38 years ago today!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Andrew

Stalwart
Reaction score
It was 38 years ago today (20th February 2009) that I was first administered Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL) by my pediatrician in an attempt to stop my severe seizures. It was a success! All Antiepileptic Drugs were slowly stopped. I had been using vitamin B6 only, on a daily bases to control my seizures, for the first 19 years of my life. Then, when I was 19 years old, after doing much research and with my doctor's consent - I added a multi B complex tablet to my daily B6. This stopped an aura that I was experiencing almost every morning. All of my 'severe' seizures (TCs, myoclonic seizures, SPs, CPs... etc. (many different seizure types)) have been controlled for 18 -19 years, using B vitamins only.

In over 38 years of having seizures I have never used any Antiepileptic Drugs to control my seizures. Antiepileptic Drugs have no positive effects on my seizures.

I will always be very grateful to the professor who was doing research into childhood epilepsy at that time and who suggested to my pediatrician to administer vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL).

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Regards

Andy

Thank you Andrew for helping to get out the word that a deficiency in vitamins can cause seizures. I am so happy that you have remained seizure free. You are doing a great service to many. I know I never would have known about Vit B's effects if it hadn't been for you posting it.

I have been a big fan of experimentation if you want to call it with alternative treatments. I take my medication everyday, although the doctor is on the high end of dosage, which I cut back on myself. I take 5HTP and melatonin every night before I go to bed. I also take magnesium w/ calcium and zinc. Interesting about the B6. I have heard some good things about us folks and the B's. Good for you!! Thanks for sharing. I never tire of hearing what people accomplish by their own research plus an open minded physician.:bigsmile:

A lot of good info here at CWE about B6. It is also supposed to help counter some of the side effects of Keppra.

One note of caution: You can over dose on B6. It does not simply leave the body like most B vitamins. It works in conjunction with B12 and some others. I was on a dosage that should have been 'OK', but still started having toxic levels which mimic many E symptoms.

Basic message here is that it is generally good, but just like any other chemical we are adding to our bodies, it should be monitored (through blood tests in this case). Just becasue it is labled a vitamin, doesn't mean it is not a medication.

Hi BuckeyeFan,

You may be interested in reading some of the link at the following URL:

Vitamins and Seizures

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Regards

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom