so so hope that I'm still doing well when I get down to London, because I am going to shake that guy's hand, he is simply amazing, and if this keeps up, and I can get driving again, and get a decent job, I will owe him so much. Ihope all is well with you? Sorry if I've repeated myself anywhere here, my memory is still as bad, but please drop me a line when you get the chance, we so must stick together all the guys on this wonderful website!

I look forward to hearing from you Ash, hold your head up mate, we are special people, and deserve to be proud of who we are, and what we are!

Take Care & Best Wishes

Loadsalove

Elaine x

Hi Nancy

That would be totally wicked to see a photo of your op! I would be fascinated to see mine, actually, I'm going to ask my brain surgeon to explain how he removed my right Hippocampus, I am totally intrigued by the human brain, and would love to know how he did it!

All is going well after my op, I am still having the occasional aura, I was having loads when I first came home, but I think things are settling down in my head now, and after only two small Complex Partial Seizures, I've had absolutely no problems since, and that's a good result in three weeks, I am praying that this has worked, I can drive again next June, and hope to get back into the industry that I know and love, heavy plant hire, Caterpillars and JCB's.

You said "old woman like me" how old are you? I'm just turned 45, but I feel like I did when I was 25, I hav ethe love of a wonderful man, a beautiful home, and a great band of friends, all I need now is a good job again, and an understanding employer.

Tell me about your surgery? All seems to be going well for me thank God, I just hope and pray that this is it for me, I want to get out there and catch up on so much. What type of surgery did you have, what type of seizures? I would love to hear back from you, and I hope that you are doing as well as I am at the moment.

Best Wishes

Elaine x

Brace yourself !!!!!

Let's see if I can post photos ................

The first shows the left side of my head (sharing ice cream with Belle) before surgery ................

The next shows ~shudder~ the left side of my head after the first surgery

Attachments

• belle & nug4.JPG
    belle & nug4.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Nancy scar1.jpg
    Nancy scar1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 6
Elaine - My first surgery, removing that nasty tumor from my left temporal lobe and a bit of the hippocampus, was Feb. 14, 2006. I didn't have a seizure for 9 (I think) months but then started again so had more surgery May 18, 2007. They used the same scar and the same whatever possible to remove a bit more brain tissure--- the part showing the seizure activity -- and all of the left hippocampus.
Soon after the second surgery I had an aura but the surgeon said it did not "count" as a seizure and I haven't had anything since then. I pray and pray and pray that the seizures stay away. I'll try to accept whatever God hands out.

Old woman? Two weeks ago I turned 64. I certainly feel 64. Shoot - I feel 74.
BUT I'M DRIVING --- I'M DRIVING ----- I'M DRIVING

lol - thanks Robin. Isn't it funny/sad that the photo of me with Belle makes me feel worse .... much more sad than the awful thing of me with staples? We lost dear Belle (she was 16) soon after I had the first surgery. Then the breast surgery and we lost her sister Jingle who had turned 18. Then the second brain surgery. Miserable time.

July 28, 2005, when a MRI "found" that tumor that started all of this and so many, so very many staggering changes rocked all of my life .........whew

Hello Elaine~
Thanks for the message. The last 2 days I actually made myself get out in public at shopping centers and went to eat. I never felt so nervous at first but I gave up. Nothing I say or do about myself is going to change the way I look. Saying things to myself go through ear and out the other but it pushes me forward. I have been trying to so hard like you said to keep my head up. Just after the surgery and about month or so I have never felt so depressed. But things are getting better, just slowly falling into place. I feel when I do show my picture its a relief or I feel stronger cause I went through a huge surgery. Like you said seizure free and driving free. I am trying to get there and go to school for Medical Assistant. I just havent because of my seizures. I really thank you for all the nice messages you send me. You have helped me with my problems and pushed me forward with a few words you said. I really hope you the best.:bjump:

I so far after the surgery had 2 auras which wasnt even a month after. No seizures. I also thought which was weird but if I cried no tears would come out of my left eye. Also my nose didnt run much on the left side. But that was about 2 weeks ago. Which if I do cry now or my nose runs it is fine. I thought it was the weirdest thing. I went to see the Neurologist on July 7th for a check-up. He said that all can happen from healing. "He asked me if I would ever do the surgery again if I had to?" I said yes I would. Whatever it takes to get rid of these seizures. I have felt good not having the seizures and looking forward to what I can do next. I am suppose to go back in 2 to 3 mths for a EEG & MRI check-up to make sure everything is ok. I will keep you updated.

:rose:~~~~~~~:rose:

Hello Nancy~
I want to thank you for showing me your pictures and answering my questions when I asked you. You have helped me on this also. I am happy you are doing better. Thanks! :yippee:

Attachments

• Me1.jpg
    Me1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 7
when I have my surgery I will go out however awful/strange my hair looks...I have even considered getting a butterfly tattooed on my head beforehand, so at least if people are gonna stare, I've given them something worth looking at!!:roflmao:

ashmstng ... no kidding here ..... if I were as beautiful as you because of a hair cut I'd shave my head this morning. I wasn't that pretty when I was was 25.

Loudmouth -- No tattoo! No tatoo anywhere. A MRI machine simply hates a tattoo and I imagine (I "know" so very little) that the MRI machines used in brain surgery would REALLY hate a head tattoo. This has something to do with the dyes used. (I hope you know I am easily confused and need to check out the stuff I say)

Hi Guys

It is Sunday 20th July 2008, I just wanted to update all you lovely people on my progress. I've still had no seizures, and I kind of feel positive, I am still having some auras, but not as many as when I first came home from hospital, I think the red wine helps! My appetite for food seems to have returned aswell, before I went into hospital I just didn't want to eat, especially in the evening, I'm trying to eat really healthy food, plenty of fruit and veggies, I also love fruit and fibre cereal in the morning, but God it makes you FART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have my sense of humour yeaaahhhh!!!!!!!!!

Apart from the fact that I resemble the Elephant Man at the moment, and I feel as though the right side of my face is sticking out and throbbing, and my hair is so wonky that I look like a New Age Traveller (God forbid!!) you wouldn't really know that I'd just had brain surgery, we were in our local pub yesterday, and a few guys came over to see how my operation had gone, and I was just so conscious of my face, but in another way, I feel really proud and privileged to have been given the chance to have this surgery, and I am so looking forward to seeing my surgeon in London on August 20th, he is such an amazing guy, can you imagine dipping into people's brains for a living?! I am so in awe of him, and we will be taking some photos of myself and him shaking hands for my book, if I ever get it finished, I wrote 25 A5 pages of notes when I was in hospital, and took lots of photos, I have a lovely picture of my scar, if anyone can tell me how to, I'll put it on this website? Duh!! Technophobe here!!

All joking aside, I am so tempted to go and see if my little car will start, it has rusted away a bit, and I haven't been near it for three years, I have a flat tyre, and a dent in the back where this idiot ran into me, just after I'd passed my bloody test in 2004! I can't wait to get mobile again, and I am desperately looking for a new job, I just want to get out there and start living again, plus the fact that I am totally skint! I haven't worked since February.

I hope you are all ok and still enjoying corresponding on this site, I just want anyone facing surgery to be brave, hold your head up, it is something that could ultimately change your life forever............. now all I need to do is win the lottery!!

Best Wishes All

Loadsalove
Elaine x

Nancy - hadn't occurred to me before, but you would be right because of the inks, some have metal compounds in...cheers for the 'heads' up! and Elaine, I'm glad to hear your recovery is still going well, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for the lottery win. Just remember....I'm only up the road if you do!!:roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom