A Question about Aqua Dots & seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Alot of you may remember my daughter Abigail that had the weird screaming seizures that happened basically all at once going from hardly 1 seizure every month or 2 to having about 60 seizures per day and then they finally did the brain surgery. I asked alot people on here how they could all of sudden change from still little seizures to all-out screaming seizures with hallucinations, head-aches & just all-out weird behavior. Bernard was very helpful to me but didnt know exactly what could be going on with her & you guys were awesome. But another qusetion now is, she put several aqua dots in her mouth and swallowed a few in front of me at the end of July & beginning of Aug 07 & I also told her doctors about this then. My 6 year old had just got them at the end of July for her birthday and i noticed Abigail had some in her mouth a few days later, then all these major, strong & screaming seziures came with hallucinations shortly after and my problem is i cannot remember the exact date but it had to be within a day of her putting them in her mouth. I have learned now that they have been recalled b/c they contain GHB in the glue & I am trying to get opinions on wether anyone may think this may be connected with what happened with Abigail and why everything happened all at once. I first contacted you guys at the end of July when all of this started happening & thats when she put them in her mouth. Please let me know all of your opnions and I am open to any suggestions. Thanks guys.. -Jessica

Hi Jessica,
What are Aqua Dots?

Sorry I just went online and did a search...
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Aqua Dots

Units: About 4.2 million

Distributor: Spin Master, of Toronto, Canada

Hazard: The coating on the beads that causes the beads to stick to each other when water is added contains a chemical that can turn toxic when many
are ingested. Children who swallow the beads can become comatose, develop respiratory depression, or have seizures.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08074.html

I was thinking that that would be your answer... but I have to say we never know do we.
I would have strong suspicions though as a parent.
We all really need to pull ourselves back away from consumerism and live a more natural lifestyle, for the health of our little people.
It is truly the only way we will know if our choices are causing some of the ill health we are seeing.
Sure the medical world is awesome in how it can keep up with all that is thrown its way, but ultimately it begins with our choices.
IMO

Last edited:
They are those little dots that you put together on a tray and spray them with water and they make pictures. Just do a search and it will be able to tell you what they are better than me. Thanks and i have actually heard that alot, b/c alot of people dont know what they are.

These are made for children? It was suppose to be eaten or is a craft material?

Aqua Dots

No, they areent supposed to be eaten but they are approved for 3 & up and they are supposed to be non-toxic and safe for toddlers. little ones are always putting something in their mouth but wether they do or dont these aqua dots were supposed to be safe, This is why I bought them and my daughters were old enough to play with them. They were at the time 3 & 6. They are a craft of little plastic balls that make pictures when you put them in a tray and spray them with water. But the glue they used was actually a "date-rape drug" called GHB and I would not call that "non-toxic" at all. They have killed several children and caused other children to be in comas in the hospital with seizures etc. They do kind-of look like candy, which is why my daughter probably thought they were and put them in her mouth. They were supposed to be safe for 3 years and up, and also if they were swallowed it wasnt supposed to present a danger.

WOW.... goes to show we can't trust manufacturers of products to keep our loved ones safe.
I just found this book on Amazon and it might be worth it for all of us taking care of little ones to read.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Allergic-Twentieth-Century-Environmental-Allergies/dp/0316732214/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1_rsrsrs0"]Allergic to the Twentieth Century: The Explosion in Environmental Allergies--From Sick Buildings to Multiple Chemical Sensitivity: Peter Radetsky, Bill Phillips: 9780316732215: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JG7A46BML.@@AMEPARAM@@51JG7A46BML[/ame]
I personally think my duaghter is extra sensitive to something in her environment, and it just might be additives in her food. So even though "processed food" is suppose to be non toxic, for some it just isn't.

Is Abigail seizure free now after her surgery? I guess you just have to count your blessings that her body reacted in such a way that you were able to resolve a problem before it got worse. Certainly the company has those deaths on their conscience.

