48 hour eeg and or a sleep study

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

efowler25

New
Reaction score
So what is everyones thoughts on these test? Has anyone found it truly beneficial? We go back to the Dr. June 15th, in a little over a week. I have noticed over the past few months since he was diagnosed that his sleeping is not that great. Braydon just does not seem to get a restful sleep. To be honest we are much more alert to him now so Im wondering if he has always been this way. We have meet our deductible for the year and we are covered at 100% for the remainder of the year, with it being summer Im wondering if I should push for a sleep related study. What are some thoughts on it......

It could me just wanting to be overly efficient but Im wondering if I should ask the Dr to just go ahead and do it.

If you're thinking he may have seizure activity in his sleep, and money isn't an issue, then I think the 48hr EEG would be an effecient route.

They'd have 2 nights to track his EEG and see if there are any abnormalities in his sleep, or when he's awake, and from that hopefully be able to provide you with more information. :)

I think a sleep study would be a great idea if you can swing it. If there are issues (like apnea) that are contributing to his seizure acitvity, then it would be great to know about them.

My almost 17month old is a bad sleeper and I agree with the others if possible a 48hr eeg would be great. Do they do it in hospital or let your son go home with the unit attached in a small bag? My son had a 24hr one while he was in hospital, he was 8months at the time, and it was horrible for him as they wanted him to stay in this small cot so the camera could watch him and he had the usual EEG leads etc. It was the most un natural thing ever. His seizures were only "Shudder Syndrome" at that stage so not much showed.
Now his seizures have progressed I often wonder what a 24/48hr one would show these days!

I had this procedure and the results came back "no abnormalities as such" and I was discharged from his clinic. I asked my GP for a second opinion from a different neurologist who studied my journal and listened intently and I was prescribed medication... my seizures dropped from 109 to 5 a month over a 7 month period.

It is worth considering but do not put all your hopes in a diagnosis.
:)

It is worth considering but do not put all your hopes in a diagnosis.

:agree:

Almost 6 years after my first seizure, and every test has showed up "normal". However my seizures continued until they finally gave me medicine for them, and since then they've dramatically reduced. :)

I'm pleased for you Silat - 6 years is some time to go especially when you are young- well-done for hanging on in there!

I'm pleased for you Silat - 6 years is some time to go especially when you are young- well-done for hanging on in there!

Thank you! :D

For me, it's been a mixture of staying positive and viewing everything that gets thrown my way as a learning experience, rather than a problem. That little change in how one interprets things can make all the difference in the world :)

Thanks everyone for your input. We were VERY lucky on our intial diagnosis. He had a tonic clonic seizure while plyaing in the park on a Sunday. We were transported by ambulance to a near by hospital and seen there. After a CT scan, blood work and an EKG they released him. They told us to see a neurologist at a local childrens hospital within the week. After MUCH persistance I was given an EEG and a meeting with the Head of the pediatric neurology (guess they were tired of me calling and demanding an immediate appt) on the following Thursday after his first seizure. We went in for his EEG and saw the Dr a couple hours later. They said his brain was on the verge of a seizure the entire 90 minutes he was hooked up to the machine. The Dr diagnosed him right away and told me it that for the most part people do not get diagnosed after the first seizure. I consider us lucky, very lucky. My search is for more answers that I know I may never find. Allthough my son has adjusted and come through all of this like a champ I am not. I am the one having so much trouble and I dont let him know it. I am a planner...ive had my whole life mapped out since I was like 10 and that was not part of my plan and I think that is why I am so thrown for a loop. And to be honest when the intial seizure happened I went in to mom mode and never broke down, not even when we got the diagnosis. I was actually relieved about the diagnosis.....It could have been much much worse!! Now I am breaking down and I think this is why I have the sudden need to know more...more I can control and plan for.......sigh sorry Im rambling!!!!

Not rambling... i get it. :) glad you're here to help me feel more normal about my need for control over the uncontrollable.

Back
Top Bottom