Absence Seizures Worse in the Morning?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

T's Dad

New
Reaction score
Our 15-month old daughter has frequent absence seizures, but we notice that they usually are much worse in the first half of the day. Most days, if she has them at all (we get an occasional day with none), they happen between waking and, say, noon or 1 pm. She is also generally more sluggish (less active, less talkative, more tired-looking) in the first half of the day.

By afternoon she is usually her happy little self, with no evident seizure activity, and looking more alert. And by evening she is usually at her best -- romping around and chatting away.

I know that all people -- babies too -- have their own rhythms. (Daddy isn't a morning person either!) But I also wonder if there is more to it than that? Her a.m. trough syrum level has measured just fine, but perhaps it has something to do with when she gets her doses (she gets the full daily dose in thirds -- 8 am, 2 pm, and 8 pm)? Does anyone have similar experiences? Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated!

T's Dad

Perhaps it is related to food/digestion/blood sugar? It's been a while since you last ate when you wake up in the morning.

My 3 year old had his SZ between 10 am and 12 noon and 6 pm til 7 pm for almost 3 weeks. You could set your clock to it.

His medician (tregratal) was matabolizing too fast in his body. It is something I deal with. I do not take any meds for anything anymore b/c they do not work on me. My body matabolizes them too quickily and for them to work I would have too take 2x's the dose. Which I refused to do, so I just stopped.

I agree w/ Bernard .... maybe blood sugar ?

When I had my long term veeg - they ACCIDENTALLY (well I dont believe in accidents) tested my blood sugar .... they mixed me with a diabetic (I even went the first full day in there w/ no hosp id tag) .... anyway my blood sugar was in the 30s. So it was a nice little hospital "accident" .... the endo department like decended on me.

Stupid me - I KNEW that was low but I didnt think it was a BIG deal.

& I KNEW my blood sugar runs low - my sister is a type 1 diabetic & Ive had lots & lots of 40s on her meter ....

But I didnt think much of it.

Ive had doctors suggest on & off that maybe I had a low blood sugar prob - but nothing really definite.

What Ive been told too is you can get used to low blood sugar. So where someone having a blood sugar of 50 might get a little wonky - it takes me lower to get wonky.

But what we did figure out is that my tc's (which seem to be mroe numerous than I though -all seizures more numerous than I thought, eeg tells it all) - the tc's ONLY occured w/ low blood sugar which they did both finger stick & venously (fingersticks arent 100% accurate).

Now I have a meter & I test at nite (Well during the day too) but night-time - wow do I go low ! & Im not w/ it when I am. I wake frequently now to juice-sticky kitchen floors ....

I was lazy a few days ago w/ snacking at nite & did have a tc.

Anyway thats my story .... I just wouldnt have thought of blood sugar being such a big trigger ....

For the partial seizures - my triggers are different & my blood sugar can be completely normal during those .... but I always test now - b/c interestingly Ive been finding that a lot of my partial seizure symptoms are just like my low blood sugar symptoms .... & SOMETIMES it may not even be a seizure at all but a low blood sugar incident .... I cant know for sure of course if it was JUST low blood sugar but I seem to recover quicker from a low blood sugar incident (when snacking on protein/ juice).

I hope you find out.

Some times you can wake her up before she gets up and give her meds time to get into her system again. Then when she wakes up she is better. Talk to the doctor first.

Back
Top Bottom