A bit embarassing...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
...but I'm sure I'm not alone. Apart from GM seizures - the falling and thrashing around. I've been experiencing night time incontenence. I wake up startled to find I've lost entire bladder control. My neurologist said this is also a GM seizure. Has this happened to anyone? I've been under alot of stress (just now trying to manage it better). I have no clue as to why this happens and was wondering if anyone experiences the same and/or has any explanation?
Always - Laurie

:agree: w/ the neuro - it's likely a sign that you had a seizure (either complex partial or tonic clonic).

When my wife had nocturnal TCs, she could always tell in the morning because her calf muscles and tongue were usually sore.

I've been there. Nothing feels worse then waking up from having a seizure in a public place, just to find that you wet yourself. :( It's embarrassing, I know. Luckily for me, it doesn't happen often. You might find that the wetting decreases as the amount of stress your under goes down. But there's no way to know for certain.

That was my 'normal' seizure when I was a kid, was to wet myself. I spent many days walking home from school in a pair of wet trousers.

I still get the odd occasion when I have a nocturnal seizure, and find I've 'relieved' myself.

I think it's the above problem which relates to why I tend to get OUT of bed.....probably some psychology part to that

Unfortunately that is one of the aspects that can follow a tonic-clonic (grand mal) seizure. As I understand it, this is usually not a part of the seizure itself, but the extreme relaxation of the muscles following the seizure. This did not always happen with mine, but was just another reason to I hate a seizure.

While an EMT, I saw this several times. I think it was always after.

I wrote in another thread about injuries during seizures. The last one I had I bruised my ribs when I fell. I wondered if the pain brought me out of the postictal state faster. No bladder issues that time. I am thinking that maybe I didn't relax as much afterward due to the chest pain.

I was lucky, it was a tent stake that I hit on my way
down.

:ponder:

It is the one thing I was always relieved that didn't happen to Rebecca. Though others would make a comment about the fact that it didn't happen, as if it was just another sign that she was "faking" them. Perhaps I was too sensitive, and they were jut making an observation. I just always picked up on the "observations".

Thanks Robin

It is the one thing I was always relieved that didn't happen to Rebecca. Though others would make a comment about the fact that it didn't happen, as if it was just another sign that she was "faking" them. Perhaps I was too sensitive, and they were jut making an observation. I just always picked up on the "observations".

Hi Robin - I will be looking into tonic-clonic seizures. It makes sense that the body relaxes (too much!) after one.
Always - Laurie

PS Would you let me know if you got this. Am experimentingvwith "quote" replys. Thanks.
Always - Laurie

Tonic-Clonic Seizure

:agree: w/ the neurologist - it's likely a sign that you had a seizure (either complex partial or tonic clonic).

When my wife had nocturnal tonic clonic seizures, she could always tell in the morning because her calf muscles and tongue were usually sore.
Much nicer put than .... night time incontenance! I only ached when I had to change the sheets! Laurie

PS Would you let me know if you got this. Am experimentingvwith "quote" replys. Thanks.
Always - Laurie

Yup I got it just fine :clap: good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
tonic clonic

Welcome to the wonderful world of tonic sz when I have bit my tougne always the left side if there is a side to ones tougne often it is associated with loss of bladder control for me they seam to go hand in hand
Jerry

Laurie:

Hate to state this, but Tonic-clonic
(new terminology) aka Grand Mal
(old terminology), it happens! It
has with me, but not all the time.
That's why I have a special bed
protector, for that reason, or other-
wise, I'd be broke by having to buy
so many mattresses!

PS: it's a good idea to get a good
quality 100% cotton, typically the