24 -48 hour study

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mr. Pibb

New
Reaction score
Are their portable units that can track activities for longer than the normal EEG 60min. they seems to always yield results that at best are always or close to the same. Reason that I ask this is we can tell Dr. how we feel,what we experience for one visit to the next but it would be great for them to see what happens in a longer time from one that is in the now. Anyone

2 types of Mobile EEG's

Are you in reference to an

"aEEG"? - Ambulatory Electroencephalogram?
Where you wear the unit and can come
home and keep a log?

-OR-

"STM - vEEG"? - Short Term Monitoring,
Video Electroencephalogram - where you are mobile,
but blocked in a hospital and on a Digital Montage
Machine via a cable (which can range from 12' - 20'
long) - where you stay 1-3 days?

Both of the above are two types of
mobility recordings. The first one does
NOT record a video and is cheaper, but
only records brain waves and uses less
electrodes; but you get to go home.
The second one is a little more costly,
and is recorded on video but you do
have privacy (like the restroom) and
you are mobile - meaning you can move
around in the room, exercise, et cetera.
Not confined to the bed all the time.

Something like that

Yep!! That what I am talking about I'm 47 years olds young take your pick. I have been on the litany of Rxdgs over the last 35 + yrs. Dilantin all the way up to lyica with many in between. Have had EEG testing in the past and while it might give a base to start it does very little for the day to day living that we must all face. So I want to visit with the doc lost a really good one to a sleep therapy program he heads it up hear in St. Cloud MN need to find a new one that is pro- active. I have always been under the belief that when I visit with a DR. for the first time they are shall we say interviewed for the job, not me as the patient, that another story later time later date. So back to the question at hand of the two methods or if anyone has others that they want to throw into the ring so much the better. do we get varying degrees of result with one while getting so of the same in for from both and if so what type of info are these devices one would use as a selection process for those that qualify for VNS and or other non-evasive surgerie. Hope that this has stated clear enough to give response back
Jerry

vEEG's are actually BETTER, but
more costly than aEEG's; but vEEG's
have MORE ADVANTAGE over aEEG's
because they are able to monitor and
record everything with the Staff there,
who are fully trained and experienced;
having keen eyes as well, and so much
more.

And ANOTHER ADVANTAGE to having
a vEEG is the Doctor can give out orders
and they can induce seizures; ie: sleep
deprivation, if you know something
that will trigger seizures - like specific
music, video game, exercise to the
extreme, etc - and you would be in a
very SAFE PLACE! Because the Staff
are trained.

(You won't have to worry about getting
run over by a truck, getting burned,
or falling down the stairs, etc)

There's so much more that outweighs
to the vEEG's favor over the aEEGs;
but it is totally up to the Neurologist
or Epileptologist.

"If I were you" - I'd go with the vEEG.
I've been through it before, and I'd
do it again; in fact I actually BEGGED
my Doctors to put me back into vEEG
again, due to the Catamenial, but they
already have their recordings of various
epilepsies and I don't need it again,
but I might later on.

... So back to the question at hand of the two methods or if anyone has others that they want to throw into the ring so much the better. do we get varying degrees of result with one while getting so of the same in for from both and if so what type of info are these devices one would use as a selection process for those that qualify for VNS and or other non-evasive surgerie. ...

Anna at the NSE forums is very knowledgeable about the EEG testing - it's her job: video EEG vs. ambulatory/home EEG

The VNS is not "non-invasive". They do cut you open and it carries risks. There are some non-invasive alternative treatments listed in the chart linked in my signature. ;)

Back
Top Bottom