She will actually have regular Epilepsy from now on due to the scar tissue in her brain, and she will be on 2 seizure meds from now on as well. Keppra & Trileptal But, before they said she would probably grow out of her seizures but now it is apparent she will have the abnormal eeg and epilepsy from now on. Before, she had small seizures and had a normal brain scans & normal eegs. She only had abnormal eegs post aqua dots and it all happened very quickly. She still can sometimes zone out like before July but nothing close to what they were in aug. & the end of July..

I am so sorry to hear that.
Is there any recourse from the manufacturer of this product?

Recalled Products .... Good to see you posting again!

Good to see you posting again, but
how awful to hear what happened!

:(

And yes you're correct, actually there
was a recall on Aqua-Dots some time
ago I believe - I think they're on the
toy recall list (look on product number),
it should reveal the product ID number,
package info, etc.

Remember, just because an item was
recalled doesn't mean ALL items are
recalled ... that's why it's important
to look for the product ID number, package
info (serial number, code, etc). The
instructions will tell you how to take
it back or a toll-free number to call
and they will tell you what to do.

I wanted to let you guys know that hers was in fact part of the recall and so hers was one of the ones that the wrong chemicals were used to make the glue. So hers in fact were tainted by GHB. I bought this set on Ebay and the person who got them in a large quantity has actually been asked to send them back to "aqua dots" b/c they are part of the recall. She has informed me of all of the facts and still has several sets left over that wasnt sold before the recall. I am having the dots that I have put up tested as well so there is no mistake. But, yes they were part of the recall & all bought between April 2007-Septemeber 2007 were recalled b/c they were all made with the same chemical thats said to be GHB.

Dang! So sorry to hear of that!

:(

While it's off the topic - how's your
little one doing so far???

She is doing well for now. Its almost like it was before hardly any seizures and nothing like status elepticus seizures. So anything is better than before, but we are dealing with much more hyperness since they said that part of the brain being removed may make her hyper or more calm but it seems to have went the hyper-way.

She is doing well for now. Its almost like it was before hardly any seizures and nothing like status elepticus seizures. So anything is better than before, but we are dealing with much more hyperness since they said that part of the brain being removed may make her hyper or more calm but it seems to have went the hyper-way.

Future NASCAR Driver?

:)

Last edited:
Oh no not age appropriate, she is very hyper, even her neuro can barely handle her during appointments b/c she is climbing the walls.

So sorry you are having to deal with this. I do hope you get a break occasionally.
I have been so touched by the recovery videos on Stan Kurtz's website (above) that it might give you some ideas as to other approaches.
I wish you luck

Hi Jessica, nice to see you again. I hope 2008 brings you and Abigail good tidings.

I'm afraid I haven't researched the aqua dots/GHB issue, but it sounds like it definitely affected Abigail. Have you tried contacting the Consumer Product Safety Commission? I wonder if there is any class action lawsuit, insurance program or something that offers relief for families affected by it.

Yeah, My husband called someone wanting to know more about the recall & what effects it has had on the other children & we have found out that all the symptoms are the same as Abigail's was. Well, I am not entirely sure of their medical history as that is confidential but they are all very similar. Seizures, hallucinations, coma, throwing up, etc. I know that you said a while back that your wife acted weird during a seizure and we actually have one back from the beginning of August where she was screaming and terrified during her seizure, and Bernard, I would love to have your opinion, if it reminds you of your wifes "weird" seizures. I am not sure how to get it on here but I am trying today to get them put on dvd and then I may be able to get them on my computer. Do you have any suggestions on how to show this clip to you or anyone else that may have witnessed weird seizures? I have been very careful on who I have showed this too in the beginning b/c it can downright frighten & make a grown person cry to watch her as it is very disturbing. But I feel like we need answers "now" for abi's sake. This whole thing has been like a nightmare that never ends! Oh and another funny thing is, since my husband has contacted people on this situation, we have been contacted by several lawyers wanting to take Abigails case on. Thats kinda freaky as I never would have thought it to be a huge deal with a childs toy. I am very overwhelmed. What is your guys opinion? Oh and I just got your "Nascar" comment, Brain. LOL! Ya maybe she will be!

Back
Top Bottom