5-htp

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TeeTees

New
Reaction score
Well, I went on the stuff for about a month, as I couldn't get to sleep too well, which in turn brings on sz's due to tiredness.

Now, I don't want to sound negative, but this is just a 'heads-up' on my experience with the stuff :

My seizure's changed to a point where having the night-time sz's I would no longer experience aura's....it would be a BAM, and there I am finding myself having to get out of bed as I was experiencing another male 'voice' threatening me. (I get out of bed to get away from 'him')

Because it was a new voice, I found it to be twice as disturbing as before, and therefore the sz would be alot worse.

I also found that I would occasionally have a sz when I got up in the morning - this had never happened before !

So, in a nutshell I quit the 5-HTP about a week ago. Since then, I now find that when I wake in the morning I am alot more alert than when on the 5-HTP. Plus, although I have had sz's since coming off, I do find that I have my aura's back, and the 'voice' I hear is the one I've had for most off my life, so if I'm strong enough (and alert enough) I can basically tell the 'entity' where to go (to put it polite) and the sz will be over in a matter of seconds.

I just wanted to post this as I thought it was important that people understand through my experience what 5-HTP can do.

I didn't want to have to take any sleep-aids, but as my sleep patterns were (and still are at times) awful, I was clutching at straws and found this to be the best option.

But in my opinion, if you are taking some kind of sedative, you may as well be drinking alcohol, as you will be pretty much unaware of any sz's you have had (if you have them during the night), as you surely cannot have complete control of a drugged brain, right ?

^^ I know that last quote seems a bit harsh, but it's just the way I'm thinking about Epilepsy and sedatives - it just can't be a good thing in my opinion.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you guys. ;)

I give it to Rebecca, and I don't see any negative side effects from it. I give her 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night. I was doing it more for the feel good aspect.

Sorry you didn't get any positive results TT. Rebecca never seems to have a warning, and has most of her seizures during the day. Not any during sleep (that I know of) .... oh and no one heard me say that, cuz as soon as you do... then it will happen. I have been getting a bit superstitious lately

Thanks for sharing your experience TT. Some folks swear by it and others relate similar negative or non-beneficial experiences. Just like with AEDs and other therapies, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all.

Thanks for sharing your experience TT. Some folks swear by it and others relate similar negative or non-beneficial experiences. Just like with AEDs and other therapies, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all.

You're welcome Bernard. I too agree with 'what works for one, may not work for another'. I just thought it would be good if I list out my experiences just in case other's try it and get similar experiences, and are a bit confused with what's happening. ;)

Rebecca never seems to have a warning, and has most of her seizures during the day. Not any during sleep (that I know of) .... oh and no one heard me say that, cuz as soon as you do... then it will happen. I have been getting a bit superstitious lately

Robin, funny you should mention the above ^ . I am VERY superstitious with regards to mentioning the E word (I whispered that)....I swear someone is listening at ALL times. <wink wink, nudge nudge>

Back
Top Bottom