8 days of school left

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
And I couldn't be happier. I know it's going to be a long summer with the kids fighting and claiming to be bored, but I'll take it.

I have reached the end of my rope with doing homework with my favorite 8 year old in the world. She sleeps through alot of her day, (If it isn't something that requires active participation she is usually sleeping.) so of course she is missing a ton there. She will not ask for help if/when she doesn't understand an assignment. She was supposed to read this 20 page book and then write a journal entry (5 sentences) as though she were one of the characters. I explained it 5 times, and she was still in tears telling me she has no clue what to do. I was getting tempted to tell her, what to write just to get it done and over with. :oops: She gets SO overwhelmed with school that all she does is cries and wants me to homeschool her (not an option) I know next year is going to be worse as the work will be harder and more of it. I really hope that the school will agree to something/anything so we can have a good year and she doesn't hate school.

See if you have a Boys and Girls club in your area. I sent my 7 yr old there last summer and she loved it. They only charged $20 a week and the kids really have a wonderful time. She had her birthday party there. We ordered pizza and brought gal buckets and I made cupcakes for everyone...300 cupcakes.

Our local one is renovating so I don't know what we are going to do with her this summer.

Yea!! We finished yesterday! I am right there with you..I couldn't wait for the last day. No more homework, lunches to pack and also no real schedule, unless we want one. I love summer time. WHich is odd for me, because I actually like cool/cold weather much better. But, I do love when the end of the school yr. rolls around. Our son will be a Senior!!!!! I cannot believe it! And our Daughter will be in 8th grade. I can't believe our son will be heading to college in a yr. I love having teeneagers. I know that most parents complain about how hard and terrible it is..and trouble etc..I love it. I think it is so fun and great to see their growth from little children into becoiming an adult(before we know it) It reminds us of when were that age. Such fun,fond memories.Our kids actually really enjoy being with us and bringing all their friends over to our house. This school yr. flew by! It's sort of sad too. One of these days, they will be all grown up and we'll wish they were small again. But then we'll be in another new phase of our lives. Sorry, didn't mean to get so deep. I was just reflecting on the kids and school and how fast things go by. Have a wonderful, fun and relaxing summer.

Michelle : )

W H A T ?????

I am not ready for this. I love my M-F schedule just as it is.
I do love summer, it is the change in schedule that I am thrown by.
Rebecca is going to be taking her language requirement at the local Community College. She has chosen ASL - American Sign Language.
At her school she is taking English refresher, and Advanced dance required for those that want to be chosen for the Dance Company.
YIKES! I am tired already. Sure wish she was driving.

We just had a hugh thunder storm so I am not feeling summer in front of me yet.

Busy Bees Time!

Consider yourself lucky!

All the kids are already out of school down here! And
to put it this way:

"KIDS GONE WILD!"

Good thing I have my ADT Security System!

But here's some simple things that will keep them busy
and it's cheap too - you can get this stuff from the
Dollar Store.

1) Street Chalk (if you have a driveway, sidewalk, or
on the street) - it will keep them busy and you can
wash it off - they love to have fun and it'll keep them
busy.

You have to tell them there is no "RIGHT OR WRONGS"

a) YOU make the theme - and then draw a line and
every 15 minutes, stop them - and then you have
to tell them they now have to go work on the other
person's picture - and keep them rotating.

b) One BIG THEME - where everyone can put whatever
they want and anywhere they want. (One thing I did
was outline a "Beach" for example, and water - and the
kids all did the rest and it was hilarious!)

c) Have them scribble some craziness as much as they
can and (using #2 below) and throwing little water balloons
on it - and it's really awesome to watch their artwork turn
into something else!

2) Invest in Balloons - and fill it up with water, and
have a water balloon fight. (It helps to have small
buckets if you have it and everyone has equal amount
of water balloons)

3) Invest in flashlights - El Cheapo, Aluminum Foil, and
Cheap Batteries. Tape Aluminum over the flash light
and YOU poke the holes where they want it (no more than
7 holes - with a pencil point). And if your hand is steady
enough, you can actually cut out a small character from
the Comic Section and tape it to the foil, and then cut it
out, and the kids would have fun at night. Snoopy, Garfield,
et cetera ... on the ceiling, walls, and they'd be laughing!

4) Make PLAYDOUGH! FROM SCRATCH! There's nothing more
fun to them by having it "I did this all by myself!" (use food
coloring and avoid straight red and blue, use it sparingly);
and even more fun - is BISQUICK - these kids will actually
EAT it ... Purple, Green, Yellow, Orange, etc Bisquick Biscuits!
And even MORE FUN is pulling out your drawer and the Holiday
Cutters ~ baking them until they're hard and letting them
waterpaint, color, ink, et cetera - their artwork, and then
you can spray it with matte or varnish. (Cheaper than Plaster
of Paris) - this part they cannot eat.

5) Kool-aid Frozen = in JELLO TRAYS! Kids love to munch on
these stuff (with their hands) ---- OUTSIDE of course! This
is great before the water balloon fight or after it.

I could give you more list of fun things. I used to be a
Recreation Supervisor III way back in the 70s Era; and
I could provide you a ton of list that would keep them
busy! Don't forget "MOVIE DAY" - It doesn't have to be
out of the house, but be sure to have ...
:pop:
and those videos if you have it...

I've seen Dollar Store have 2 for $1 - movies!

Last edited:
Robin,

You do have a point about schedules..it is nice ..sometimes. But I also love not having to tell the kids to go to bed too early(not that our son ever does!) And I love being up and out late on summer nights. Going to the pool or vacation..or just hanging out with friends or neighbors. I guess the dog days of summer do stink. I hate when it get too hot..then I am ready for school to start again because I know Autumn is around the corner!!

Michelle

I am going to enjoy that not having to try and finish 20 math problems for an hour, not having to pry her out of bed after she has had 11 hours of sleep but claims that she didn't sleep at all, being able to enjoy the evenings instead of having to come in at 7 for bedtime routine, and not having to get up at 6:00 so that I can spend 30 minutes trying to motivate 2 children to get dressed, cuz otherwise theri classmates will laught at them. We can swim, lounge and do nothing "scheduled" for 86 whole days!!

Wow, that's a lot of days. We only had about sixty days when I went to school.

Angel,

I remember those days well...My kids are alot easier now. Occasionally our son will continue to sleep after the alarm goes off. We are trying for the last yr. or so to make him more responsible for himself and get him ready for college when we won't be there. He's a good kid. They both are. We can't complain at all.
As for Math..I really suck. I always have the kids go to Dad for help. Thankfully our son is is great and on his own. Our Daughter has needed some help here and there, but her teacher was wonderful and really got her on track. We were very proud ..she actually ended up with the highest grade in her class..and at the beginning of the yr. was near failing. Math is totally different from when we were kids. The way the teach it. So I feel for you with the whole Math thing!

M

Michelle,
I know what you mean with the math thing. That subject was my worst one along with english. About the only subject tat I was good at was science.

Back
Top Bottom