12 step program for epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronb

New
Reaction score
My name is Ron Bauer and I have Epilepsy. There is not as of yet a 12 step program for this disorder but I am thinking of starting one because I hear it is not healthy to stop having seizures "cold turkey".:clap:

Anyway, I have joined epilepsy.com as a way to bring hope and health to individuals, famillies the community and myself.

I am specializing in identity and belief system work which has grown out of my struggles and journey with epilepsy.

So, I am happy to be here and look forward to sharing this path with you all!

My name is Ron Bauer and I have Epilepsy. There is not as of yet a 12 step program for this disorder but I am thinking of starting one because I hear it is not healthy to stop having seizures "cold turkey".:clap:

Are you kidding me, that is what I want to see, watching my son "ween" himself off SZ.

Last edited:
Hi Ron, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Glad to have another member with a sense of humor! You're going to need it in here....:paperbag:

:bigsmile:

Hey Ron,
Welcome to the forum! I like your sense of humor too. When you look at that different way, it makes you laugh and feel better atleast.... I have a son 9 yr old with cplx partial seizure. I fought against it enough & I am so scared / tired etc of it.
When I was watching some videos in You tube last week, I came across a child / even an adult, whose memory started shining like crazy (they could remember the calendar dates etc) like if you ask abt what day was july 4th in 95 etc. This power started right after a huge severe grandmal seizure it seems. Very interesting isn't it??
I am just hanging in there with all the side effects of the medication my child is taking.
Let me not vent too much to you, you are a new guy here. I will await more humor from ur end instead.
:) Amy

Hi Ron,

Welcom, and if there really is some such thing out there, I hope you find it and then pass it on. Good Luck.

12 Step Program

I was just kidding about the 12 step program in regards to epilepsy. However, since then I have discovered there really is a very successful 12 step program designed specifically for people with epilepsy.

It has been very successful in treating people with epilepsy for the past 20 years focusing more on the internal conflict of the individual (stress management and triggers), seeing seizures as a biproduct that can be minimized or alleviated completely.

I found this information by googling Epilepsy+Andrews+Reiter, hope it can be helpful.

Hasta la bye-bye!

12 Step

Ironically enough...I used to work there as a MFT (my profession) in the counseling aspect. Anyway, this was a very long time ago and I guess all I have done since then puts it as a distant memory (I must be loosing it!).

"live connected"

Ron

Just wanted to say Hi Ronb, welcome, I haven't been here long, but so far I like it. Hope you do to.

:hello: Ron!

Glad to have you here at CWE!
Dr. Donna Andrews is a sweetie,
and I too had spoken with her on
the phone.

I was wondering about this 12-Step
Epilepsy thing you had there ...

:ponder:

And was wondering if this was some
type of a new research and was trying
to locate it down and couldn't find it!
And now you state you were kidding!

:roflmao:

D'uh! No wonder why I couldn't find it!

:pfft:

Glad to have you here! Make yourself a
home and browse around and learn!

Dr, Andrews really does have an excellent program located in Santa Rosa and it is CBT with specific guidelines and training focusing on personal responsibality and internal change. There is a very high success rate in helping people to take control of thier seizures. In fact she has written a workbook entitled Taking Control of Your Seizures as a companion book to her program.

Check it out!

"live connected"

I can't find that on Amazon Ron.
Can it only be purchased through the program?
I am taking my daughter for a consult tomorrow at the EEG Institute, and will compare it to what I know of the Santa Rosa program. Perhaps I need to take a drive north as well.

What does CBT stand for?
You worked there, were you also a patient?

CBT = Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

I could not find the book being sold either. However, and possibly the book:Epilepsy A New Approach is a new book written by Andrews/Reiter. I just saw it through Amazon (for sale)and thought it might be helpful for you. I know I am going to check it out myself.

Best to you and your daughter.

Thank you Ron, I have read that book. It was written in 1990 and I sure wish they would do an update to the book. I learned quite a lot from reading this book, and it has sent me digging in new places.

Thanks for checking for me

Hello again: I don't know how to manage through a forum. After my wife left me, I became a myspace kinda guy. Forums have threads, thread tools, locks, etc. So I'll just reply to someone elses THREAD. All I know is from over 40 years of this crap, medication or surgery is the only way out for a person like me. I doubt if surgery is viable, so I (we) have to depend on meds. Lets go after Phizer legally if this new dilantin does turn out to be a different recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooooooo, Roflmao!!!!!!!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Ron, I'm tellin' ya, I just about fell out of my recliner laughin'!!!! Getting the strangest look, too, from hubby & youngest son.........

OOOOOOOOO, I love it...... a 12 step program for EP......

Now, now.............I LOVE your sense of humor!!

Welcome to CWE!:bigsmile:

Frankym55, What type of seizures do you have. Have you had surgery? If so, what type of surgery have you had. I understand the frustration. I went through mega meds, 2 surgery's and believe me I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom