abdominal migraines and basiler artery migraine

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

leonard

New
Reaction score
ok here i am again my son just had another one of his so called seizure episodes again on last saturday ended up in hospitol fo two day only to find out that he might be haveing abdominal migraines(basiler artery migrain) and given elavil to hopefully prevent this from happining again. now we got to start him on it. has anyone heard of this before. and what about elavil for kids

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have heard of it before. I don't have sites right now to link you to, it is late. If you want to, you can do a Google search of abdominal migraine. See what you find.
If not I will check it out tomorrow some time.

Sorry to hear this. I had a friend whos son had this and when she used a method, I think Suzanne Sommers suggests it, where you eat certain foods together and wait to eat other food later. She said it made a huge difference.

I also wonder if a GI diet would be helpful, or try an elimination diet of no carbs and dairy for a month and see.

I had never heard of it. The abdominal migraines sound like they could be related to the "gut brain", but the Basilar migraines appear to be a nerve issue:
Abdominal Migraine

Some forms of childhood migraine do not involve headaches. An abdominal migraine is characterized by recurrent vomiting, severe abdominal pain and stomach upset. Episodes may last for an hour or more, interspersed with periods of normal health.

Also called cyclic vomiting, abdominal migraine episodes peak in frequency between five and nine years. A diagnosis is made, in part, by ruling out other possible stomach ailments.

Basilar Migraine

Common in children, a basilar migraine occurs when the basilar artery spasms. The artery is located in the brainstem. Visual aura often occur with a basilar migraine. The visual disturbances start in one eye, and then gradually spread to cover the entire field of vision. Nausea, vomiting, vertigo, visual difficulties and muscle weakness are all symptoms.

Basilar Artery Migraine (BAM)

I am wondering what symptoms your son has. My son has been very ill for almost 2 years with severe stomach pain and vomiting. He is being treated for abdominal epilepsy and was previously treated for abdominal migraines. He is very sick and he has lost an incredible amount of weight. I was wondering if your son is experiencing the same things.

My daugher is 9 years old and has been having migraines almost every month. She will wake up between 3 and 5am crying of a bad migraine on the right side of her head and then vomit off and on until about 2pm. Then she's good as new and goes on with her day as if nothing happened. She's had two MRI's, but they've been normal. I haven't taken her back to the doctor, but she had another one this morning, this time on the left. This is the first time she's had a left-sided migraine. I'm considering taking her back to the doctor to make sure nothing more serious is going on.

I think

perhaps it's time to take you daughter to a different doctor, cocktail. You need to get some answers, at the very least.

I think so too, I've been preoccupied with my own illnesses I've completely neglected my daughter's (she has season asthma too). I feel like a bad parent sometimes, it's time to step it up though, she's my life, I would never forgive myself if something ever happened to her that could have been prevented.

Back
Top Bottom