6.5 hr EEG results

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crowind

New
Reaction score
Well I got my results from my 6.5 hr EEG. mabey someone can put it into words that make sense? it states. a single burst of left temporal sharp theta activity is seen, without interrupting the ongoing background, probably a benign variant. background: symmetric 9 hz alpha rhythm is seen while awake. brief periods of non-slow wave sleep show symmetric sleep activities, are they crazy!?? how is anybody going to make any sense of that?? they want me to go and stay there and do a long EEG he said he wants to catch the ones that make you bout passout. any help here? thank you. crowinthewind.

Hello again Crowinthewind!.....

Man, unfortunately I'm personally at a loss here except to say the longer EEG hopefully will reveal the true nature of your situation to those looking for information! If you can stand it...maybe the knowledge could help you get past your current obstacle, you know? By the same token, you shouldn't do anything that causes you TOO much pain....it is YOUR decision and you must be able to live with it!

I hate the process sometimes...but appreciate knowing what's going on so I can make my decisions with full knowledge.

Hang in there!
:rock:

Benign means harmless, nothing to worry about. For the others, it sounds like it isn't conclusive, why they would want to do a longer term study. Ask your neurologist to explain it in terms that make sense to you. Even if this or other studies show you are having seizures, remember, it doesn't tell you why or what to do about it. As Speber is pointing out, a longer EEG will give an opportunity for them to, hopefully, observe you when you are having seizures and record whether or not it is originating in any particular area of your brain. That's very good information to have, regardless how you may choose to treat whatever this turns out to be.

Brain waves are typically classified as belonging to one of five frequency ranges - alpha, beta, delta, theta and gamma. When you are awake, you should have mostly alpha and beta wave activity. Theta and delta wave activity should be higher during sleep (and deep meditation).

a single burst of left temporal sharp theta activity is seen, without interrupting the ongoing background, probably a benign variant.

Too much theta activity while awake can be a sign of a low seizure threshold. My wife's last QEEG showed her theta activity while awake as what should be normal for people who are asleep!

background: symmetric 9 hz alpha rhythm is seen while awake. brief periods of non-slow wave sleep show symmetric sleep activities

Alpha waves run from ~6-12 hz IIRC (that's off the top of my head). The "normal" alpha rhythm whlie awake for a 7 year old boy should be ~10 hz.

I'm not entirely sure what the second sentence means, but it sounds to me (and I'm not an EEG professional nor a doctor) like your brain waves are a bit slower than they should be.

Crowind:

From what I am reading, if correctly, was a
restless "normal" EEG - so they want to do a
STM (short term monitoring) like 1-2 night stay
or a LTM (long term monitoring) like 3 days or
more - to do a EEG study on you if done in
Hospital ...

OR

They could do an aEEG (ambulatory)EEG, which
enables you to go home and wear it all the time,
like 24 hours or 2 days, and then come back and
they will review it.

This will enable them to review your EEG better.

I am not a "MEDICAL DOCTOR" either - but that
is what it is appearing to me as ..

Back
Top Bottom