Abscense Epilepsy and Boxing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've had abscense seizures for about 5 years now, was deemed fit and didn't need medicine anymore about two years ago, but after a car accident caused by an early morning seizure, i was swiftly put back on depakote. About a year ago I started watching boxing, and i fell in love with the sport. I knew immediately what my future had in store for me. Everything about it, and about 6 months ago i started training alone, working out and occasionally sparring with my brothers (every sparring session has happened without me having any seizures during or after). I believe I'm ready to join a boxing gym and take things to the next level. But there's one very obvious problem, my seizures.

While I haven't had any in a very long while I'm still taking the medicine, and I'm very much worried that I won't be able to box because of my seizures.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with this and could fill me in. Could things get worse? Would I even be allowed to box? I really don't want something I have no control over to stop me from following through with the only dream, the only real goal, I've ever had in my idiotic and weird life. Just these thoughts alone are devastating. I'm begging for a seasoned or professional opinion.

To be honest Donald, I don't think Boxing is a very good idea if you have epilepsy, but then I don't think Boxing is a good idea anyway! it's up to you, you make your own choices and pay the consequences if their are any. I hope my post does not sound unfriendly, but whatever the safe guards, I don't think hitting people in the face is at all safe or appealing.

Nick
:)

Hi DonaldcRagin --

Boxing tends to be counter-indicated because of the potential for damage to a brain that is already at risk -- scarring and concussions can lower seizure threshold. Even minor injuries can cause accumulated damage over time, which can in turn up the risk for TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) and associated side effects: Headaches, seizures, endocrine disorders, arthritis, sleep disorders, obesity/overweight, cholesterol, high blood pressure, early dementias, falls, and swallowing disorders, etc.

You might be interested in these threads from the archives:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/can-i-do-boxing-epilepsy-11339/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/list-sports-epilepsy-5654/

Back
Top Bottom